Want feedback on Ruger mini 30 for a multi purpose rifle

This is a discussion on Want feedback on Ruger mini 30 for a multi purpose rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thinking of buying one of the new mini 30s in ranch style configuration and mounting a fixed power Burris scope on it. My question is ...

Thread: Want feedback on Ruger mini 30 for a multi purpose rifle

Want feedback on Ruger mini 30 for a multi purpose rifle

Thinking of buying one of the new mini 30s in ranch style configuration and mounting a fixed power Burris scope on it. My question is for the people who have experience with this rifle in the 7.62x39 cal.

What is the availability of high cap mags for it.?
    What are the typical accuracy levels for it?
    Reloading options in bullet selection?
    Hunting uses for medium game?

Any thoughts , or suggestions from those with first hand experience would be appriciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Glockman from what I've learned the older ones aren't very accurate. Ruger retooled their line not too long ago and tightened things up. The new ones are getting great reviews and are under two MOA at 100yds. My advice is to avoid the old ones with the pencil thin barrels and jump on a new one.

I thought this review was pretty good.

Ruger Mini-30 Tactical
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

As far as magazines go, as I understand it the new Mini-30s come from the factory with 20 round mags, and probably cost about $30 or so each for extras.

Accuracy wise, it's probably going to be one of those things where the accuracy of the ammunition is more of a factor than the accuracy of the rifle. There's some REALLY nice hunting rounds for 7.62x39 nowadays, but they aren't cheap, and the cheap stuff isn't really tack-driving material.

The 7.62x39 uses a different bullet than the .308, so there's no overlap there, but the round's a pretty darned good deer round. It's ballistically almost identical to the 30-30, so it'd be just as good of a hunting round.

I'd say, just like all of the Ruger minis nowadays, that it's overpriced for what it is, and a Saiga 7.62 would probably be more bang for the buck, and likely not any less accurate. But if you like how the minis handle, it's not a bad weapon by any means.
    The ALTAC internet show: http://altac6.blip.tv

I've shot deer with my mini 30 ranch out to about 200 yards and I hit right where I was aiming,gun was bought around 2001,I have a 3x9 burris scope on it.I just bought a new factory 20 round mag for it,up until recently you couldn't get a factory mag over 5 rounds,and aftermarket 10 rounders were hit and miss.I think my 20 rounder was around 30.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links