Foreward Assist importance?

This is a discussion on Foreward Assist importance? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SO how important is a forward assit on the AR? Talked to a Marine that served several years in Iraq, he mentioned all the time ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreward Assist importance?

SO how important is a forward assit on the AR?

Talked to a Marine that served several years in Iraq, he mentioned all the time he spent behind the Military issued AR in combat, he never had to use it.

He also added "if the round doesn't seat to the point that you actually need to use the forward assit you probly shouldn't fire that round"....he said "just cycle to the next one".

He then said "even if it didn't seat and you used the forward assit, fired, it could cause a "hang" on extraction, if it doesn't go in right it might not come out right."

I thank him for his service and for the insight.

So I come to the boards to get several other thoughts on the importance of the forward assit.
    Last edited by Frogbones; February 28th, 2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: How do you edit subject head on missspeeld "foreward"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have never had to use the forward assist, I tend to agree with he "tap and rack" method of dealing with such issues. My reaction would be to recycle and shoot.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Seconded...Or rather thirded.

I too would not think to force a jammed round into a small hole (chamber), and by that think/assume that it'll extract easily and the gun run well without extra wear & tear.
    Round doesn't want to chamber correctly...I extricate it, quickly!, and magazine load a new round. If that second round doesn't want to load correctly either then I swap magazines (quickly!).
    I do the mag swap rather than a tap because my assumption for me would be that I did seat the magazine well to start as per my own SOP. Thus either the rounds in the magazine are jacked up or the magazine itself is dying. Either way remove & replenish to regain forward progress.
    Stow the trouble magazine for review and analysis at some later time frame.

NO FA involved nor required.
    If I did though need an FA and were caught without one, I'm sure there would be plenty of other rifles laying about to make use of instead....As being a more efficient and maximal benefit use of my time.

- Janq

"The only way I would force the round in is if it was the last one I had." - Kerby
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree with the posters about no forward assist and TRB procedure

The only alternative I see is to disagree with a battle proven Marine. Not going to happen, The only way I would force the round in is if it was the last one I had.

Administrator
    I agree with the Marine in his application, however, there is an application where the forward assist is useful to me and my application; being stealthy. I might not want to slam the bolt home. The forward assist allows me to quietly close the bolt and use the forward assist to make sure the bolt is locked and everything is ready to fire.
    If you find yourself needing the forward assist under normal conditions, its time to clean your gun, change ammo or both.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the replies.

VIP Member
    I've used it. Several times I was in extended MILES firefights - using blanks, of course - and the dirty nature of military blanks was causing failures to go into battery. I could usually get them to seat properly with a moderate tap on the forward assist, and I didn't notice any additional issues with extraction (though, to be fair, there were often extraction issues when using blanks, especially in a dirty gun, and ESPECIALLY if the blank adaptor wasn't cranked down to within an inch of metal failure).
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Same post as OPFOR

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you find yourself needing the forward assist under normal conditions, its time to clean your gun...
    This is the only use I've found for them. My father-in-law is terrible about cleaning his guns, so he was using his FA to overcome the dragging bolt carrier. I performed a very thorough cleaning on the gun and he hasn't touched it since...

Never once used the forward assist while I was enlisted, and my personal AR doesnt have one. They needed them in Nam because of dirty ammo and poor training. They are no longer needed.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well, EVERY blue moon, on a new mag, you might get a hang in the magazine on the first round. Now that shouldn't happen, but I have had it happen twice with brand new magazines. Just a tap on the forward assist and away it went and ran well. That probably wouldn't be an issue to a Marine engaged in combat, and no disrespect is intended.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Since my AR 15 is an early 1970s Colt SP 1 it doesn't have the forward bolt assist feature. I've never felt that I was missing anything.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    He also added "if the round doesn't seat to the point that you actually need to use the forward assit you probly shouldn't fire that round"....he said "just cycle to the next one".
    I agree with this 100% I've never used my forward assist, and won't even if I had the need. I've seen a video of a guy shooting his AR, needed to use the forward assist and it blows up in his face. Even before I saw the video, I always thought the forward assist was a bad idea, the video just confirmed it.

Just getting this out first, I'm still an IET soldier. Currently in week 3 of my AIT, add to that I'm a POG and then read my post

We were trained to do a press check during BCT, while at the zeroing range I had to use the forward assist after I did a press check. Round didn't seat, it happend again during quals.

Rounds were to precious to just cycle through, however, after reading this thread I've decided to rethink the use of the forward assist....
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links