M1 carbine or garand?

This is a discussion on M1 carbine or garand? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm getting ready to start saving for my next gun. I am thinking of getting one of these guns. No particular reason. Would probably just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: M1 carbine or garand?

M1 carbine or garand?

I'm getting ready to start saving for my next gun. I am thinking of getting one of these guns. No particular reason. Would probably just be taking it to the range.

Which would you choose? Carbine or Garand?

2. Remove Ads

tough call.. i love my carbine, and i can shoot it at an indoor range as well. its a handy little rifle. both are great, but fill different niches. there is something satisfying about the clang of the empty clip being expelled from a garand tho!

CMP GARAND BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG TING

After that, you get an M1A and a M1 Carbine.

Every American needs a 30 caliber battle rifle
    rhinokrk and joker1 like this.
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    garand, best rifle ever made in my opinion
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Tough choice, but I'd give the nod to the Garand.... first. Then as soon as you can, get a carbine!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    I love em both.

The only advantage that the Garand will have (not counting ballistics) is the fact that '06 ammo can be had just about anywhere.

30 Carbine, not so much.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If you qualify for the CMP program, I'd go with a Garand, as they have those last time I checked, but didn't have any carbines.

Really both are amazing weapons I would like to own, and if you are fulfilling a want, and not a needed role in your arsenal, I'd go with whatever you find a better deal on.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Garand and a new .30 caliber bullet mold. Gotta have something to shoot in it.....

VIP Member
    Garand first then the Carbine, and go with the CMP for the best price on the Garand.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Garand! Man I want one of those...
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I've always been a huge fan of the Garand, I honestly think I'd go for the carbine first. I've got an -06 already, and this old shoulder would appreciate the lighter recoil of the carbine. I reload the majority of my ammo, so availability wouldn't be a big issue.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have long been a fan of the .30 M1 Carbine, I have one but not an original, it is made by Univerasal Arms. I would like to have another but one closer to an original.

If given the chance, I'd go for the the Carbine first, then the Garand.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

When I do buy it will be through the CMP. They are only an hour away. Plus, I'm up that way a lot during the summer. Won't be hard to drive 20 minutes and pick one up.

The M1 is my very favorite rifle and the one I'd keep if I was limited to only one rifle. Due partially to participation in high-power competition I've fired this M1 more than any other centerfire rifle I've ever owned. It has always been dependable. It came to me back in the mid 1980s from the DCM, the CMP's predecessor.

This M1 is from 6-44, was likely rebuilt at war's end with updated rear sight configuration and then stored until it shipped to me.

The M1 Carbine is a lot of fun. It's handy too, for home defense situations in cramped hallways or stairwells. A Carbine loaded with 110 grain soft points is way more vicious than most think. A great gun for vehicle use, it's maneuverable inside the passenger compartment. I've taken lots of various Texas varmints and critters with the M1 Carbine over the years and they go down for the count when fairly hit, even when full metal jacket bullets are used. The Carbine is pleasant for range use and for plinking.

A 10-43 Underwood production Carbine with type II rear sight installed. Could have been a wartime sight upgrade or could have been post-war.

Both are really reliable and trouble-free in operation. Parts are endlessly available if ever required and the designs are easy to figure out if one ever needs to work on them. I take both of these rifles more seriously than I do my AR 15.
    oneshot likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    I have been to the CMP store in Anniston, not only Garands and Carbines but they had 1903 Springfields and Krags just in insufficient quantities to post online. Also download the forms and instructions and fill them out before you go and don’t forget to take your birth certificate or passport with you.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links