TOZ-106, a product of gun laws

This is a discussion on TOZ-106, a product of gun laws within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As a glossary: ТОЗ reads like TOZ, МЦ reads like MTs. Here, in Russia, we can't buy conventional pistols, but can buy shotguns with barrel ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FileJunkie
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: TOZ-106, a product of gun laws

TOZ-106, a product of gun laws

As a glossary: ТОЗ reads like TOZ, МЦ reads like MTs.

Here, in Russia, we can't buy conventional pistols, but can buy shotguns with barrel or barrel + receiver not shorter than 500mm and total length not less than 800mm. If gun is foldable, it shall not bee able to shoot while being shorter than 800mm.

In late 80's and almost all 90's, after the fall of Soviet Union, there was a rise of crime and people need some firearms to stay alive. (It's not not too safe here now, however, but much, much safer than in early 90's). Gun factories in SU made only single- and double-barrelled break-open shotguns, МЦ-21-12 semi-auto (a clone of Browning Auto-5), and МЦ-20-01, which is a 20Ga bolt-action shotgun.

b_26834mc_20_01.jpg

So, in 90's, factories started to make something new - such as reborn Saiga shotguns, Иж-81 pump-action which was later remade into MP-133 (pretty crappy), Рысь and РБ-12 reverse pump actions (they have moving barrel attached to pump, first one had the magazine over the barrel and was DAO, second one had detachable magazine), and, finally, МЦ-20-08 and ТОЗ-106 shotguns.

МЦ-20-08 is a sawn-off version of МЦ-20-01. 500mm cylinder barrel, no stock.

mc-20-08.jpg

Not very useful. Much more popular gun is ТОЗ-106, that's mine:

x_c364693f.jpg

It has 295mm cylinder barrel, is 530mm long with stock folded (but it can't shoot in this state - the trigger is locked) and 810mm long unfolded. It makes it the shortest legal shotgun on Russian market.

z_f1c27420.jpg

It uses detachable box magazines. Standard magazine are 2-round, 4-round are available but require extensive use of a rasp due to being made by some drunk pupils of alcoholic turner. However, it's possible, with rasp, dremel and such devices to make a 5-round magazine using standard 2-round one and 5-round one from Saiga-20. Maybe it's even possible to make 8-rd and 10-rd one, but I never seen them.

In practice, I use magazines only when I carry it somewhere in my rucksack, just in case. While shooting it on a shooting range, it's much more practical and faster not to use them at all, but to load shells one at a time.

Of course, shooting standard rounds with shot and buckshot is not very good idea because of very limited practical range. It's better to handload them, not use shot cup, but a plain wad instead, and put shot or buckshot in paper or film cylinder.

Shooting slugs, however, is very fun with this gun. I use the cheapest 20ga slug ammo available (Record, usually pretty crappy) and it's possible to shoot at 50 meters in target with the size of human head.

Unfolding stock is extremely simple - just slightly push it down and let it go. Folding is little more difficult - stock must be pulled back and then folded.

And, finally, some humor - that's what happens when you can't have a pistol but really want to

IMG_2731.jpg
    swiftyjuan likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I really like the TO3-106, not sure why, but I do. Thanks for the information, I always find it interesting on gun laws / firearms from other countries.
    Semper Fi

Senior Moderator
    You cant own a Saiga ? They make them there is Russia.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You lost me with the "mm" stuff. 9mm and 10MM I get, but 500mm?
    joker1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I can own a Saiga (it's pretty popular, especially K versions), but it has different purpose as it's much bigger. And I don't really like semi-autos.

500mm is 19.7 inches (minimum barrel or barrel + receiver length), 800mm is 31.5 inches (minimum total length in shootable state), 295mm is 11.6 inches (TOZ-106 barrel length).

So how many more years do you have to go until you're eligible for your pistol license? I was told that in Russia, after you've legally owned a shotgun for 5 years, you could apply to own a pistol. Is that true?
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Interesting stuff OP, makes me appreciate the USA a little more. Nice to know you at least have some options there.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Can you obtain licenses to carry a concealed pistol there? I thought I read a news story (maybe last year) that a lot more people were getting permits to carry concealed pistols in Moscow. Does a pistol permit also include permission to carry it with you?

We can't own conventional pistols, only less-lethal ones. We have one license for all - to own, to buy and to carry. Since July, less-lethal pistols will be bought like shotguns and rifles - first you get license to buy, then you buy a gun, and get permit to carry and own.
    We don't have licenses for concealed carry - if you own a shotgun or rifle as a hunter, you can carry it while hunting or on sport events (or take it anywhere in some case and unloaded), if you own a less-lethal pistol - you can carry it as you like.

5 years are about buying a rifle - if you lawfully own a hunting shotgun for 5 years, you can now buy rifles. I have 2.5 years to go.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    what does a less lethal pistol shoot?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Rubber bullets. There are less-lethal pistols that look like pistols and shoot 0.7-1 gram bullets, and there are barrelless and shoot 12 gram bullets, I told about them there:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...ve-clue-2.html
    English is not my native language and I may sometimes use incorrect terms. Feel free to correct me if you feel like doing it.

Links