AR-15 not feeding and jamming

This is a discussion on AR-15 not feeding and jamming within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got an ar-15 on a trade and the guy i got it from was an at home gunsmith... or so he thought. I had ...

Thread: AR-15 not feeding and jamming

I got an ar-15 on a trade and the guy i got it from was an at home gunsmith... or so he thought. I had to have the gas tube replaced, a free float system removed, and I had to have the bolt repaired. I took it out to shoot it and the first few rounds shot fine. But then it quit feeding the rounds. I had to cock it every time i fired. Then sometimes it wouldn't catch the very back of the round and would jam. I'm thinking it's either the Mag or maybe the stock spring has too much tension behind it and wont allow the bolt to come all the way back to feed the next round.

Any other Ideas on what could be wrong?

What was wrong with the free float tube?
    When trouble shooting an AR I always start at the gas port and work my way back. Make sure the ports in the gas block and barrel are aligned. Even though I've never seen a problem with the gas tube or key I check them for blockage and eliminate them. Then I check the charging handle to make sure it's not bent, the gas key rides a long the top of it when cycling and if it's bent it will cause the bolt to short cycle. If the charging handle is straight I go to the bolt and bolt carrier cleaning it and change the gas rings. Then make sure you lube the bolt and BCG with a good quality lube (I personally like Tetra gun grease). I doubt seriously that there is a problem with the buffer spring unless it was replaced with an extra power spring at some point, but I have seen bent buffer tubes that would cause issues.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My first thought was magazine issues, do you have several different ones and if so, does it do it with all of the mags?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

It's too hard to even guess here without more info, but I'd definitely start with the gas system on this one after trying a new magazine (which i doubt is the problem). Is there leaking around the gas block? Is the gas key staked properly? I'd seriously doubt it's the spring. What buffer are you using? Do you have any other mags to try? What ammo are you using? Can you tell us exactly what model AR it is, what components have been altered, etc.. Close up pics of the gas block, gas key, extractor, and other small parts could help a bit.

Is the bolt moving all the way to the rear? Is it extracting far away or loosely? Post whatever info you can think of, even if it seems insignificant. You may need to talk to the manufacturer. If it's DPMS or BM, I'd look at the chamber as well as they (especially DPMS) can be too tight and need reemed.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

You can check a few things by opening it up,does the bolt carrier group slide back and forth easily in the charging handle groove look at the buffer tube and see if it has any dings or marks on t.with the upper reciver closed when you cycle the bcg by hand do you feel any resistance other than spring tension,I would lube the BCG good,there have been numerous AR cycling problems fixed with lubing the BCG
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fox2102 View Post
    I got an ar-15 on a trade and the guy i got it from was an at home gunsmith... or so he thought. I had to have the gas tube replaced, a free float system removed, and I had to have the bolt repaired. I took it out to shoot it and the first few rounds shot fine. But then it quit feeding the rounds. I had to cock it every time i fired. Then sometimes it wouldn't catch the very back of the round and would jam. I'm thinking it's either the Mag or maybe the stock spring has too much tension behind it and wont allow the bolt to come all the way back to feed the next round.
    Any other Ideas on what could be wrong?
    Who Fixed those things for you?
    If it was a Paid Gunsmith take it back and have him INSPECT everything.

If the original owner Built or Modified the barreled upper you might never figure out what's screwed up , a Gunsmith may.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Also check the ammo, are you using Wolf ammo? Some AR's won't cycle for crap with wolf until they are thoroughly broken in, or the recoil spring is replaced with a lighter one.
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

Yeah, Wolf ammo sucks... cheap but it's dirty and underpowered. Stinks too. My Colt will shoot it but it gets finicky and I have a 20 rnd mag that it doesn't like to feed from. I can shoot good ammo from that same mag and have no problem which was peculiar to me...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

RKM
    All I know is, I just installed a gas block on my AR. While it works just fine, the biggest thing to go wrong when messing the the gas tube, block or anything, is too make sure everything is lined up so the gas system is "sealed". The gas needs to make it's way to the bolt so it functions properly. Especially make sure to port on the barrel and the gas block are lined up. Easy to do if it's a pinned gas block. It almost HAS to line up. If it's a clamp on or any other style, there is high probability that it's not lined up.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    All I know is, I just installed a gas block on my AR. While it works just fine, the biggest thing to go wrong when messing the the gas tube, block or anything, is too make sure everything is lined up so the gas system is "sealed". The gas needs to make it's way to the bolt so it functions properly. Especially make sure to port on the barrel and the gas block are lined up. Easy to do if it's a pinned gas block. It almost HAS to line up. If it's a clamp on or any other style, there is high probability that it's not lined up.
    You seem on with your assessment. A DI AR is all about making sure that gas get back to the bolt otherwise you are screwed.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Maybe the small retaining pin the holds the buffer spring back is broke?
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Links