Actual Usage of H.D. Shotguns ?

This is a discussion on Actual Usage of H.D. Shotguns ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend and I are having a discussion on how often tactical shotguns are ACTUALLY USED in home defense situations by non-LEO's. He maintains these ...

Thread: Actual Usage of H.D. Shotguns ?

Actual Usage of H.D. Shotguns ?

A friend and I are having a discussion on how often tactical shotguns are ACTUALLY USED in home defense situations by non-LEO's. He maintains these occurences are extremely rare, and almost non-existent.

I would appreciate anyone posting newspaper articles here, where a tactical shotgun was used by a homeowner to sctually stop a crime.

THANKS.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    About ten years ago my boss's dad had to use his 12 gauge to stop a home invasion. Both BGs were KIA. I love a happy ending. :) Sorry though, no article.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I hope I NEVER need to use mine. That said, I think it is a fine choice and my go-to gun for hunkering down in a home invasion. I'm not going to suggest clearing your home under most circumstances.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

RKM
    What does being tactical have to do with anything? What makes it tactical? A light? Folding stock? Pistol grip? Peep sights? Short barrel?

My shotgun, would be called "tactical" by some, due to it's look. I put on a pistol grip AR-15 style folding stock. Honestly, it just feel more comfortable for my wrist. Looking cool (to me) doesn't hurt. I have a mounted light so I don't kill a family member. Mounted is a must, unless you have three hands.

A shotgun is a shotgun, tactical or not.

911 call from a shooting involving a shotgun. My guess is that the vast majority of shotguns used are just hunting guns that are kept out and loaded.

YouTube - Woman on 911 Call Shoots Intruder

One more

YouTube - Man Uses Shotgun to Protect Home
    Last edited by chiefjason; March 12th, 2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: add link
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    Mine turns "tactical" when it stops shooting clays and starts shooting BG's.

There are a lot of examples out there, and its relatively common occurrence. I think you will find a lot more handguns being used in self defense simply because more people own handguns for defense than shotguns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Mine turns "tactical" when it stops shooting clays and starts shooting BG's.
    LOL. Mine too. I do switch out to a shorter barrel though for HD.

Besides, you can't fool me SIXTO. I'll bet you have a spiffy Citori or similar for busting birds. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    A "tactical" shotgun is just a shotgun with accessories such as a light, side saddle, sling and special sights or optics. Nonetheless, it is still just a shotgun. Therefore, you just have to take into consideration home invasions that have been stopped by any kind of shotgun (12 gauge, 20 gauge, .410, etc.). I think that a 12 gauge shotgun is the ultimate home defense firearm and the # 1 choice by American homeowners to protect their family and property. Nothing demands more respect and provides security, than the sound of a pump shotgun slide being loaded.

Here's some news articles, that I found by doing a simple Google search, about home invasions in the United States that were effectively stopped by a shotgun:

Here's some links also to YouTube videos with news reports about home invasions stopped by a shotgun:

As you can see, a shotgun is used to stop home invasions in the United States very frequently so perhaps your friend should buy one as well!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Actually, in my own lifetime of 67 years, I've had to present my HD Shotgun twice in response to deadly aggression and in both cases the perp lost interest in continuing without a shot having to be fired. My shotgun of choice is a 12 ga S x S Coach Gun with an extra five round tactical polymer buttstock holder on it. Nothing else has been done to it.

Both bores and the front edges are chromed, which sets of the two large holes to good effect.

The only other incident I've had is when a .25 Nickle-plated little semi-auto stopped a carjacking on me cold, also without a shot having to be fired. (It was empty at the time but I didn't tell him that!!)
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

Links