Mini 14 Fun

Mini 14 Fun

This is a discussion on Mini 14 Fun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Mini 14 and I took a trip to the range yesterday. This is one of the newer 581 series. A local dealer recently added ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini 14 Fun

VIP Member

Mini 14 Fun

The Mini 14 and I took a trip to the range yesterday. This is one of the newer 581 series. A local dealer recently added a nice Leupold AR scope to the rifle and I was itching to try it out.

There was a light breeze crossing from right to left and the temperature was in the mid 30's. I had a number of boxes of Winchester 5.56 55 gr rounds with me.

I could not get on paper at 100 yards. I backed down to 50 yards and still could not get on paper. In desparation, I went to 15 yards and still nothing! Supposedly the dealer had bore sighted the scope - I don't see how.

Rather than waste the day and a whole lotta ammo, I removed the scope and went back to the iron sights. I love iron sights.

This was my best effort at 100 yards (see attachment). Note I said my best effort, not the Mini 14's best effort. I'm getting older - hate to admit that - and the target is one tiny blur at 100 yards. I fired 9 shots total in 3 shot strings. 8 of 9 rounds landed on paper.

The first group was left and verticle. The next group was low and centered with 2 shots off the paper.

I used a bit of Kentucky windage for the third group. 2 of 3 shots found the diamond, and the 3rd was just outside.

The Mini 14 is a fine shooter. Accurate enough for home defense and shtf needs. At 25 yards I can group 3 shots touching if I do my part. At 50 yards I can keep a 3 - 4 inch group. At 100 yards, well, lets just say I don't see so good anymore, but torso hits are not a problem.

My Mini 14 shoots just a bit to the left. I probably need to twist the front sight barrel band a bit if I can find instructions for doing so. I have put up with it for a bit, but maybe it is time for a serious adjustment.

I like my Mini 14 over my AR's for a couple of reasons. One is realibility and ruggedness. I like the peep sights on the rifle, and the rifle fits well. I still like my AR's too, but I shoot a whole lot better with the Mini 14, and that is kinda the point, isn't it?
    Attached Images

i ran a gun shop for 3 years.. we sold many.... i know a few friends that have them... i never saw 1 that could stay on a paper plate at 100... they blow..

I can tell you right now, your trouble is not your eyes or the gun. Its your aiming reference point. By looking at your target , I can tell you are using a center mass aim. Change to a six oclock position, and adjust your sights for that POI. That gun will shoot just fine, and you will too.

I have one of the older stainless thin barrel mini's that is really a dog in the accuracy dept, scoped or open sights. I finally decided to let it just be a safe fixture. Your 581 has more metal in the barrel and should shoot somewhat better than mine, but I have never seen a mini 14 or 30 that was what I would consider to be really accurate. With that said, I have not seen or shot the tactical versions that I understand to be very accurate.

They are a fun and very reliable rifle that will bang out lots of rounds for years without an issue although they seem to prefer Ruger mags.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    i ran a gun shop for 3 years.. we sold many.... i know a few friends that have them... i never saw 1 that could stay on a paper plate at 100... they blow..
    That's what I love about this forum. Nothing but class here. Yup, nothing but class.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I have a Mini 30 "ranch" with a 3-9x variable scope,I've taken a few deer with it had one at about 200 yards and hit her right where I was aiming,My my AR's are a lot more accurate,but in Ks ya can't hunt deer with a 223.I now have an AR upper in 7.62x39
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That's what I love about this forum. Nothing but class here. Yup, nothing but class.
    lol
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    I dunno...I have one of the newer Mini 14 Ranch rifles, with a 3-9 X scope. Got groups less than 2" across at 100 yards with cheap ammo and a hot barrel. Works for me.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I've always liked Minis.

Of course, I liked them a heck of a lot MORE when they cost less than an AR-15.
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

I had an older model. I took a piece of cardboard about the size of the average mans torso and put a shirt on it, set it up at 200 yards and with the open sites from a field sitting position, proceeded to ventilate the target. 20 rounds in the mag, and 20 holes in the cardboard and shirt.

This is what the mini was designed for, and I think it performs very well. I actually prefer it's operating system to the AR.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I had an older model. I took a piece of cardboard about the size of the average mans torso and put a shirt on it, set it up at 200 yards and with the open sites from a field sitting position, proceeded to ventilate the target. 20 rounds in the mag, and 20 holes in the cardboard and shirt.

This is what the mini was designed for, and I think it performs very well. I actually prefer it's operating system to the AR.
    Same here, I too, prefer the operating system over the AR. My eyes won't allow me to shoot out to 200 yards anymore, at least I have not tried it. But out to 100 yards, torso its are not a problem. It is what the mini was designed for, and it does it well.

I owned a mini 14 years ago and it was definitely not a tack driver, however, a friend of mine has a new one that is just as accurarte as my AR-15. A bad rap for accuracy is hard to overcome, but things have changed.

I'm curious as to how someone would bore-sight a scope on a mini. FWIW, I have had a Mini-14 for about 16 years, and I absolutely love it. Mine is a great, reliable, combat accurate rifle. Every time I have to clean my AR, I like my Mini just that much more. Mini-14's are kind of like Taurus handguns. There are a lot of myths and old wife's tales being passed along by gun-store commandos, who have never fired one.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I'm curious as to how someone would bore-sight a scope on a mini.
    I'd say not very well from my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I'm curious as to how someone would bore-sight a scope on a mini. FWIW, I have had a Mini-14 for about 16 years, and I absolutely love it. Mine is a great, reliable, combat accurate rifle. Every time I have to clean my AR, I like my Mini just that much more. Mini-14's are kind of like Taurus handguns. There are a lot of myths and old wife's tales being passed along by gun-store commandos, who have never fired one.
    Laser bore sighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links