The Role of the Trunk Rifle

This is a discussion on The Role of the Trunk Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A lever gun is a good, inexpensive option. And - it looks a lot less "threatening" than an AK or AR to the authorities. You're ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Role of the Trunk Rifle

A lever gun is a good, inexpensive option. And - it looks a lot less "threatening" than an AK or AR to the authorities. You're a lot less likely to get hassled with a deer rifle than with an "assault rifle."

That said, I do not advocate keeping a gun in your vehicle all the time - just too easy to get stolen. If there is an anticipated possible threat, then yes. Otherwise...no. JMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

A good 30-30 would do the job.

Still doesn't beat a WASR-10 or Saiga on price though.
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

Any ideas on some ways to keep the rifle locked but still semi-quickly accessible? That's my only drawback from keeping a rifle in the cargo area. (don't want it stolen)

I recently bought a new Marlin 336 package lever gun, with mount and scope, for less than $500. I think that compares very favorably to a low end AK. I'll take a 150-170 grain .30-30 bullet to a 7.62 x 39 any day, too.

There are lots of lock boxes and such to keep guns "secure" in a vehicle - the problem is that the whole vehicle can be easily stolen. There is NO really "secure" way to keep a gun in a vehicle. JMHO.
    CT Lasers

RKM
    I don't carry a rifle in my car because there is a greater chance of my rifle being stolen from my car, if it's broken into then actually needing my rifle, where my Glock will do.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    Any ideas on some ways to keep the rifle locked but still semi-quickly accessible? That's my only drawback from keeping a rifle in the cargo area. (don't want it stolen)
    Well, there are these : Santa Cruz Gunlocks A Trusted Name In Weapons Security Since 1988 I picked up one of their AR locks a while back and have been working on the best way to securely mount it in my truck. I have a baseball bat bag that fits my 16" AR very nicely, and can hold some spare mags and water as well. I also keep a pair of hiking boots, a small pack, and some other supplies in the truck, in addition to my normal roadside kit.

Good article. I've thought back and forth on the "trunk rifle" concept for some time, and I fully agree with everything written in the OP. For just about any scenario that requires me to defend myself, my pistol or the vehicle itself is a more suitable weapon and means of escape. However, I usually spend somewhere between 40% and 60% of every 24hr day away from home (excluding most weekends), and if there is ever a sudden and severe SHTF, chances are pretty good that I will be at work when it happens.

You know that saying that a small handgun on your belt beats a large handgun at home in the safe? Well, it works for long guns too. All my safe queens won't do me a bit of good if I'm trapped in the city with no direct way to get back home and very bad things happening around me. God forbid I ever experience that, but if I do, that KISS AR under the seat could just be my new best friend in the world.

There is always the danger of theft. But with a high-quality hard-mounted gun lock and a disguised storage bag for it, it should be relatively safe from a smash-and-grab. And I take the same chance every day now with my carry pistol by leaving it in a safe in the truck when I walk into work. I do all I can to mitigate the risk, but I think it's more important to actually have my gun than to worry about a thief with a grinder and a cutting torch making off with it. The same holds true with a rifle, and as soon as I can get my lock securely mounted, that rifle will live in my truck, hopefully never to be needed, but always to be there if it is.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member
    +1 on the lever action rifle, an excellent choice for someone not wishing to have an AR or AK platform.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Something else to consider is joining your local police auxiliary. In a SHTF scenario, you're not likely to get hassled or disarmed by the authorities if you can produce a LEO identification. It's probably worth the investment in time in this and other ways.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Something else to consider is joining your local police auxiliary. In a SHTF scenario, you're not likely to get hassled or disarmed by the authorities if you can produce a LEO identification. It's probably worth the investment in time in this and other ways.
    That might help, but you might have outside agencies involved who might not care about local affiliations.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Nothing is guaranteed, but I think if you roll up on a checkpoint and can produce LEO ID, you are much less likely to get hassled than otherwise.
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Nothing is guaranteed, but I think if you roll up on a checkpoint and can produce LEO ID, you are much less likely to get hassled than otherwise.
    I don't think that the Chinese paratroops will care about your police ID.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I recently bought a new Marlin 336 package lever gun, with mount and scope, for less than $500. I think that compares very favorably to a low end AK. I'll take a 150-170 grain .30-30 bullet to a 7.62 x 39 any day, too.

There are lots of lock boxes and such to keep guns "secure" in a vehicle - the problem is that the whole vehicle can be easily stolen. There is NO really "secure" way to keep a gun in a vehicle. JMHO.
    This is an alternative I totally believe in. Agood lever gun in a rifle caliber or pistol caliber is one of the most overlooked guns for these purposes. You can "road load" them and keep them running in all but the mosr intensive firefight. Ballistics are better than the 5.56 or 7.62x39, and they are very versatile.

+1 on the attributes of the lever gun, in addition to its benign appearance.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Good article. I'm thinking an SKS with a Monte Carlo stock might be a nice balance of inexpensive, relatively benign looking, and still a reasonable battle rifle. I run external mags in my Norinco with no trouble. 5 or 10 round mag isn't scary at all, and a couple of 30 round mags tucked away would be nice to have.
    I do love my Marlin 30-30 though and have never had a deer run more than 10 yds after a well placed shot (most not more than 5). Ammo is also relatively cheap and readily available. Used lever guns don't have to cost much either.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

OD*
    And a good lever gun is easier to keep "topped off" than any other rifle I know of.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links