Any Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Owners??

This is a discussion on Any Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Owners?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, I did search a little on the subject and found a thread back around the begining of this new year on this rifle, but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Any Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Owners??

Any Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Owners??

Okay, I did search a little on the subject and found a thread back around the begining of this new year on this rifle, but little feedback on any owners of the gun, since it was such a new release.

Well here we are about 3 months into the new year and was wondering if any owners could give some feedback on this rifle. I am finding them well under the MSRP, btw.

For those that are unfamiliar, here some intel for review;

Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle Models

Ruger’s New Gunsite Scout 308 Bolt-Action Rifle

Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle Extras

I am not a big fan of the AR platform or the .223 caliber for that matter. I did buy one last year and have been very disappointed in it. This Ruger would be more to fitting my niche.

Thanks in advance!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

2. Remove Ads

I would buy one in a second if it used M1A or FAL mags. At better than $50 for a 10 rounder, I will pass.

VIP Member
    I think it looks cool. Other than that it is an overpriced Ruger Compact Rifle. I paid $450 for one last year for my son. What does it do for the extra $400 to $500?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I almost bought one when I went to the range tonight. I think it is an interesting concept. I have wanted a Steyr Scout Rifle for a long time but the price sort of threw me off. I am not crazy about the magazines I just have trouble finding a bolt action .308 with open sights on it.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

This is one of those times when someone of fame, the late great Jeff Cooper, was able to use his position to promote a personal like and make everyone think it had alot of great uses. This is one of those times when I had to break rank with the great gunners guru.
    In his ideaology is was a great medium powered, medium to close range weapon concept designed for accurate snap shooting techniques, of which, both eyes could readily be kept open to enhance the field of view on moving targets. To facilitate this , this scope was a low powered , long eye relief, mounted forward of the reciever. A properly set up rifle HAD TO HAVE, iron back up sights. This was a requirement, as perscribed by Col. Cooper.

Yes its a neat idea, and a cool looking gun.

Problem is, if you think for yourself, a carbine lever gun set up with a compact low powered scope, or a self loading carbine with an electronic site works just as well and saves you much $$$.

Also, aperature sites mounted on any rifle will serve quite well, allowing both eyes to be open, thereby increasing the field of view for hitting moving targets, and have been in use for many years.
    Old School, Cuda66 and bmcgilvray like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think it looks cool. Other than that it is an overpriced Ruger Compact Rifle. I paid $450 for one last year for my son. What does it do for the extra $400 to $500?
    What model would that be? I have read they did a lot of research/brain crunching between Ruger and the folks at Gunsite when they put this rifle together. A short barreled rifle with this kind of accuracy, knock down power and of course the weight, man what's not to like?? As I said I have been seeing them in the $700 neighborhood.

Here's something from the Ruger forum I found last night;

Gunsite/Ruger Scout Rifle - gunwriters' review - Ruger Forum

Note the comments about the mags here and Ruger has a 20 rnd polymer mag that as much cheaper.

For me at least, I have an AR sitting in my safe that I have about a grand into and collects dust, plus 5K rnds of ammo. Drives me nuts I fell into the AR "gotta-have" trend. I have no quams about selling her for a rifle like this, that I would be more inclined to use through out the seasons. Keep in mind here in PA, we cannot hunt with a semi-auto.

Oops! Just found this on the rifle too;

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/revie..._m77-gs_p1.php
    Last edited by Fastball; March 24th, 2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Found another link

I have one.

The rifle is a tack-driver that one can do well with. What I like about the rifle is it's versatility. From it's adjustable legnth of pull, to the vision mounting options. I find this to be a well thought out rifle that can serve many roles, and quite well I might add. Is it a Scout as defind by the late Col Cooper? Nope, according to some, but I don't much care about that. He put the concept in to play, and Ruger fielded it in a manner that will appeal to consumers.

For Bear Season I plan to have a red dot optic on this rifle, forward mount. Then, for deer season I will use a traditional scope set up. Thank you Ruger for including the scope rings with your rifle. That's a nice touch that saves a dollar or two, an important feature in this economy. The iron sights are robust, and combined with the barrel, very accurate. In my opinion this is one rifle that does very well at performing a variety of task.

The bolt throw gets smoother as one works it. It had some rough spots when first taken out of the box that have smoothed up quite nicely after working the bolt. If I was inclined, and I'm not, I could've paid a gunsmith to work these spots off the bolt with a little judicious sanding. I'm of the school of thought that 1,000 bolt throws will do what ten minutes with a piece of sandpaper will do. The barrel is quite accurate, with only a slight nod going to the Savage rifles for accuracy out of the box. It's so slight that unless you are shooting five rounds in the same hole at 100 Yards you won't notice it. It is entirely possible to get 1/2 MOA out of this rifle with the right handload.

