AK pistol for home defense or truck gun?

This is a discussion on AK pistol for home defense or truck gun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray Now this is only one view but the pistol grip shotguns are not as handy to actually shoot as they are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AK pistol for home defense or truck gun?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Now this is only one view but the pistol grip shotguns are not as handy to actually shoot as they are to tote. I like all my long arms to have stocks. Others will feel differently about it though.

They do have the "look" about them though.
    I agree overall that a stock is a much better option, but given what he wants to do with the gun, and he intends it to ride "shotgun" (pun intended). Its not gonna be a range gun or daili shooter, so the pistol grip fits this role a little better IMO.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I think that a AK pistol would be a great choice for a truck gun, I am looking into that option myself currently, I would get polymer mags instead of steel though, with the winters in Michigan I wouldn't want to worry about the vehicle heating up and condensation forming on the previously frosty mags and causing them to rust
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Using a single point sling, you can easily carry it and bring it up very quickly if need be.
    My apologies for reviving an older thread (a month and a half old, now?) but it is quite pertinent to what I'm doing right now.

Here in Arkansas our church carry bill failed. CHCL holders are still unable to carry a handgun in church. Many people just break the law (one legislator wondered out loud what the fuss was all about, since so many people just carry anyway) but I'm not a lawbreaker and I think CHCL holders doing that sends the wrong message about who we are, providing we're not in a SHTF scenario.

Arkansas law is SILENT on carrying long guns (anything with a barrel longer than 12", under state law) pretty much anywhere. Of course, federal laws still apply including the Gun Free School Zones Act (don't get me started on that one!)

For this reason I've thought about buying an inexpensive Draco AK-47 pistol with a 12.25" barrel for one main activity: church! I'm always wearing a suit, so I would think I'd have a decent shot at concealing it. What do you all think? Could I hide it? What carry method might work and with which product (holster)? What ammo should I use?

I am a CHCL Instructor in Arkansas and know the law quite well. My primary concern is whether I could conceal this.

Edit - Nevermind, I think I understand what you're asking..

A single point sling would be the best option, though I'd never do it. Having said that, I've 'concealed' a LWRC PSD 8" Under an overcoat before during an 'exercise'. It can be done. Just like a full size pistol on a small person, it's all in how we carry ourselves.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    A single point sling would be the best option, though I'd never do it. Having said that, I've 'concealed' a LWRC PSD 8" Under an overcoat before during an 'exercise'. It can be done. Just like a full size pistol on a small person, it's all in how we carry ourselves.
    Thanks. I wonder if there's some better design for this function out there that I could construct myself... like a high-riding holster with a snap so that it could be unsnapped and pulled forward rather than pulled upward like a normal handgun holster.

Of course, my desire to do this is more political than practical. I don't want people in the church to see it easily (scare people) but do want to tell these stupid legislators next time around that I carried an AK-47 while they won't let me carry my Glock.

Stupidity abounds in the Arkansas Senate.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    7.62x39 130gr Glaser | CORŽBON/Glaser Self Defense | Dakota Ammo

Buy your AK pistol, and USE it! It's expensive, but if you load 12rds, then the rest hollow/soft point, you will be covered for almost anything.

"Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I would think for your purposes, an off-body option might be better. What about a soft-sided briefcase or messenger bag? If you have young kids, folks most likely won't even give you a second look. I know that it would be hard for me to conceal a Draco pistol on my body w/out a long coat. When I wear a suit, I like them to look like they fit too.
    I've decided to wait on buying a Draco pistol. There are just too many on the wish list.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    I had an AK pistol for a while, but have traded it off and am semi-sorta-looking for an AR pistol now. I can put a red-dot on an AR pistol easier and I can use the tube to get a cheek weld on it if I want or need to.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    I would think for your purposes, an off-body option might be better. What about a soft-sided briefcase or messenger bag? If you have young kids, folks most likely won't even give you a second look. I know that it would be hard for me to conceal a Draco pistol on my body w/out a long coat. When I wear a suit, I like them to look like they fit too.
    I've decided to wait on buying a Draco pistol. There are just too many on the wish list.
    That's an interesting idea. My son is three and I'm sure we'll have more kids. We still carry bags all the time and that might work. The only thing I don't like about off-body carry, other than reaction time, is that I don't have the control over the firearm that I would prefer. I'll still consider it though since it's probably the only workable solution... and it's a lot cheaper than buying a SBR! Thank you for the advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links