Need recommendation for low cost semi auto Home Defense rifle

This is a discussion on Need recommendation for low cost semi auto Home Defense rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a few 22's and a Winchester Model 70 - 30-06, Mossberg 500 - 12 ga, plus a couple hand guns but need a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a few 22's and a Winchester Model 70 - 30-06, Mossberg 500 - 12 ga, plus a couple hand guns but need a low cost home defense semi auto rifle that is legal in Kalifornica. Would like to have suggestions on what to start looking for.
    Last edited by C5A; March 20th, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
    NRA
    Glock 22
    Colt Cobra 38 Spl

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You sure about a rifle? What's the range you need to defend? A shotgun may be a better option. In most case where a rifle is needed, the target is beyond "self-defense" range.

If you're determined it be a rifle, I'd look into an AK47. I don't know CA laws, don't want to be there to find out, so it may or may not fit the legal CA contortions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

AK would be my choice but they are not legal here. FWIW I have been on Tinian. Awe inspiring historical place.
    NRA
    Glock 22
    Colt Cobra 38 Spl

Unconverted Saiga's are Cali legal. Nice little sleeper AK's.

Some places won't sell to your state though.

Youre going to find a ton of yaysayers and a ton of naysayers on home defense weapons. Personally, the AR is MY perfect home defense weapon, but I train on it a few times a week and so on. Search here and m4carbine about using the rifle for defense. You'll see me get damped up in there too, sadly! Then, once you make your INFORMED decision, be sure to get some quality training.

When looking at Colt, look at their LE models like the 6920. Civilian models are 1:9 twist, at least they were, and aren't held to the same specs. I would certainly go lightweight and just maybe a 14.5 with a pinned BattleComp SINCE you're in a ban state. There's no wrong choice in defense for the most part. Some guys swear by shotguns, and though they're not a good choice for me, it doesn't mean I'd be willing to go up against one with my AR. Pick what is right for you. I think we should all own an assortment of guns, though we need to choose based on OUR training what we use for defense, not what sounds good or looks cool, etc. Ballistically, the AR trumps pretty much any handgun along with it's rate of fire, but if you're a handgun champion and never owned a rifle, we know what would be best despite what it says on paper.

Good luck and train hard with whatever you get.

EDIT- I somehow read Colt in the opening post, but I guess I'm completely wrong! Anyway, AK's are a good bit cheaper and a great defensive weapon. Research!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

OD*
    What exactly is a Springfield Model 70?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

is the kaltek 223 kali legal?

BTW, define "low cost"

VIP Member
    SKS all day long.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    My suggestion would be an AK-47 since they are cheap, but since they are not CA legal then your best option is an AR-15 or a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical. The AR-15 is not cheap, so therefore I recommend the Ruger Mini-14.

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Don't know if M-1 carbines are CA legal...if so, it may be a good option.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

While I like my ARs, for most home defense situations I would much rather have a good shotgun.
    Last edited by quietguy; March 21st, 2011 at 06:25 AM.

IIRC AR15's with detachable mags aren't legal in cali,I have a Hipoint 995 9mm carbine with an aftermarket stock that makes it look like a beretta storm the whole setup was about 250.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Not a semi auto, but I really like my Marlin 336 lever gun in .30-30. With a scope, it was less than $500 new. Six in the tube, one in the chamber, and 10 more rounds on the butt cuff. Should settle most things that need settling, other than a firefight with a squad of Taliban. Should be legal in Kalifornia - after all, it's just a deer rifle...nothing to see here...move along...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

What's legal for you to own? I could never make sense of CA laws.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Gotta chime in for a 12ga pump for HD. I even have a nice little Winchester Trapper model 94 in 45LC that would work well. That thing is like throwin' rocks!!

If you have some land and will be taking it outside to defend longer range, then maybe the AR/AK route. Unless of course you just have your heart set on the S/A long gun

Just my 2 cents.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links