AR-15 Recommendations Needed

This is a discussion on AR-15 Recommendations Needed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First, get rid of the collapsible stock idea would be my suggestion. The stock makes some sense if you are LE or military and need ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AR-15 Recommendations Needed

Ex Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    First, get rid of the collapsible stock idea would be my suggestion. The stock makes some sense if you are LE or military and need a little extra room in your vehicle, but the first thing yo do is extend the stock when you get out. For non-LE use, that shouldn\'t be a factor, and the standard A1 or A2 stock will be sturdier and give a better cheekweld. I vote Colt, BTW, but I also have an Olympic Arms PCR that has run perfectly!

2. Remove Ads

MMMM Bushy\'s. Just like Pringles, you can\'t stop with just one...

Bushy or RRA....

Colts are nice..but overpriced and they dont like selling to us low life normal people.....so they wont ever get my business.

Ive gotta A2 Bushy with a few goodies currently and looking towards an A3 RRA for my next one. Lemme know if you wanna check out a Bushy first hand...

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    My build is near completion, lacking only a barrel.

-Stag Lower (RRA)
    -RRA Parts
    -Tangodown Battlegrip
    -Ace Socom stock
    -RRA upper
    -RRA Bolt/carrier
    -Bushy 16\" Dissipator H-bar
    -YHM 4 rail FF handguards
    -ARMS 40 A2 BUIS
    -Eotech

Still trying to decide what flashlight to go with, was leaning towards a surefire P9 with a tape switch, but my battlegrip only holds two spare CR123A\'s. Maybe i\'ll hold 2 spare AA\'s for the holosight in the battlegrip and just keep a supply of CR123\'s in my Tac Vest.

Originally posted by David Armstrong
    First, get rid of the collapsible stock idea would be my suggestion. The stock makes some sense if you are LE or military and need a little extra room in your vehicle, but the first thing yo do is extend the stock when you get out. For non-LE use, that shouldn\'t be a factor, and the standard A1 or A2 stock will be sturdier and give a better cheekweld. I vote Colt, BTW, but I also have an Olympic Arms PCR that has run perfectly!
    I whole heartedly disagree. First off, unless you have really LONG arms, an A2 stock is too long for a comfortable cheek weld/ shooting position. With a tele-stock, you have adjustable LOP, and can use it with body armor (or heavy clothing) comfortably. Further, if you buy a good tele-stock, such as the Mag-Pul, Vltor, or LMT SOPMOD (which btw offers a BETTER cheekweld than standard IMO), they are just as solid as a standard stock. All this and you can collapse it for easier storage.

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    actually, of the AR\'s i\'ve shot, i prefer shooting with my stock collapsed. The gun just feels tighter to my body and i feel like i can swing/bring it to action faster.

I like it most of the time one click out.....tis the beauty of a 6 postion collapsible..you get to find what YOU like...

Ex Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    I whole heartedly disagree.
    That is the beauty of a forum, one can disgree without (hopefully) being disagreeable. So I will disagree with your diagreement<G>! I\'ve been running AR classes for a bit over 10 years, and have never seen a collapsible stock that was as sturdy as the standard. Perhaps there are some new ones out there (some you mentioned I have not encountered) but those that I have seen have not stood up to heavy use or could provide a decent cheekweld. you are right about the ability to expand the stock to meet your personal needs, but with the availability of 3 standard stock sizes (A1, A2, and the RR mini) I think you can get that versatility without the problems. YMMV.

I just recieved my Bushy M4 last week and I love it. Only beeen able to shoot it the one time, because of the damn weather. I ordered mine with the removable handle to keep my options open regarding what kind of optics I might put on if any.

mmmm..Bushy.....

Heres my green machine...

Build your own. It\'s sooo easy. I assembled everything but the barrel and it took less than an hour. The only tools I used were punches, a hammer, and a DPMS Armorer\'s tool.

My build:

Stag Lower
    LAR Grizzly Upper
    RRA Lower Parts Kit
    DPMS Upper Parts Kit
    RRA \"enhanced\" Bolt/Carrier group
    Hogue FF Tube and pistol grip
    Generic 6 position stock (bought cheap to see if I like adjustable stocks on the AR)

The barrel is going to be a 16\" Heavy barrel (chrome lined, 5.56mm chamber). I might replace the standard carbine buffer with the heavier 9mm buffer based on what I\'ve read.

This is fun. I might have to build another one...

Chris

I might put

Lead Moderator
    I like my carbine with collap. stock. Ya might want to check out http://www.ar15.com/ for more info and choices. Hope this isn\'t in violation of board code to oost this link. If so sorry.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    We have a never ending AWB in the PRM, but here are my thoughts.

- I have a pre-ban DPMS CAR15 flat-top with Aimpoint and love it. It\'s an easy and fun gun to shoot (plinking), it is an excellent defensive weapon if ever needed, and if you want your Wife or children to shoot it, they can adjust the stock to fit them.

- I have a post-ban Bushy 20\" AR15 that is great, with an ARMS #2 mount with scope and the ability to use iron sights. Excellent gun for CMP shoots or any more formal target shooting.

If i were restricted to one AR15, I\'d choose the CAR15 and I\'d be looking at RRA and Bushy as mfrs. [This assumes that the mission is not CMP or formal target shooting.]

Hey guys....I've had many Colts from the SP1 to the Ar-15A2..Government....but never an H Bar..... I have 2 what you could call "AR's" but they have the NFA stamp to go with em. (both Colts BTW). I'va had a colt CAR with a 16in BBl that worked flwlessly.. a Bushmaster that worked as well as a Colt, and an Olympic Arms with a 16 in BBl that ate everything I fed it..
    The Bushmasters of the older vintage had the teardrop forward assist, which was great on the palm and thumb.. the round button type was harder to manipulate though.
    Bumper.. As a guy that has been around there for a long time in the "waltz" and "rock N Roll" types.. I would go with the Bushmaster for the price and quality .. but if you're stuck on a Colt..they are a nit pricy and .they do have that little block in the lower that just makes me feel like Colt doesn't trust me <laighing here>

Bumper being that you will be at the SHOT show in like 96 hours, you will be able tohandle all the AR's you could ever want to massage. In the SHOT show post, I linked a floor map.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links