Another AR guru question

Another AR guru question

This is a discussion on Another AR guru question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What do I need to do to replace my existing front hand grip? What do you suggest for a new fore end? I'm not willing ...

Thread: Another AR guru question

VIP Member

Another AR guru question

What do I need to do to replace my existing front hand grip?

What do you suggest for a new fore end? I'm not willing to spend more than about $150.

AR 1.jpg
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Bravo Company, Spikes Tactical sell parts. Not too bad on prices and easy to install. Instructions usually come with parts but make sure they are for the proper length. Mid- Length, Carbine or Rifle.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

First, what's your need or want? Better looks, or do you want a rail? Obviously a rail give you lots of options, such as a vertical foregrip and a light mount. My advice is to try a carbine with a VFG to see if you like it before you commit to the trouble of installing one.

Simply replacing the existing forend with a similar design or to install a heat shield is pretty straightforward. However, installing a rail, especially a free-floating one, requires additional tools which might require a gunsmith if you're not willing to buy them. For example, the gas block has to come off, which will daunt some folks. Brownell's has some videos that are quite informative, like this one - http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...loat_Handguard
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

If you don't want to end much, the Magpul MOE is one of the best on he market. Rails are available as well as sling mounts and light kits. I can't recommend a quality quad rail for $150 or less, so that's what I'd do.

Accessories at the bottom of the link as well - http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG405/50
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    If you're on a budget, take a look at YHM's offerings. http://www.yhm.net/store/forearms.html Their fore-ends are at or under your price point, and are quite good, IMO.

If you want a free-floating barrel, I would recommend their diamond-pattern or light-weight options to avoid adding too much weight to the front of the rifle. If your mainly after the rails and don't want to mess with removing the FSB or barrel nut, they also make 2-piece quad rails that just replace your existing handguards, no smithing required.

I'm currently using a YHM diamond-pattern carbine length on my main AR. No complaints, it does what it's supposed to and it doesn't weigh much.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member
    Great! Thanks guys. Now I have a little more info to go on.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    To drop in another rail it helps to get the proper tool, they are under twenty bucks. You can do it with a buddy's help without the tool, gotta hold down the ring to release the grip. Like others said, what are you trying to do? Do not cheap oun on a hand guard/rail. It's a little pricey, but the Daniel Defense Omega rail is excellent and can be installed without gunsmith work.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

sgb
    The MOE hand guard give you better heat shielding to the support hand as well as being designed to accept acc. rails. If you want a free float rail the only thing that really fits in your price point that's worth a hoot is Yankee Hill Machine
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    I'm gonna go with the MOE. :)

Links