Recommendations for first shotgun?

This is a discussion on Recommendations for first shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A pump action shotgun can be pretty darn fast. I shot a round of wobble trap a few months ago with my Rem 870...everyone else ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for first shotgun?

A pump action shotgun can be pretty darn fast. I shot a round of wobble trap a few months ago with my Rem 870...everyone else on the line (including a few members of a skeet/trap team) had over/unders (you cannot get faster follow up shots than with an O/U or a SxS). Anyway - I was able to hit one of the clays twice on the fly. I also had the high score - so go figure.

I find that the act of running the slide forward helps bring the muzzle back down on target.

Now, Mas Ayoob also recommends the semi-auto shotgun - in his case to eliminate the element of human error (no risk of short stroking the action).

I will say that, other than extraction issues with cheap Winchester X target ammo, my Rem 870 has had no issues. I cannot say the same of the (expensive) semi autos that my usual shooting buddies use. FWIW.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    (you cannot get faster follow up shots than with an O/U or a SxS).
    That is not quite true, as the lighter recoil of a gas operated semiauto shotgun will allow most shooters to recover faster, and thus get back on target more quickly.

I will say that, other than extraction issues with cheap Winchester X target ammo, my Rem 870 has had no issues. I cannot say the same of the (expensive) semi autos that my usual shooting buddies use. FWIW.
    If you are buying the cheap Wincheter-X target loads from Walmart, they are notoriously cheaply made ammo. I generally shoot Federal or Estate brand target ammo myself.

In any event, the whole issue of reliably with light target loads is totally irrelevant to the subject of defensive shotgun shooting. For people do NOT use such ammo for self-defense.

I've never experienced seeing any of the better made semiauto shotguns fail to function perfectly with self-defense ammo loaded in them. Certainly none of my shotguns have ever had such a problem.

VIP Member
    OK, being quite new (almost know nothing except that I shot a few a bazillion years back) I've been looking for one as discussed in a different thread.

Today I looked at an 870HD. I think it would be exactly what I want except that I shoot lefty, and the safety is located for a righty.

Any suggestions from the gallery? Is it at all reasonable to keep the safety on a pump HD shotgun disengaged (no shell in the chamber) ?

Are there makes with either an ambidextrous safety or manual safety?

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    OK, being quite new (almost know nothing except that I shot a few a bazillion years back) I've been looking for one as discussed in a different thread.

Today I looked at an 870HD. I think it would be exactly what I want except that I shoot lefty, and the safety is located for a righty.

Any suggestions from the gallery? Is it at all reasonable to keep the safety on a pump HD shotgun disengaged (no shell in the chamber) ?

Are there makes with either an ambidextrous safety or manual safety?

Suggestions?
    Mossberg puts the safety on the back of the grip so you can activate it with your shooting hand thumb - probably better for a lefty.

That said, I keep my Rem 870 with a fully loaded tube, no shell in the chamber, safety set to "fire." Just grab, rack, and shoot.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Mossberg 500 i have one in 20 gauge very nice guns
    "When you have to shoot, Shoot! Don't talk."

VIP Member
    Mossberg puts the safety on the back of the grip so you can activate it with your shooting hand thumb - probably better for a lefty.

That said, I keep my Rem 870 with a fully loaded tube, no shell in the chamber, safety set to "fire." Just grab, rack, and shoot.
    Thanks. That is exactly what I needed to know. Grab, rack, shoot. Sounds good. And I'll look at the Mossberg also.

VIP Member
    Speaking as a lefty, Mossberg is the way to go!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The slide release and safety on the Mossberg 590A1 are perfectly located to be operated with your shooting hand and more naturally compared to the Remington 870 or Benneli's which is more cumbersome.

I just bought a Mossberg 590A1 with a 20" barrel (9 shots of 12 gauge) and I cannot even explain how pleased I am with my purchase. It comes with ghost ring sights, M16 style front sight, heavy barrel and it even came with an Ontario Bayonet!!! In my opinion, a Mossberg 590A1 with a 20" barrel is the way to go!

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

VIP Member
    Hop - the Mosberg 500 works great for lefties as the safety is on the top of the receiver and falls naturally under your thumb regardless if which hand you shoot with.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links