harm of not cleaning

harm of not cleaning

This is a discussion on harm of not cleaning within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What possible harm could come from not cleaning my AK-47 rifle. I was wanting to keep it dirty and shoot it until i have failure ...

Thread: harm of not cleaning

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

harm of not cleaning

What possible harm could come from not cleaning my AK-47 rifle. I was wanting to keep it dirty and shoot it until i have failure to feed, eject, etc. so i know what the point of failure is. Is this a bad idea?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    As long as the ammo is non corrosive you're good to go.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Ditto. Sooner or later it's going to jam up from gunk, but it might be a while. Then you'll have to clean it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just call me "OCD" but i believe in cleaning after a few hundred rounds,it makes me feel good knowing that its good to go.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

VIP Member
    Well, it’s certainly not something I would do on purpose, but whatever floats your boat.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I actually enjoy cleaning my guns. I'll be damned if the one time I need to use a gun for self defense and I have a failure because I didn't clean it.

RKM
    Like others said, as long as it's not corrosive, no biggie. I haven't cleaned my AR in awhile, and it's still going strong. every night I think "I should clean my AR", but I'm too lazy. I really should clean it. The AK is a little dirty too, but ehh, oh well. ugh, and then the 1911 is dirty. I hate field stripping 1911 since they're new to me. Weirdly enough, I keep my Hk and Glock sparkling clean, as they're for defensive purposes they MUST work EVERYTIME!

But yeah, you'll be good. It'd be a neat experiment just to see how long it takes :)

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    for those of you that don't like cleaning your guns or might just be too lazy, get a BoreSnake. They make cleaning extremely fast and easy. Cleaning the barrel is generally the most time consuming part for me. BoreSnakes make it go by much quicker.

The other day I cleaned my G26 in less than 10 minutes.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    not to mention its an AK, i bought it in the hopes that i wouldnt have to baby it like i do my handguns
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    Oh...you won't need to baby it. Have you seen some some of the AKs being carted around these days in the Middle East on TV.
    Most look like they have not been cleaned for at least two decades so you might be shooting yours for quite a while before you begin to suffer malfunctions.

Sponsored Links