The downside to this rifle is the midship rudder that Ruger calls a magazine. At over $50 each I won't be buying a lot of them, but then I shouldn't need a lot of them for hunting. It comes with a 10 Round magazine, that I use as a "spare". I use the 5 Round magazine as my hunting magazine. I understand why Ruger used a single stack magazine, and I don't fault them for that. Reliability is paramount after all. The greatest rifle in the world is useful for nothing more than a club if it is not reliable, IMHO.

The trigger is acceptable, with no creep or grittiness. My sample gives a clean break that is wearing in to what I consider an acceptable non-modified hunting rifle trigger. Combined with the accuracy this rifle displays, I am impressed. It's versatility is well thought out and implemented. The Flash Suppresor, you can take it or leave it. It is easily removed, and a cap installed to protect the threads if one desires. Me, I like it as I think it has some recoil reducing properties as well. I could be wrong about that, but I'm not so sure I am. The recoil pad is the finest I have found on any stock rifle, and wish other manufacturers would include it on their rifles.

If it sounds like I have become a fan of this rifle, you're right. At the present time I only own one bolt action rifle for hunting, and the Ruger Gunsite Scout is it. I think that should say something to those of you considering one. It is not a "Battle Rifle" but rather a rifle that can fulfill a lot of roles while specializing in no one particular role, and do that very well.

Biker

Thanks for that review Biker!

I noticed you had a post on the Ruger thread and was hoping you would chime in.

I'm really trying to find one locally to "fondle", but have just missed 2 of them. Going to hit 2 other shops today.

I've never bought into the concept of the scout rifle either. There's nothing wrong with it but lots of good sporter rifles can duplicate its capabilities without adhering to the good Colonel's inspiration as rigidly as some scout rifle fans are prone to do.

I'd think more of the Ruger effort if it utilized "standard" magazines and didn't have that abomination of a flash hider hanging off the front of it as a styling exercise. Most will probably like the flash hider but it is an offense to the eye in my view.

Ruger makes a keen little short-barreled model 77 variant that accomplishes most light rifle tasks for far less money. This one in .308 has wormed its way in to a shooting bud's affections as a deer getter over the past two years.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Problem is, if you think for yourself, a carbine lever gun set up with a compact low powered scope, or a self loading carbine with an electronic site works just as well and saves you much $$$.
    And he said as much in his commentaries, plus, he never took sole credit for the scout rifle concept, he gave credit to the German's of WWII (the forward mounted optic).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Fastball, if you are seeing them priced around $700 then I would say it's not so bad. My original post was based on MSRP and you posted a price about $250 less than I thought it would cost.

Pros: It looks cool and is unique. Your friends will be jealous. The mag is a nice feature. Ruger includes standard rings, a rail and iron sights so you have lots of options. Ruger makes a tough, strong product that will go bang for the rest of your lifetime.

Cons: Price/value is a little off ( though less "off" than I first thought). Mags are proprietary and expensive (but you really don't need too many with a bolt gun). It's probably a little heavier than a comparably sized sporter. If you need a gun that shoots fast you're screwed.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you need a gun that shoots fast you're screwed.
    Now if a guy were to build on a Lee-Enfield No 5 Mk I (Jungle Carbine), you'd have an ubber fast bolt gun, as fast as an auto, no, but one of the fastest bolt guns made.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Now if a guy were to build on a Lee-Enfield No 5 Mk I (Jungle Carbine), you'd have an ubber fast bolt gun, as fast as an auto, no, but one of the fastest bolt guns made.
    I had one of the old Ishapore .308 Enfields and I think the look of it was super cool. I could never love that cock on closing type bolt though, it just never felt normal to me. I guess it's all in what you are used too.

I thought about getting one, but ended up with a Marlin 336 package lever gun in .30-30...less than $500 with mounted scope. I cannot see farther than 200 yards in my area, so no need to spend more for a .308.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Found 1 today calling around and he's known for being a bit high on his prices. $816 plus all the fees/taxes.

He's a bit of a haul from me too, but I may just pick a day when it's nice weather and take a ride up on the bike, just to "fondle" it and make sure it's everything I'm drooling over.

I did find another place a bit closer to home and he said he's been getting them every now and then. He's expecting 2 in the coming weeks. $750 plus fees/tax.

No to mention I'm watching a few on GunBroker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links