M1 Garands

This is a discussion on M1 Garands within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am thinking about saving my money and buying an M1 Garand as my first centerfire rifle. The Garand is my favorite military rifle of ...

Thread: M1 Garands

M1 Garands

I am thinking about saving my money and buying an M1 Garand as my first centerfire rifle. The Garand is my favorite military rifle of all time. I have always wanted one and am considering forgoing the purchase of a tacticool AR or AK until after I have a Garand. My only use for a rifle is range fun and SHTF. I like the fact that I can load up alot of ammo on clips and don't have to worry about magazine springs weakening over time like I would with an AR, AK, or Mini-14

I like the though of buying a Garand for the WWII era, especially the International Harvester M1s because I had a IH Scout II as my first vehicle. I don't know what milsurp Garands are of good quality and all the ones I see at gun shows are pretty rough and cost about $800. Are the brand new Springfield Armory M1s just as good? I am not a collector and plan on shooting this rifle and passing it down the family.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I'd check with some of your local ranges and see which ones participate in the NRA's civilian marksmanship program. I think you can still have them order you a M1 through that program for a serious discount. You can do some net research on it too. Just food for thought.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    CMP is the way to go...but dont plan on finding an IH Garand in any sort of good condition for under $1000. Check with your range, and if they are an affiliate of the CMP, you can get a correct grade Springfield for around 800. Be sure to thoroughly check anything you find at a gun show...many Garands I have seen at shows are nothing more than pretty tomato stakes.
    Fear No Evil.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Just checked, You can pick up a service grade springfield for $550 through CMP.

Once my brother-in-law joins his local range I'll be able to get a new Springfield Armory M1 Garand at the dealer price. Im not sure what that is but it should be less than the websites $1300 price tag.

The M1 is a serious fun weapon. Several years ago I took mine on a successful deer hunt. By the end of the day after dragging a nice buck to the road the M1 felt like it weighed 100 pounds.

9.4 lbs can get real heavy in a hurry. But I don't plan on lugging it around too much.

Stay away from the Springfield armory inc. Garands.They are way overpriced and are not as good as a surplus garand.They are built useing worn out surplus parts on a new manufacture CASTreciever.I bought a July 1941 springfield armory garand from the CMP and its a nice rifle.I replaced a couple of small nickel and dime parts and it functions perfectly!Best part is,its the real deal(been there,Done that)and it only cost half as much as the springfield armory inc. junk!If you have a concealed carry permit you can forgo some of the red tape required to buy a rifle through the CMP.

I planned on waiting until after I get my chl. So I can get an M1 Garand in decent shape, thats accurate for around $800 or maybe less? If so thats great and I'll definately go that route. About how long does it take to get a CMP Garand once I've ordered one.

If anyone can give me anymore helpful info on the CMP Garands it would be much appreciated

I only paid $525 shipped for my service grade a couple of years ago.Took six days from the time I dropped the paperwork and check in the mail till the rifle was delivered to my doorstep.Go to the CMP web sight,you will find all the information there.They also have a discussion forum.

i want a M1 problem is find a place to shoot he matches to be qualified to buy from cmp lots of them are shot on sat and i work sat

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    i want a M1 problem is find a place to shoot he matches to be qualified to buy from cmp lots of them are shot on sat and i work sat
    Good news, Bud - you don't have to compete in a single match to qualify to buy a Garand from the CMP:
    You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:
    • Current or past military service.
    • Current or past law enforcement service
    • Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
    • Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
    • Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
    • Concealed Carry License.
    • Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
    • FFL or C&R license.
    • Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
    • Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
    NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.
    You must also be able to lawfully purchase a firearm and belong to an affiliated club. I just joined the Florida Sport Shooting Association for this very purpose - $25 a year, no requirement to ever attend a meeting.

There are likely similar clubs in your area, or you could probably just join FSSA.

You can find the membership requirements here: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles...quirements.htm

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Sweet matt thanks they changed there rules then ... All i need to do is join the local club then and all good

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    75 scout
    You ever get up to Missouri give me a shout and we will go out and put a few rounds through mine and you can see if you like it.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Links