I have an interest in altering the length of an old 30.30 I have eg steve mcqueens

This is a discussion on I have an interest in altering the length of an old 30.30 I have eg steve mcqueens within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am trying to find the laws that tell me how short I can go on a rifle and also how to measure the length ...

Thread: I have an interest in altering the length of an old 30.30 I have eg steve mcqueens

Cool I have an interest in altering the length of an old 30.30 I have eg steve mcqueens

I am trying to find the laws that tell me how short I can go on a rifle and also how to measure the length of the barrel.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The minimum is 16 inches measured from the muzzle to the breech face and a minimum length of 26 inches overall..

From the ATF website. http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...appendix-a.pdf

§ 5845 Definitions.

For the purpose of this chapter-
    (a) Firearm. The term 'firearm' means (1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in
    length; (2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than
    26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of
    less than 16 inches in length; (4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall
    length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (5) any other weapon,
    as defined in subsection (e); (6) a machinegun; (7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18,
    United States Code); and (8) a destructive device. The term 'firearm' shall not include an antique firearm
    or any device (other than a machinegun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon,
    the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is
    primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be used as a weapon.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Be careful NOT to violate the 16/26 rules! There are some companies that are making the 'Mare's Leg', but they aren't cutting down RIFLES, they are using NEW receivers that are manufactured as pistols.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

"Be careful NOT to violate the 16/26 rules! There are some companies that are making the 'Mare's Leg', but they aren't cutting down RIFLES, they are using NEW receivers that are manufactured as pistols."

Them's the rules. No matter how obviously foolish they are. Declaring new receivers, of the same design as are commonly used in assembling rifles, as pistols makes it "alright." Voter ignorance sure has placed some nitwits in charge of our nation's lawmaking.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

You could always pay the $200 and make it as short as you like on a Form 1. The guns aren't rare or exceptionally valuable and it's an easy conversion to do, I think it would be worth it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Hank - Have you ever shot a "Mares Leg"? I'm always on the lookout for the ultimate truck-gun, but the sawed-off 30-30 seemed like the worst of both worlds. Too short to shoulder and too heavy to shoot like a pistol. JMHO.

Links