Camp Atturbury Indiana

This is a discussion on Camp Atturbury Indiana within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today I drove the hour to get to the local military base to go shooting. Took my AK-47 and three hundred rounds. Lesson learned, need ...

Thread: Camp Atturbury Indiana

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Camp Atturbury Indiana

Today I drove the hour to get to the local military base to go shooting. Took my AK-47 and three hundred rounds. Lesson learned, need more ammo when I take it to the range. Get to the range, find that noone else is using it. So now I am able to signal hot line and cease fire to the range operator as I please. I also did not have to abide by normal rules as long as I did not do anything unsafe. (unsafe things were defined be myself and the RSO prior to making the trip for what I could do on an empty range by myself) I mostly shot on the 50 yard range so I could moniter my shots from the bench without an optic. Upon my examination with each string of 60 I realized that my shooting was disintegrating my targets turning the sea of black into a sea of green. I had little felt recoil from it and the gun was absolutely a dream to shoot. After 300 rounds my barrel was smoking and smoke was coming out from under the handguards, I assume that was the cosmolene grease burning off of the underside of the barrel. I also noticed some sparks coming off the edge of the barrel when I shot a few different rounds. I have also seen sparks off of my pistols and shotgun so it does not concern me. I also learned that I need to wear a glove as the plastic handguard also heats up over time. All in all, I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad I invested the 500 bucks in this pleasant shooter. Total cost for the trip down there, range fees, a unloaded chamber indicator, targets, 100 more rounds and gas down there was about 55 dollers. Much much less than a trip to pops would cost me for gas, ammo, range time, and targets, even though it is over three times the distance to drive. The range was absolutely beautiful and due to the rain noone showed up at all so I had the entire complex to myself.
    190260_190877297617897_100000868843766_471362_7619081_s.jpg198904_190877244284569_100000868843766_471361_5729363_s.jpg
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a very good time. Good looking targets!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Sparks are just powder, don't worry about it. Oil and grease will smoke, mine are always smoking, especially in the rain. I zero my ARs and S/A 7.62's at 50, so it keeps it flat out to 300 give or take a few inches, obviously. Gloves are not a bad idea, or you could try some wood hand guards or railed handguards w/ rail covers. Both should be a little more pleasant on the hands.

Glad you enjoyed t, it never gets old!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

im looking into railed handguards, i wanna trick my AK out a bit when some more money comes in, im thinking a front grip, holographic sight and a light/laser combo
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

btw jon, that pic of the range is the range i was telling you about in that other thread

Links