Loading the "en-bloc" clip in a Garand

This is a discussion on Loading the "en-bloc" clip in a Garand within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The US Rifle Caliber 30 M1 is an awesome rifle and a joy to shoot. One issue seems to come up for me at intervals, ...

Thread: Loading the "en-bloc" clip in a Garand

The US Rifle Caliber 30 M1 is an awesome rifle and a joy to shoot. One issue seems to come up for me at intervals, however. I have trouble getting the "en-bloc" clip to fully seat .

I reviewed FM23-5 and it says "With the right hand, place a full clip
    on top of the follower assembly. Place the thumb on the center of the top round in the clip and press the clip straight down into the receiver until
    it catches " My problem is that sometimes it never goes deep enough to allow the bolt to slide forward, even with the assistance of the heel of my palm on the operating rod handle. I'm using the Greek CMP ammo in the clips that they provide.
    I'm not sure if it's because I'm not pressing in the center of the uppermost round, rather, near it's base (I have it in the rightmost position in the clip, as instructed), whether it's an issue of inadequate lubrication, or my just not muscling the clip in place with my right thumb. I have a buddy that's an old USMC vet and he told me they would shoot dozens of clips through the Garand in relatively short periods of time, and I know the guys that had Garands at Iwo and Omaha Beach ( god bless them)..had it figured out...

I thought another possibility might be my needing to create a base for the butt of the rifle so i can apply adequate pressure...another thing FM 23-5 says is "To load a full clip, Place...the butt of the rifle against the thigh or on the ground."..so I'm thinking maybe I didn't have an adequate base established.

I was at the range last week and had this problem and was kind of frustrated. I was introducing the rifle to a buddy and felt like an idiot not being able to get it to load.

Other than the above, I love the Garand, it's sighting system, the kick-butt 30-06 round, the elegance of the mechanism and the ease of field stripping.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The gun is a piece of junk. Send it to me for proper disposal.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Yea M1s!

Hate that you are having difficulties with your M1. I like the M1 best of all military rifles.

Have you detail stripped, cleaned and lubricated the rifle? Lot's of gremlins lurk in dirty firearms of all kinds that may be exorcised with a proper cleaning and lubing.
    Detail Stripping The M1 Garand Rifle

Your description of the problem could be a worn clip latch or possibly a weak clip latch spring. You seem to indicate that the rifle does load some of the time. I've not had personal experience with any M1 that suffered with a worn clip latch but it isn't unknown for a worn clip latch to cause problems including the one you describe.
    M1 Garand - Clip Latch, Clip Latch Spring, and Clip Latch Pin
    Reassembly Of the M1 Garand Rifle

It is possible to reinstall the magazine follower backwards which might be the problem but I don't think the rifle could be induced to work at all with that assembly error. I've not tried it myself. You could check for it.

A high round within an 8-round clip can be trouble. Over years of high-power competition I long ago learned to hold each clip to eye level and look horizontally along to bullet tips to discern if there was one stinker standing a little proud before shooting rapid-fire events. Pinching an offender's bullet and jiggling it while pressing it into the clip solves the problem. I've also pressed the offending cartridge's bullet tip against my shooting box, shooting mat, a bench rest, a wooden post, a shoe sole, or whatever to seat the cartridge fully in the clip. I know some scream and holler about the possibility of "deep-seating" a bullet and all the potential issues that involves but I've never observed a bullet to become further forced into a cartridge case from doing this. When ball ammunition or equivalent is used, pressures won't be raised enough to become a safety issue if a bullet did happen to become seated a little deeper than factory length. For the fellow who has handloaded his ammunition to walk on the ragged edge of maximum allowable pressures I can see where this could a concern but he's already being incautious by using such loads in the first place, thoughtlessly battering his rifle.

Additional links:
    M1 Garand Parts
    Outpost Armory | M1 Garand Parts | Guns | Accessories
    Riverbank Armory Parts Page 8 - M1 GARAND PARTS
    M1 Garand Parts Diagram
    U.S. Rifle, Cal. .30, M1 Garand Parts & Accessories

Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks for the tips. I also reviewed some video on loading and realized I probably had my thumb too far back and didn't apply enough force to fully seat the clip. I've been trying too hard to avoid "G" Thumb :) I'm also going to try the detail strip. I do the "feeding and operation assembly" detail strip each time, but haven't done the detail strip of the other groups before. I'll report back after my range session this coming week. Thanks again.

Just a PS

Thanks for the pictures of your M1. It's a beauty.

mine... got it for 350$, rebarrled it and put on the fajin stock

Sponsored Links