AR-15 Recommendations Needed - Page 3

AR-15 Recommendations Needed

This is a discussion on AR-15 Recommendations Needed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; COLT !! Except for the FN, Colt is the only Department of Defense inspected manufacture. I don't mean a small department like DEA which doesn't ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AR-15 Recommendations Needed

COLT !! Except for the FN, Colt is the only Department of Defense inspected manufacture. I don't mean a small department like DEA which doesn't have the the same rigorous inspections as our Department of Defense. The first one I was issued had the "happy switch". As long as you took care of and clean it properly, it wouldn't miss a lick. Uhhhhhhh????, that was, ummmm, 44 years ago. I've had my Colt M4 Match Target AR for quite a few years, replacing the Bushmaster.

Oh, that's me with my Colt M16A1 at a forward NDP some where in the land of the big rice paddies.

MrBuckwheat likes this.

Ummm, the original poster probably already bought his rifle...that thread is 7 years old!

VIP Member
    Wow, this thread is WAAAAAAAY old. Started in 2004.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Well, I'm way old too!!!! Is there a rule that I can't post to old threads? Let me know and by the way you posted also, I guess trying to made me look stupid I guess..

I don't think he was trying to make anyone look stupid, but more likely pointing out that if hasn't figured out the right AR for him in 7 years, it's not all that likely to happen!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rambosky View Post
    Well, I'm way old too!!!! Is there a rule that I can't post to old threads? Let me know and by the way you posted also, I guess trying to made me look stupid I guess..
    Your guess is wrong. I was just amazed at how old the thread was. It's the oldest thread I've ever seen resurrected.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

It's not dead,give me the paddles.... CLEAR THUMP
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

First of all, not everyone will agree on the same manufacture. I prefer Armalite myself, but all of the brand's are close to to same. Some have a few more bells and whistles on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz275 View Post
    First of all, not everyone will agree on the same manufacture. I prefer Armalite myself, but all of the brand's are close to to same. Some have a few more bells and whistles on them.
    and secondly?

They're not really that close to the same. There are some major differences between brands like DPMS or Olympic compared to BCM, Colt, LMT, etc.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    I knew it! The old "they're all the same" line again.

Oh, that's me with my Colt M16A1 at a forward NDP some where in the land of the big rice paddies.
    Rambosky had been hunting for an excuse to post that picuture for years! Neat pic. I started reading it because I still don't have anything but my AK. I'm still trying to figure out all of the code-words and abbreviations ya'll use.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Rambosky had been hunting for an excuse to post that picuture for years! Neat pic. I started reading it because I still don't have anything but my AK. I'm still trying to figure out all of the code-words and abbreviations ya'll use.
    I really like your neat avatar pic. I don't quite use that much makeup, just a little eye brow liner.

But...if you need help with code-words and abbreviations just PM me.

look into the newer Gas piston models . They are the same platform but more reliable and much long lasting few on the market this is an excellent one.
    Of course the link shows they high end model they have lower cost ones. Amazing how clean they stay when firing. This is the route you will see the Platform going in.
    Huldra » Rifles » Huldra 5.56 X-PRE 1

Code words! That's funny, some time in the past year I replied to a thread and one member asked what all that stuff meant, so I made up a huge list. It's floating around here somewhere.

As for piston ARs… Did you know, the current DI is actually a piston. Interesting stuff MistWolf posted on m4carbine about it.

For me, they don't offer any advantage. I sold my LWRC REPR and LMT MRP but still have an 8" LWRC PSD which is a decent little rifle. I tried them and found that the parts commonality was a downside as well as the lack of hand guard options and weight, in comparison. I have so many rounds through quality DI guns in normal to extremely adverse conditions, both long and short barrels, suppressed and not, semi and full auto, that I have absolute 100% faith in quality DI M4s whether they're filthy or clean.

I do have a SCAR 16 and 17 (Light and Heavy). The 16 is great, but I prefer my ARs. The 17 on the other hand is an incredible 7.62 rifle that is extremely accurate and will put up with anything.

I'm not opposed to piston ARs, they just don't offer anything for me that a DI AR does not, and I've put thousands of rounds through them in less than idea conditions to figure this out for myself. I have no need for a piston AR, and I run short barrels and suppressors. I do understand though how there are benefits with something like an HK 416 when looking at 10.5", suppressed and full auto. Again though, if there is a benefit, it's very small. My 10.5" LMT DI rifle will do anything I ask of it.

On the other hand, if it's something like a SCAR or AK, I'll happily buy a piston rifle.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links