AK pistol for home defense or truck gun?

This is a discussion on AK pistol for home defense or truck gun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know this is the rifle and shotgun page, but the AK pistol is more rifle than pistol. 7.62x39, same mags, same operation, etc... minus ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AK pistol for home defense or truck gun?

I know this is the rifle and shotgun page, but the AK pistol is more rifle than pistol. 7.62x39, same mags, same operation, etc... minus but stock.
    I know the arguments (and generally agree) about how it is better to have a weapon with a butt-stock. However, I believe that the AK pistol may have some advantages to some.
    -In Michigan, I can carry a loaded pistol in my vehicle with a valid CPL (CCW), but I cannot do so with a long gun.
    -much more portability and smaller size for a duffel bag or backpack in a WROL, Bug-Out, SHTF, or otherwise need for discreet carry.
    -More firepower than a pistol or pistol caliber carbine
    -interchangeable ammo and mags with a long gun w/out giving up much in terms of performance.
    -many accessories available for the AK rifle will also fit the pistol.
    -Maybe hard to aim, but with the addition of a laser and lots of practice...maybe not an issue.
    -easier to find than an under folder.

Most underfolders are considered "handguns" in Michigan if they are under 30 inches folded. Still the pistol is much shorter over all in length.

What do you think? Would an AK pistol have any practical applications or should I just get one because I don't already have one and they are cool?
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

How are you going to butt-stroke your assailant?

The 7.62X39 cartridge is great but an AK "handgun" is neither fish nor fowl and lacks the unique positive attributes of both handguns and carbines. Because of this it becomes a clumsy choice.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Not only that, AK's as a home/car defense gun is not safe because of the strength of the 7.62 round. That thing will go through several walls before stopping. You start shooting that thing anywhere save the backwoods country and you are more than likely to hit someone/something you don't want to.
    This video is not the one I was looking for, that I saw awhile back. And it is water not solid, but you get the idea.... YouTube - .223 versus 7.62x39 Penetration testing

Cool

What those first two guys said. It would not be the best choice for me for either proposed use . I would not even consider an AR-15 pistol. Get a good quality defensive caliber handgun and learn it well.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

What post 2,3, and 4 said.

Yeah, that's what I expected folks to say. I guess I know better myself.
    I'm very happy with my current home defense options and training (always seeking more training though).
    I suppose I'm thinking more about the option to keep it ready to go in a vehicle or backpack if I were in a SHTF situation. That said there are better options in handguns and carbines and if it were a true SHTF, personal safety for me and mine will trump regulations. I still may end up with one though - just because I NEED one. :) Just don't tell my wife. Smaller guns don't take up as much space in the safe and are easier to overlook.

"I still may end up with one though - just because I NEED one."

Opinions about the suitability of its configuration aside, it is bound to be eminently suitable to address the NEEDS of one's personal whims. Good 'nuff reason in my book.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Get you some copper-clad nylon (croud control) bullets. UP close, suspect they would kill just as well, but at a distance...dunno, but safer than the FMJ or HP rounds. They do have plastic/nylon ammo. Would suspect a BG that got peppered with a bunch of these wouldn't hang around. See your point of a potent pistol but also availability of a rifle as well. Have you checked into the products that Kel-Tec is making lately? They have some interesting stuff and their new shotgun is a 15 round model.

If you want it, good enough. Does your state restrictions cover NFA firearms? Just SBR it and get the best of both worlds.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    I'd like to have one with the 200 dollar tax stamp. I'd put a folding stock and a front vertical grip on. I think that would be super cool.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

As I read current law, MI does not allow SBR or SBS. Seems kinda stupid considering I can carry a Keltec PLR-16 with a 30 round mag under my coat if I wanted. Also, if a rifle has a 16 inch barrel or 18 for shotgun and falls between the dimensions of 26-30 inches in it's shortest configuration (folding stock) it is classified as a "handgun" and thus legal to own and carry concealed with a CPL. Yet a gun with the same over all dimensions, but with a 15 inch barrel, is considered illegal to own even with a stamp.

That makes absolutely no sense at all. The Dracos make neat SBRs

And, I can see no reason to load a civillian's defense gun with LTL ammo. What use is a nylon and copper rifle
    round? I don't see the application.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

The AK pistols are very cool and I can see you wanting one, but overall their use as a truck gun is pretty marginal for all the above listed reasons. Under the description you give, I would rather jeep a shotgun with a pistol grip on it than an AK pistol in the vehicle. SBR would be the way to go for all accounts but if you want a heavier hitter than a handgun, then go with the pistol grip shotgun.

Possibly a cheap Mossberg Persuader.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Now this is only one view but the pistol grip shotguns are not as handy to actually shoot as they are to tote. I like all my long arms to have stocks. Others will feel differently about it though.

They do have the "look" about them though.
    jwhite75 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I suppose I'm thinking more about the option to keep it ready to go in a vehicle or backpack if I were in a SHTF situation.
    You aren't alone. I'm doing a very brisk business is making such guns. Although I am mostly SBRing the Draco's they are becoming very popular guns for the SHTF guns that most of us know ain't that far off.
    The thing that makes the Draco shine more so than other guns is that the 7.62x 39 loses very little velocity in the short barrel which makes it one of the harder hitters out there in a pistol configuration.

IN a SHTF scenario, you WANT penetration, all that you can get. You want it to turn vehicles into swiss cheese, shoot through trees and lots of cover. In that configuration it could be concealed under a coat, a back pack are even kept in your lap when in a vehicle. Its the very reason that the SBR's are very popular with convoy and dignitary protection units.

Using a single point sling, you can easily carry it and bring it up very quickly if need be.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links