The reality of an SBR?

The reality of an SBR?

This is a discussion on The reality of an SBR? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Realistically what would it take time an effort wise to get the tax stamp paperwork done? I envision buying a Draco pistol and making it ...

Thread: The reality of an SBR?

VIP Member

The reality of an SBR?

Realistically what would it take time an effort wise to get the tax stamp paperwork done?

I envision buying a Draco pistol and making it into an SBR. How would I do that legally?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

If the Kel-tec RFB was easier to get a hang of, I'd recommend that. You basically get the advantages of a SBR but without running afoul of any NFA nonsense. Of course, it is a "heavy" caliber, which may or may not be something you want.

Administrator
    Not much effort if you have a good class 3 dealer. It will take time, in waiting though. I've never gone through the process myself, but have a few friends who have. They all say to buy from an experianced class 3 and its pretty smooth. They will know exactly what and how to do, and they'll do a lot of the work for you.
    "Just blame Sixto"

To do it yourself will cost you $200 for the stamp, whatever you pay for the stock, and whatever it costs to engrave info on the firearm. You can go fancy, cheap, or somewhere in between with that. My local "Things Remembered" store gets $28 to engrave what I need. If you use a trust, which I would recommend, add whatever it costs to set that up. You might be able to get it free off of the internet, get an "instant" one like Quicken Willmaker or a kit from Office Max, or get your lawer to do it for a couple hundred bucks. The forms are free and the wait is usually 3 to 4 months from what I hear lately.

Get two sets of paperwork filled out and sent in, Get the receiver engraved while you wait, and screw it all together when the forms come back.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I just finished a Draco.

I put a Midwest Industries Tri rail on it, along with a Magpul collapsible stock which folds and a Magpul grip. Its pretty tough looking. I don't fool with the paperwork myself, being a an 07/02 FFL, but I do it for others that need it.

If you are doing it yourself:
    Have the ATF send you a couple of Form 1's. Go to their website and they will send them to you for free.
    Also get the citizenship form(F 5330.20) that you must fill in and a couple of fingerprint cards.(FBI FD-258LE) They'll have them to you in a couple of weeks.You can get them here...Distribution Center Order Form

Fill out the forms, get the CLEO to sign it, attach a 2x2 photo to it, get a money order for 200 bucks and send it in.

You fill out the Forms in duplicate because they keep one and they send you one back with the tax stamp affixed to it.

If you are having a dealer do it, its a Form 4. He should help you. The proccess is the same except that he will build the gun, register it with the ATF and then when the Form comes back, you get the gun.

Before you do that, the gun must be built and the serial number must be registered. He can fax a form in that does it pretty quickly, but you'll need the serial numbers on the gun to put on the form.

Its not hard, but it does take time to do all of the above.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I just finished a Draco.

I put a Midwest Industries Tri rail on it, along with a Magpul collapsible stock which folds and a Magpul grip. Its pretty tough looking. I don't fool with the paperwork myself, being a an 07/02 FFL, but I do it for others that need it.

If you are doing it yourself:
    Have the ATF send you a couple of Form 1's. Go to their website and they will send them to you for free.
    Also get the citizenship form(F 5330.20) that you must fill in and a couple of fingerprint cards.(FBI FD-258LE) They'll have them to you in a couple of weeks.You can get them here...Distribution Center Order Form

Fill out the forms, get the CLEO to sign it, attach a 2x2 photo to it, get a money order for 200 bucks and send it in.

You fill out the Forms in duplicate because they keep one and they send you one back with the tax stamp affixed to it.

If you are having a dealer do it, its a Form 4. He should help you. The proccess is the same except that he will build the gun, register it with the ATF and then when the Form comes back, you get the gun.

Before you do that, the gun must be built and the serial number must be registered. He can fax a form in that does it pretty quickly, but you'll need the serial numbers on the gun to put on the form.

Its not hard, but it does take time to do all of the above.
    How bout some pics Hotguns? I'd like to see a finished Draco. How does it shoot?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Moderator
    I'm going to have to get a new camera first. The old one is dead. Then I'll show you pics of my SBR AK , the SBR AR and SBS Saiga 12 gage.

It shoots quite well. Everyone that sees it wants one just like it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    To do it yourself will cost you $200 for the stamp, whatever you pay for the stock, and whatever it costs to engrave info on the firearm. You can go fancy, cheap, or somewhere in between with that. My local "Things Remembered" store gets $28 to engrave what I need. If you use a trust, which I would recommend, add whatever it costs to set that up. You might be able to get it free off of the internet, get an "instant" one like Quicken Willmaker or a kit from Office Max, or get your lawer to do it for a couple hundred bucks. The forms are free and the wait is usually 3 to 4 months from what I hear lately.

Get two sets of paperwork filled out and sent in, Get the receiver engraved while you wait, and screw it all together when the forms come back.
    You lost me at the trust part. Can you explain the need for a trust a little better please. Is this for handing this weapon off to a loved one after I'm gone?

VIP Member
    I'm going to have to get a new camera first. The old one is dead. Then I'll show you pics of my SBR AK , the SBR AR and SBS Saiga 12 gage.

It shoots quite well. Everyone that sees it wants one just like it.
    I hate a dead camera!

I'm going to send you a PM with some more questions.

Senior Moderator
    Once you establish a trust, you dont have to have the CLEO signoff and fingerprints. Plus, whoever you name on the trust can take the gun and legally possess it, meaning that they can take it to the range and shoot it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Once you establish a trust, you dont have to have the CLEO signoff and fingerprints. Plus, whoever you name on the trust can take the gun and legally possess it, meaning that they can take it to the range and shoot it.
    I'm pretty ignorant about this stuff. So thanks for the patience. One more question...Who or what is a CLEO?

Chief Law Enforcement Officer, could be sheriff, local police chief, AG, head of state police.....

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Realistically what would it take time an effort wise to get the tax stamp paperwork done?

I envision buying a Draco pistol and making it into an SBR. How would I do that legally?
    For a Draco, you have to make it 922r compliant in the process of building the rifle. It can have no more than ten of certain parts that are foreign made. You need to change a few things. It's not really a big deal.

This calculator tells you what parts are allowed to be foreign made. It also says that 922r does not apply to NFA items, but this is no longer true. Gunwiki: Generic 922(r) Worksheet
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

It's definitely worth the 3 or 4 month wait. A good friend of mine SBR's everything and just SBR'd his Glock 17 and his TP9 pistol so he could put the folding stock on it. It turned out to be pretty cool. So, other than the $200 and the wait, class 3 stuff is easy and fun. Also, I always go the trust route. You can put others on it so they can use it or easily own them if something should happen to you. This is important on the full auto guns due to price.

Enjoy and post some pics when the time comes.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    OK guys, thanks. I'm going to start with the trust and work from there.

Links