Load a mag in an AR with the bolt closed?

This is a discussion on Load a mag in an AR with the bolt closed? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Should I be able to? I've tried, even given the mag a good whack, doesn't feel like it wants to seat, and I'm not in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Load a mag in an AR with the bolt closed?

Should I be able to? I've tried, even given the mag a good whack, doesn't feel like it wants to seat, and I'm not in the mood for a repair bill. Need some help.

Thanks.

I never had a problem with that. Is the mag fully loaded, if so , try downloading it a few rounds and see what happens.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

You beat me to it. I tend to baby my weapons when loading. Always afraid of breaking something. Quick hard slap, problem solved. There's been times that I've wanted to load a mag w/out chambering a round, and it was starting to piss me off. Problem solved. Thanks!

I used to "not want to break anything" either...now when I work any of my guns....they aren't my friend.

Administrator
    You need to overcome a lot of compressed spring tension in order to seat a fully loaded magazine on a closed bolt. Try harder - you're not going to break anything and if you DO it's better that you find out about it now rather than after the SHTF.

RKM
    A good hard whack on the bottom of the mag will seat it just fine.

This is one reason why many download mags to 28. Magpul also suggests downloading PMags to 28, though it does/used to say differently on their site.

Slam the thing home, nothing bad will happen!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by tommyp View Post
    You beat me to it. I tend to baby my weapons when loading. Always afraid of breaking something. Quick hard slap, problem solved. There's been times that I've wanted to load a mag w/out chambering a round, and it was starting to piss me off. Problem solved. Thanks!

As usual, I missed this! Buy some PMags. They're easier to seat and are one of the most reliable available.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

For most 30-round AR mags, loading a fully-charged mag on a closed bolt is looking for trouble. Not trouble in the sense of breaking anything, but trouble in the sense of your mag won't be fully seated and locked in place. The Gospel According to Pat Rogers (and Jeff Gonzales) is to load no more than 28 in a 30-round mag. (Yes, I am fully aware that some mags will load on a close bolt when fully charged - but they are the exception.)
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    As usual, I missed this! Buy some PMags. They're easier to seat and are one of the most reliable available.
    +1
    I was having problems seating the two aluminum mags that came with my AR even when they only had 10 rounds loaded. I bought a Pmag and haven't had a problem once. I never thought a different magazine would make such a difference, but it has definitely cut down on my frustration at the range.

I've never had a problem seating a full mag,but back in the days before 30 rounders we were issued 20 rounders and they only had 18 rounds,back then it was to keep from weakening mag springs in magazines that were kept loaded for months at a time.Since then the mag spring thing has been busted
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I've got the cheap 30 round AR mags they are always full and never had a problem seating them. I tend to treat them more like a red headed step child than a beautiful lady.

with USGI, either load 28, or hit it HARD... Pmags will load ok with 30, not sure on others

I have never had a problem, nor heard of so many problems with seating fully loaded AR mags - am I missing something? sounds like bad mags to me.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Administrator
    Many various assorted AR mag makers out there these days & that spells various assorted slightly "innovative" follower designs.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    I have never had a problem, nor heard of so many problems with seating fully loaded AR mags - am I missing something? sounds like bad mags to me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links