18 1/2" or 20"

This is a discussion on 18 1/2" or 20" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK here is my dilemma. I have decided that a Mossberg 590A1 needs to come and live with us. I am just having a little ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 1/2" or 20"

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

18 1/2" or 20"

OK here is my dilemma. I have decided that a Mossberg 590A1 needs to come and live with us. I am just having a little trouble deciding between the 18 1/2" or 20" barrel lengths. This will be used for home defense. I realize that there is little difference in the way they handle. I guess it is more a question about capacity than length. So I would like some feed back from the members here. do you feel that the extra 3 rounds are a deal breaker?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Both shotguns being equal there is only a 1 round difference between a 18 1/2 and 20 inch barrel with extended mag tubes. Do both the shotguns you are looking at have an extended mag tube?

I like the 20" and 8 round capacity, rather than 18" and 6 rounds. Also, I had a Saiga 12ga shotgun with 10 round magazines. I found it to be very awkward to handle. I prefer the handling of the under barrel tubes.
    War to the knife, knife to the hilt.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

If you go past 6 rounds of 00 buck and slugs you really have a mess on your hands and maybe an AR is your next option. I in no way feel under gunned with 6 rounds of 12 gage.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If you go past 6 rounds of 00 buck and slugs you really have a mess on your hands and maybe an AR is your next option. I in no way feel under gunned with 6 rounds of 12 gage.
    We have been experiencing home invasion robberies that have involved multiple perps and high order violence. If you need your shotgun, you most likely have all the ammo you're going to get, until the problem is resolved. If you are comfortable with 6, cool. I'll take 8 until the KSG which carries 15, proves itself.

There are three kinds of people, sheep, sheepdogs, and wolves. If you don't understand this, you're a sheep.

Are you a turtle?

Quote Originally Posted by fudo View Post
    We have been experiencing home invasion robberies that have involved multiple perps and high order violence. If you need your shotgun, you most likely have all the ammo you're going to get, until the problem is resolved. If you are comfortable with 6, cool. I'll take 8 until the KSG which carries 15, proves itself.
    If that's the case and home invasions by crews are the concern I'd forget the shotgun and go straight to AR. 30 rounds twice with a mag clamp. 2 additional rounds MAY make the difference but 24 more sure seems better.

Just another traveling mans opinion though.

VIP Member
    My HD shotgun is a 21" turkey gun with the 8 shot extension tube, screw-in choke tubes, weaponlight/laser and a fiber optic front sight. I prefer the 20/21" length to the 18"/18.5". Just my personal preference.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    If that's the case and home invasions by crews are the concern I'd forget the shotgun and go straight to AR. 30 rounds twice with a mag clamp. 2 additional rounds MAY make the difference but 24 more sure seems better.

Just another traveling mans opinion though.
    The gun at my bedside is a Stag LH AR15 loaded with SS109's

Are you a turtle?

It really makes no difference, but for HD I would prefer the shorter. If you can't hit the home invader with 6 rounds of buck, two more probably won't make much of a difference.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Look at your home and if you have some tight spaces you may want to go with the shorter barrel, just for that little bit of extra maneuverability.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Six rounds of 00 buck will go a long way inside your home. Like someone else said above, you should be able to finish the job with 6 rounds through your shotgun. If you don't think you can then you need a different type of weapon.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    OK here is my dilemma. I have decided that a Mossberg 590A1 needs to come and live with us. I am just having a little trouble deciding between the 18 1/2" or 20" barrel lengths. This will be used for home defense. I realize that there is little difference in the way they handle. I guess it is more a question about capacity than length. So I would like some feed back from the members here. do you feel that the extra 3 rounds are a deal breaker?
    Mike
    I just bought the 20" Mossberg 590A1 and I chose that one for increased ammo capacity. Nonetheless, I think that both are perfectly fine for their home defense role so don't read too much into it. A shotgun is a perfect home defense firearm but it is not the best firearm to clear a house due to its length. Therefore, I would just buy whatever feels best for you (length, weight, size, capacity, etc.). More importantly than length, make sure that you can handle the weight difference between both. I had no problem with the 20" Mossberg, but some people can't handle it so well. Go to your LGS, handle them both and then just get whatever feels and seems best for you. Just make sure that whichever model you get, that it has ghost ring sights and to put a light on it.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Thanks for all the replies. I have been leaning toward the the 18 1/2" model. Doubt that I will have much cause to clear my home. Hope to stay in a good defensive position until help arrives. Of course we all know about the best layed plans. As far as needing a combat rifle, it is not practical for me were I live. Houses are to close together and a bullet will penetrate further than buckshot. Now I don't want to start a debate on that issue. Just not right for me. I will check both out before purchasing and see which fits the best. However watching the news with all the civil unrest around the world and knowing it can happen here very easily. Keeps pulling me toward those 9 rounds. Know what I mean.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The best Mossburg to get is the new 930 SPX. It has fantastic rugged tactical sights, and has a picatinny rail if you would ever want to put a red dot sight on it. Barrel is only 18.5 inches, and it has a 7+1 capacity for a total of 8 rounds.

They are not that expensive, if you shop around. I've seen a number of dealers on gunbroker.com selling them between $600 and $650:

Mossberg 930 SPX 12 ga Shotgun : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Mossberg 930 SPX 12 Gauge 18.5" 8 Shot Shotgun : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

It is more than worth spending an extra $100 to get this Mossberg over a 590A1. Recoil will be much lighter, due to the gas operated action. And you will be able to shoot faster and more accurately, without having to bother with chambering additional shells manually.

Checkout the lack of muzzle rise in these videos. You can't shoot a 590A1 this fast:

For a few dollars more, you can also get the gun with a pistol grip if you want:

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    As far as needing a combat rifle, it is not practical for me were I live. Houses are to close together and a bullet will penetrate further than buckshot. Now I don't want to start a debate on that issue. Just not right for me.
    Your choice on whether the AR would be right for you or not, but don't think for a second that your buckshot is somehow going to penetrate less than a .223 round will. A quick google search of ".223 penetration" turned up this article immediately, and many others like it.

Olympic Arms, Inc. - About .223 Penetration

Whatever you end up picking though good luck with it, a shotgun is certainly a very good choice in any event.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links