Going Green Conversion part 4...done

This is a discussion on Going Green Conversion part 4...done within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Earlier in the week I installed the bolt on trigger guard, taped off the exposed parkerizing and shot it with Aluma-Hyde. I put it on ...

Thread: Going Green Conversion part 4...done

Going Green Conversion part 4...done

Earlier in the week I installed the bolt on trigger guard, taped off the exposed parkerizing and shot it with Aluma-Hyde. I put it on pretty thick so it took awhile to cure. The semi gloss is a close enough match for me.

The K-Var OD green furniture took a bit of fitting, especially the top hand guard. This was the first time I did the traditional style AK forearm. The gas tube and bolt on retainer needed a bit of grinding to fit properly. Nothing is jammed on and all fits fine without any barrel contact. Still need to touch it up with some paint and lock tight it on.

The stock took the required usual filing. Was careful not to take too much off, I wanted a tight fit and had to use a rubber mallet to get it all the way seated. Before pounding it on I ground the bottom corners off enough to allow for the plastic hole plugs.

Reusing the factory screws for the stock was a challenge. After drilling the pilot I ended up using a 11/32 bit and had to flare the top for the Russian screws to fully seat.

Seems like when I buy the pistol grip nut alone it fits my Hogue grips but when I buy it with the screw they need a bit of grinding for a snug fit. I ended up using a 10mm bolt that locks up nice and tight.

I install the FCG a little different than most of the tutorials I've seen. Everything goes in at an angle, the spring goes over the trigger and then I just twist each part till the cross shafts go through. Seems to work fine without any hassle. Didn't put the BHO back in so I used a washer to accommodate the thickness difference.

The retaining plate dropped right in and required no grinding to clear the bolt.

Done. The wife is happy with her new green machine and I'm pleased as well. Will have to put on a nice Russian green canvas sling to set it off.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Now that looks pretty nice. Very cool!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Great job.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Links