The Ultimate Combat Shotgun

This is a discussion on The Ultimate Combat Shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is a picture of one of my latest creations. Its a Saiga 12 gage with a few mods. It has the Magpul stock, which ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Combat Shotgun

Senior Moderator

The Ultimate Combat Shotgun

Here is a picture of one of my latest creations. Its a Saiga 12 gage with a few mods. It has the Magpul stock, which I picked out because of all the collapsible stocks it feels like the most secure and I put a Magpul grip on it. Yes I know that they are AR parts, but since this shotgun is going to be my next patrol shotgun, I wanted and adjustable stock that I could shorten up when wearing body armor, or I could lengthen it out for just plain shooting.With the Carolina Shooters trigger guard on it, it can take any grip made for an AR.

Its got the Polychoke breacher choke on it, which normally, I don't like the way they look on regular shotguns, but it looks right at home on the Saiga. Since short barreled shotguns have useless patterns at 20-25 yards, this allows me to do whatever needs to be done. It runs the full spectrum from slug to full and it shoots a remarkably tight pattern at 40 yards on the 2x full. It also does very well with issued double ought buck, throwing an excellent pattern.

I settled on an 11.5 inch barrel for two a couple of reasons. Having shot both an 8"and a 10" inch, the 8 just feels too short to me and that blast is close enough to your face to be distracting. The 10" just looks out of balance to me. The 11.5 with the Polychoke on it seems to be the best of all worlds. It balances well and it's still short enough to not be an issue in close quarters as well as be short enough to carry in a vehicle without any issue.

Also, the 11.5 length is about as short as you can go without having to mess with shortening the gas tube which is a lot of work for not much gain. This picture has the 8 round magazine which I like the best for balance and looks. I have several 10 rounders but they look a bit long on it. You can get 12 round mags and even 20 or 30 round drums which would make it a serious tool for SHTF situations.

I haven't found a suitable forearm yet, so I just milled some slots in the one that came with it. It seems to work well and I don't plan on hanging a bunch of stuff on it anyway, I prefer to keep this one simple.

For a shotgun that can shoot 5 to 6 rounds per second, and with the rapid reload capability of magazines, it puts all other shotguns to shame. I may do another in Olive Drab with black furniture just because.

What do you think? This thing grows on me more every time I shoot it.

Sorry about the cheap cell phone picture. My digital camera of several years finally died of old age.

QKShooter likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Very nice....I dont think I would waste time buying a Saiga without making it an SBS. Very nice indeed, and yes you do need some drums on it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Nice job there HotGuns! That is one deadly looking shotgun! How does she balance?
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

Looks great guy. That 11.5" barrel is sweet...not too long or too short. You guys that have the SBS's are indeed fortunate. Bet the balance is great.

I dig the Magpul stock on my S12. It's very stout and has a clean look to it. Those AR grip trigger guards make sense for those of you familiar with the AR's.

The vents on the factory hand guard look good too.

Enjoy your new little beast.

VIP Member
    The title of the thread says it all. 'Very nice!

VIP Member
    Looks great, I have one too, but it's not jazzed up like yours.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

GM
    Holy smoke HotGuns! That was a very sharp looking shotgun! It is obvious that you know very well what you are doing
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Things that make you say "Whooossss yer Daddddiiiiiiii"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sweet of course, I love Siaga shotguns. One is definitely on the list of must haves. Any plans to add some sights maybe a red dot and a light? Are quad rails available for it? Maybe add something like a MAKO or surefire foregrip that you can add a light to.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Very sweet - what is the rule on barrel length? I thought I was stuck with 18"

WOW, Very Nice HotGuns

How does the Class III paperwork work? Is it registered to you or your department?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Senior Moderator
    It is a short barreled shotgun. As an 07 FFL with a SOT, I can legally make suppressors,SBR's,SBS's and integrally suppressed rifles. Although I do it on the side, apart from my other two jobs, it pays very,very well.

Manufacturers with SOTs don't have to pay a tax on each item that they make. We have to send a notice to the ATF of what we have made, then when that item is sold the buyer pays the 200 transfer fee. I can keep it without paying, that is covered in the 500 fee that I pay each year to the ATF for the Special Occupational Tax,also known as SOT.

IF short barrel shotguns and rifles are legal in your state, it's just a matter of filling out the forms, submitting the 200 transfer tax to the ATF and then waiting on the paper work for approval. Once you get it in the mail, you pick up the gun,rifle,suppressor and you are good to go. Its not as big a deal as most people make it out to be.

They are lots of fun to play with.

Any plans to add some sights maybe a red dot and a light? Are quad rails available for it? Maybe add something like a MAKO or surefire foregrip that you can add a light to.
    Quad rails are available and virtually anything can be stuck on them. Some put lights, lasers, red dots, but I probably wont, I beleive in the KISS option.
    The beauty of the Saigas is that one can customize it to virtually any way they want it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Looks nice...but I'd hate to have to fire that thing from the prone position...that is one loooong magazine!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    The 8 rounder isn't a whole lot longer than a 30 round AK mag.

You want to see a loooooong mag, take a look at the 12 rounder. That's long !

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links