Recommendations for first shotgun?

This is a discussion on Recommendations for first shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Going to a gun show tomorrow for paw over some things and see what I like. Looking for recommendations for a first shotgun, I'd like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for first shotgun?

Going to a gun show tomorrow for paw over some things and see what I like. Looking for recommendations for a first shotgun, I'd like to keep it under $800 which i'm pretty sure is do-able? let me know what you guys recommend, it will be a home defence gun.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would buy either a Remington 870, Mossberg 500 or a Mossberg 590A1 SPX.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Yup. What he said.

Question - are you planning on moving through the home with it? Example - do you have family on the other side of the home you need to get to?

If so, you may be better off with a handgun instead of the shotgun...it's easier to move with the smaller weapon, and it leaves a hand free for lights, phone, flashlight, grabbing the kids, etc.

If not, and the shotgun is strictly for your final line of defense once you are in your safe room, then you don't need the "self defense" models with the short 18-20 inch barrels. You can get a longer barrel, and have some fun trap shooting!

Of course, you can always switch barrels - I have a Rem 870 with a 20" barrel for home defense, and a 26" for trap. Mine is a standard 870 Express with a 4 round mag tube...that should be more than enough. If not, I have six more shells on an elastic butt cuff that I can easily remove before hitting the trap range.

Good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If you look long and hard you might just find a FN-SLP at the top of your price range. I have heard nothing but praise for them even though they are a bit pricey.

Senior Moderator
    Remington 870. It's the Swiss Army Knife of shotguns. You can swap out barrels and go from a trap / skeet gun to a social shotgun quickly and easily. There is enormous aftermarket support for the 870 if you want to hang a bunch of stuff on it (it's very easy to get carried away with that....)

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    That's a good selection. I have the Mossberg 500 with a 28" screw in choke barrel, a 24" slug barrel and a 18.5" cylinder barrel. With those options, I can do pretty much anything a shotty is designed to do. The long barrel has many tens of thousands of rounds through it on the trap field. I slapped an adjustable tactical stock on it when my son wanted to shoot skeet and he could not reach the trigger with the full sized stock, that stock grew with him and worked great. It now is at its shortest setting with the 18.5" barrel doing HD duty. It has been one heck of a good gun. The Remington can be outfit similarly.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    What he said
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Why spend that much? Here's what I did. OK I'm a cheap skate but it works. You probably won't get away as cheap today but it's still very doable.

Home Defense Shotgun on a Budget
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Rem 870 or Moss 500. The accessories are endless and you can turn either into anything you want.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil 386 View Post
    Going to a gun show tomorrow for paw over some things and see what I like. Looking for recommendations for a first shotgun, I'd like to keep it under $800 which i'm pretty sure is do-able? let me know what you guys recommend, it will be a home defence gun.

Basically don't make the mistake that the majority of folks do in getting a pump action gun. Self-defense Buckshot ammo recoils very heavily. You will be able to shoot much faster and with better accuracy using a gas operated semiauto shotgun. The gun's action will help to absorb and soften the feel of the recoil, and not being distracted by having to operate a pump action will enable you to get back on target after shots much more easily.

If your budget goes up to $800, there are semiauto shotguns that you can that are easily under that.

Two that come to mind are:

The CZ 712 Utility Shotgun:

Only $329 from NorthStar Sporting Goods:

CZ 712 Utility Shotgun 5 Chokes CZ712 06029X 06029 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

It is a fantastic bargain, and is quite well made. Chamber, bolt, and bore are all chrome lined for corrosion resistance. Comes with a full set of 5 interchangeable choke tubes, too

Mossberg 930 SPX.

It has fantastic rugged tactical sights, and has a picatinny rail if you would ever want to put a red dot sight on it. Barrel is only 18.5 inches, and it has a 7+1 capacity for a total of 8 rounds.

They are not that expensive, if you shop around. I've seen a number of dealers on gunbroker.com selling them between $600 and $650:

There is nothing like shooting a semiauto shotgun:

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I should expand further on my earlier remarks and admit that there is an advantage that pump action shotguns have.

And that is that they can reliably shoot "exotic" ammo that will not necessarily function in a semiauto shotgun. Chief among these would be none lethal shells that fire rubber projectiles.

So if someone wanted to have a shotgun with a non-lethal option, a pump action would indeed be the way to go.

I know that there are some rather bizarre loads available for 12 gauge shotguns. But I believe that those should generally be avoided for consideration, except for some of these non-lethal options.

VIP Member
    Pump or semi? What would you prefer?

Lefty or righty?
    Last edited by atctimmy; February 28th, 2011 at 10:57 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Remmy 870 or mossy 500 are your "gotta have one of 'em" pumps... though that mossy 930 looks pretty damn good.

Okay, it's going on the list... *sigh* These damn gun forums are going to bankrupt me.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Remington 870, 18.5" barrel, extended magazine tube. Can be had for less than $400 in gun stores around OH. Also at Dick's and Gander Mtn. Can add as many extra goodies as you want with the extra dollars in your budget, but really aren't necessay for a basic HD gun.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member
    My advice is when you are selecting between manufacturers, compare the way the buttons work (what I mean is the safety on and off, the action release tab). It just seems that there is a world of difference in the way they can work.

Everybody is different, but the Mossberg seems very easy and fast and intuitive. I really dislike the safety button on many other models and the release tab can be a stretch to get to.

(purists please excuse my lack of correct terms here, I hope the op gets the point anyways)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links