She loves my 10/22 Tactical, RRA AR-15..not so much... 9mm Carbine help?

This is a discussion on She loves my 10/22 Tactical, RRA AR-15..not so much... 9mm Carbine help? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently bought a Ruger 10/22 tactical, and tossed a red dot on it. I knew it would be a fun plinker, and hoped that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She loves my 10/22 Tactical, RRA AR-15..not so much... 9mm Carbine help?

She loves my 10/22 Tactical, RRA AR-15..not so much... 9mm Carbine help?

I recently bought a Ruger 10/22 tactical, and tossed a red dot on it. I knew it would be a fun plinker, and hoped that my wife would love it too. As it turns out, I set up a steel plate, loaded up the 25 round magazine, and handed it to my wife. She took 2-3 nice easy shots, and then BOOM!! She dumped the rest of the magazine out as fast as she could!! She then turned to me, cradled the rifle, and said "thanks baby, this is now mine" with a huge smile on her face.

I then ran a few rounds through my AR-15, which she has shot before and hated, I turned to her to pass it off.....she quickly said "nope." And that was the end of that. She said if it was in 9mm, or a lower caliber, then she would love to have one. So now the wheels in my head are turning. Are my only options for a 9mm carbine the Hi Point, Kel-Tec Sub 2000, or a dedicated 9mm AR-15?

I have some issues as follows: the hi-point only has 10 round mags, the Kel-Tec might not be the most comfortable gun for her to shoot (and if it's not moderately comfy, we all know she won't shoot it often), and all the AR-15 9mm's I've seen are around $900....
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    I recently bought a Ruger 10/22 tactical, and tossed a red dot on it. I knew it would be a fun plinker, and hoped that my wife would love it too. As it turns out, I set up a steel plate, loaded up the 25 round magazine, and handed it to my wife. She took 2-3 nice easy shots, and then BOOM!! She dumped the rest of the magazine out as fast as she could!! She then turned to me, cradled the rifle, and said "thanks baby, this is now mine" with a huge smile on her face.

I then ran a few rounds through my AR-15, which she has shot before and hated, I turned to her to pass it off.....she quickly said "nope." And that was the end of that. She said if it was in 9mm, or a lower caliber, then she would love to have one. So now the wheels in my head are turning. Are my only options for a 9mm carbine the Hi Point, Kel-Tec Sub 2000, or a dedicated 9mm AR-15?

I have some issues as follows: the hi-point only has 10 round mags, the Kel-Tec might not be the most comfortable gun for her to shoot (and if it's not moderately comfy, we all know she won't shoot it often), and all the AR-15 9mm's I've seen are around $900....

Why up the bullet size? She may really like shooting .22 and is that so bad? Frankly I have been loving my M&P 15-22 lately, it's my favorite shooter right now. I love that I can practice all day long without breaking the bank.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

It was actually her suggestion. She knows that the 22lr cartridge is not the best for defense, and said that she would like to have one in 9mm.

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Claybreaker,

Since you already have an AR, no need to get a full 9mm ar. Just get a 9mm upper (with bcg), magwell adapter, 9mm buffer and 9mm mags. You may have to change out your hammer depending on it's shape. That's it.

Lot's of choices! For example: Model1 sales has a 9mm upper w/bcg for $505 and buffer $25, magwell block and 3 mags for $145 from Palmetto State Armory.

I have one and it's one of my favorite guns! Almost no recoil to speak of and very accurate. I use a VM-Hytec magwell block and use unmodified UZI mags.

Forgot to add: another 9mm carbine to consider-Beretta Storm.

+1 on the Beretta Storm. Handled one at the Gun Show the other day, very nice little carbine, and has a rail to mount a red dot on. Might also look at this route...

Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

So now the wheels in my head are turning.
    Take her to a gun show and let her handle all of the options.

A 9 mm carbine has a lot to like.

I thought about the 9mm upper as well, but then she has to take my rifle from me

citybreaker, what about the AR didn't she like? Was it the weight, the noise, the LOP? ---- Because if she didn't mind the weight you could buy one of those stock weights and cut the recoil pretty substantially. If the noise, get her some better plugs/,muffs.

Distinguished Member
    There are several options for a 9mm AR15 carbine.

Here are a couple I was able to quickly come up with:

Bushmaster
    Spike's Tactical
    Colt

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Might also look at this route...

Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.
    A used Ruger PC9 for $435 sounds like a good option to me.

ETA - Another option...maybe a lever gun in a revolver caliber - .38 Spl/.357?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post

My wife pulls that kind of stuff on me all the time! Welcome to my world..Whats mine is ours, whats hers is hers LOL!! Just feel good that she likes guns.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

If you decide to go Hi-Point I have a friend (Florida Resident) who has one for sale. PM me and I'll send you his email.

Get the 9mm AR, or you will risk spending your money on something she may not like. The Keltec is a novelty gun. I have one, I like it as it uses the same mags as my GLock 17, but it does not compare to an AR carbine. I've been thinking about the Olympic 9mm AR, as it too will use Glock mags. That was my goal, having all the 9mm guns use the same magazine.

+1 on the beretta storm. More capacity than the high point and much better quality than either high point or keltec. It sounds like she doesn't like the AR platform, so buying a new upper doesn't sound like a great idea.
    Having to buy a gun because your wife wants one sounds like a great problem to have!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    +1 on the beretta storm. More capacity than the high point and much better quality than either high point or keltec. It sounds like she doesn't like the AR platform, so buying a new upper doesn't sound like a great idea.
    Having to buy a gun because your wife wants one sounds like a great problem to have!
    I have to agree with this. The Beretta CX4 would be my choice for a pistol-caliber carbine. They're very compact, despite having 16" barrels, and lightweight. They're comfortable to shoot with very mild recoil and have great ergonomics. And the 9mm ones can use Beretta 92 magazines, which are everywhere. A friend of mine got one in .40 a few years ago, and I've been wanting one ever since.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links