Short supply: why? Mossberg 590 A1 SPX # 50771

This is a discussion on Short supply: why? Mossberg 590 A1 SPX # 50771 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been searching( as two of my local gun shops) and we can't find a single Mossberg 590 A1 SPX # 50771. Does anyone ...

Thread: Short supply: why? Mossberg 590 A1 SPX # 50771

I have been searching( as two of my local gun shops) and we can't find a single Mossberg 590 A1 SPX # 50771. Does anyone have any inside info on why? Or better yet, do you know of any for sale?

Respectfully
    ArmorDude

NRA Life Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

“People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” –George Orwell

Because that SKU number is no longer listed as being supported by Mossberg.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - 590A1™-Special Purpose ~ Specifications

You may want to contact Mossberg directly to inquire and confirm the SKU is no longer supported (likely discontinued), and if so what _current_ model is a best analogy to what you desire.

Question though:
    Why the 50771 singular?

All 590s have a threaded receiver so adding your own top mount picatinny rail is a breeze, and the aftermarket offers many differing types of same.
    As tot he specific rear sight they use on that model it too is available via the aftermarket.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It is still listed on the product section of the site under the 590 Special purpose. Top of page use the scroll arrow and click several to the right and it still shows up. Here is the photo on that page. http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../New/50771.jpg
    Respectfully ArmorDude
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

“People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” –George Orwell

It is possible that with all the variations of the 500/590 Mossberg makes, they might have not updated all the sections of the website. I would second Janq's suggestion to call. Sometimes it is hard to find someone for warranty support or the such when you call; but when you're asking about buying something, companies usually seem to be better staffed in that area

Thanks guys. I will call and ask. I had a chance to ask at shot show but I spent time talking about the 930 SPX. It's the ghost rings I am after, but main reason is the front LPA m16 style site, which is probably more expensive as a after market add on.

I am interested in the ports as well. I have access to our in house machine shop and the guys say it's no problem putting in ports. Many of them are 3 gun competitors and have ported their comp guns.

Did I mention the the bayonet has the "DUDE FACTOR"
    Respectfully ArmorDude
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Just last week I called Mossberg and they stated that #50771's are available to be sent to any Mossberg distributor. Two of my local shops have called all of their Mossberg distributors, which have inturn refused to order the 50771 because a minimum of 10 units must be ordered from Mossberg. According to my local shop owners, the 50771 being a $600+ gun the distributors will not place the manditory minimum order.

I have no idea if any of this is actually true, but I got the same story from both shop owners that would have been more than happy to sell me a gun if they could get it.

AC

Well, seems like they didn't quite lie to you, since it is *available*, but only in those distributor quantites.

If you really can't get anyone to sell you an individual shotgun, then perhaps your only recourse is to check out an equivalent shotgun from one of the other makers, unfortunately. OR, get a more standard 590 A1 and try to mod it how you want it.

Links