AR-15 Recommendations Needed

This is a discussion on AR-15 Recommendations Needed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the lifting of the ban on \"assault rifles\" and the price of AR-15\'s falling I am thinking about buying one. Last weekend\'s gun show ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: AR-15 Recommendations Needed

DC Founder

AR-15 Recommendations Needed

With the lifting of the ban on \"assault rifles\" and the price of AR-15\'s falling I am thinking about buying one. Last weekend\'s gun show here in Phoenix was absolutely LOADED with AR\'s, parts and upgrades for them at some damned reasonable prices.

I am leaning towards a Bushmaster carbine with the collapsible stock. Anyone here have enough first hand exposure to the current offering to make a recommendation? My experiences with one was in the military 20 years ago, with the M16. These are completely different animals....

2. Remove Ads

CHPBill
    You may want to look at the Rock River AR-15s selected by the DEA. They are up there with the Bushmsater I believe but a bit less expensive.....

Bushmasters are good, but I think RRA has the best rifle for the money right now. Lifetime warranty. Most models come standard with hogue grip, flash supressor, 2 stage match trigger, etc. IMHO they have a better finish (no purple tint). Really you can\'t go wrong with
    Armalite, Bushies, Colt, DPMS, or Rockriver.

Senior Moderator
    I\'ve got 3 Bushmansters that I put together.

It cheaper to buy a reciever and a top half and put the parts in yourself. Its pretty straight foward and there are a ton of options available form Bushmaster.

DC Founder
    Well, now that was another question I had. All of the parts that are on the market right now got me to wondering about whether there are many that just don\'t quite fit right and require gunsmithing to make them fit. A couple of weeks ago at the Phoenix Gun Show I went in with a pretty good idea what I wanted and left with a load of questions about all of the current offerings. It was sorta like taking a kid to a candy store and telling them they can only buy one piece.

Bumper, I suggest you start with buying a complete lower assembly and choose a complete upper assembly and mate those two together. First, you get the upper in the configuration you want and you bypass the 11% excise tax of buying a complete rifle and secondly there is no mis-matched parts or special gunsmithing. Putting the upper together with the lower is easy. Pull two pins, align the holes, and push the pins in. You do get what you pay for concerning AR stuff.
    Either Bushmaster or RRA would be nice and you could, for example, choose a RRA lower and mate with the BM upper, or vice versa. No problems with that either.

mmmmmmmmmm, get a colt, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i love my little pony! :D

I knew an AR snob would reel their ugly head (JK) In all seriousness, The Bushy and RRA dream of being a Colt.

Bumper put my vote in the Bushy column. Are polls capable here yet? I think this might make a great first poll.

~A

Of the following list which would you purchase right now?
    [list=1][*]Colt[*]Bushy[*]Armalite[*]RRA[*]MIS[*]JP[*]Wilson[*]Les Baer[/list=1]

Originally posted by spacemanspiff
    mmmmmmmmmm, get a colt, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i love my little pony! :D

you mean if money wasnt a limiting factor?

first of all, you gotta narrow the parameters down.
    do i want a plinking ar?
    match grade?
    varmint?
    cqb?

i\'ll tell you what i want out of each of those manufacturers:

colt - m4, 6920 (incase i ever find a m203 grenade launcher at a garage sale)
    bushmaster - ar in .308
    armalite ar-10
    rra - the one for dea
    wilson - for when i really wanna be a ninja
    les baer - match grade, with long heavy barrel and all the bells/whistles

each one of those mnfctrs serves a different purpose.

Spaceman, how\'z about for a first AR???

Parameters: Good foundation with decent accuray, yet not ungodly heavy such as a Varminter with Monte Carlo this and Free Float handguards and the like. BBL around the 16inch mark. Reliability is key.

~A

Go for a bushy I love mine and it has seen 10kor 11k rounds with no problems what so ever..

i have the shorty Hbar xm15e or something like that Fine rifle

I\'ve seen most of the major manufacturers and shot many of them. Every maker has a lemon or two, some more than others. Some have more lemons that working models.

Colt, Lewis Machine & Tool, Bushmaster, RRA, in that order.

My experience also started over 20 years ago with the M16a1. Colt then, and Colt now. Although I just purchased a Flattop upper and am going to the 21st century Eotech Sight system. It truly is a generation away from my sons fathers Colt.

As spacemanspiff asked, what are you using it for? Targets, plinking, SHTF, etc? If you want a target rifle then I\'d look for one without the chrome lined bore but if it\'s for SHTF stuff or something you may use to defend yourself, I\'d go chrome lined bore. Also for the 16in carbines, you may want to check out the mid-length barrels (Armalite & RRA). These seem to recoil a little less than the others 16 inchers and that saves on wear and tear on the rifle. Also to consider is what weight barrel such as the light weight, heavy barrel, A2 (thin under handguards, heavy front sight to muzzle).
    If you are only getting one I\'d read up on the subject before choosing. My serious rifle is a collapsible stock carbine with a RRA Heavy, Chrome Lined. Mid-length barrel. Most of the other parts are Armalite and it runs great. I read up on what features I thought were most important before buying the parts and building it.
    I think you\'ll be happy with the Bushmaster M4 or any similiar ones from Armalite, Colt, RRA, Fulton etc.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by heathen
    As spacemanspiff asked, what are you using it for? Targets, plinking, SHTF, etc?
    Probably all of the above. I sold my \"mean ass rifle\" and just need a new one now ;)

Sounds like you want a serious rifle to use for plinking/targets also. The Bushmaster Carbine should be a good buy and they have a great reputation for quality. A friend has a Bushmaster M4 Clone and it\'s sweet. You may be able to save a little money by buying a DPMS or RRA though. Problem is that there are so many good choices that it\'s hard to pick just one. I\'m thinking about an AR or AK pistol next for a fun/useless, range awakening, flame throwing toy. :rock:

Also in the future is an AR10. I\'ve drooled over those for years but the mag prices were too high during the ban. It\'s hard to beat a 308 AR15. :kay:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links