For the sake of conversation...

This is a discussion on For the sake of conversation... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let's say I have been presented with a "sawed off", side by side, double barrel 20 gauge. Perhaps the barrell length is 19 inches and ...

Thread: For the sake of conversation...

For the sake of conversation...

Let's say I have been presented with a "sawed off", side by side, double barrel 20 gauge. Perhaps the barrell length is 19 inches and the overall length is 27 3/4 inches. When this imagined shotgun was dreamed up, since a pistol grip is, I believe, illegal, the stock was cut at the back edge of the curve, and was nicely finished out to somewhat resemble the handle of a musket pistol...Kinda hard to describe, but I'm doin the best I can. NOW HERE'S MY QUESTION...Does anyone know of a "shotshell holder" that could somehow be mounted on this described weapon? A double (two) shell holder would be fine, a four shell holder would be great. Where/how could it be mounted and where can I find something along these lines OR does someone have an idea as to how to rig one up. Obviously this weapon will be held at hip level for a point and shoot! Just might need/want a quick reload in case I don't have my Glock on me at the time.

There's the mission guys...Should you decide to accept, I will be awaiting your answers...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

2. Remove Ads

This suggestion isn't really what you are seeking but I don't keep up with many accessories so can't advise. I do know that, if I acquired such a shotgun, I would attempt to find a replacement butt stock and fit it to the gun. Then it would be easy to attach one of the shell holders and the gun would be more practical to use and easier to shoot.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Considering that short of a weapon I don’t know anything that might mount on it. I used to wear an Uncle Mike’s butt stock shellholder on my forearm when hunting with a TC Contender, carried six spare rounds and offered fast reloads.

Uncle Mike's - Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    If i were to have such a weapon, I would have a sling mount installed into the butt of the grip and end of the barrel so as not to interfere with your manipulation of the weapon. I would then buy a blackhawk sling with shotshell holders on it and modify it to fit this weapon that I may or may not have acquired. you also modify it so the extra shells would be in front of you instead of slung behind you. now you have a sling to help manage recoil and about 15 extra shells close at hand with the shottie to reload if need be, you also have a way to carry this weapon that may or may not exist, and have a way to drop it and transition to a pistol without losing the weapon. BTW as far as I know it is not considered an SBS because the length of the barrel is longer than 18 inches, so no need to talk with hypotheticals

edit:

I typed this then a lightning bolt hit me, get one of the side saddle metal shotgun shell holders such as this, http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=410025 . Go to a hardware store with a measurement of the barrel width across both barrels and around the entire area directly in front of the hinge for circumfrence. Get two brackets, have them bent and have the shell holder welded to it. Then weld the whole apperatus in place onto the shotgun barrels. voila, now your shotshell holder is part of the barrel assembly and since it is a hip fire weapon you can have the shells on top for easy access since blocking the sights is not a problem
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

The Uncle Mikes holder gave me an idea. Why couldn't I make a sleeve that slipped OVER the side by side barrels and sew a couple of holders onto the sleeve? Since it's a side held/point and shoot attention getter, sights play no factor, so wouldn't worry about blocking them. I think that would work...What say you all?
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    would work, except everytime you opened the barrel and pointed it down they would slide off. hence why i suggested the metal one being welded to it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

A couple of fat rubber bands aroud the barrle & front stock ; ) Just a suggestion
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Links