Tactical .308 - Page 2

Tactical .308

This is a discussion on Tactical .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 Buckeye, Thanks for the info - I thought the FNAR would take a different mag than the FN/FAL's, but I wasn't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tactical .308

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Buckeye,

Thanks for the info - I thought the FNAR would take a different mag than the FN/FAL's, but I wasn't really sure...

Your post brought up another question, though - Although I'm leaning real hard towards either the FNAR or a SOCOM, the Saiga looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Since it appears to be basically an AK on steroids, do you happen to know if it shares mags with the FN/FAL platform? TIA

Regards,
    Jim
    As far as I am aware, the Saiga can not take FAL magazines, but that is just from a quick google search.

On reason I keep bringing up mags though, is because in my mind, if I am going to buy a semi auto rifle that may see SHTF/HD/training class/competition use, I am going to think of the price of 6-8 magazines I am going to buy for it as part of the price of the weapon. So, for like the FNAR, a quick search shows 20 rounders running around 50 bucks, so that is an extra $3-400 on the price. Surplus mags that could be used in an M1a are about half the price. But that is just for me personally, for a semi-auto handgun that I carry, I think 3 magazines is the minimum, and 5 is a lot better, in case any start to have issues. For a rifle, 6-8. Also something to consider, is aftermarket support, which is more in place for the M1a, FAL, and H&K 91 clones, than for the FNAR. But if you want the FNAR, it is your money to use as you please.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    As far as I am aware, the Saiga can not take FAL magazines, but that is just from a quick google search.

On reason I keep bringing up mags though, is because in my mind, if I am going to buy a semi auto rifle that may see SHTF/HD/training class/competition use, I am going to think of the price of 6-8 magazines I am going to buy for it as part of the price of the weapon. So, for like the FNAR, a quick search shows 20 rounders running around 50 bucks, so that is an extra $3-400 on the price. Surplus mags that could be used in an M1a are about half the price. But that is just for me personally, for a semi-auto handgun that I carry, I think 3 magazines is the minimum, and 5 is a lot better, in case any start to have issues. For a rifle, 6-8. Also something to consider, is aftermarket support, which is more in place for the M1a, FAL, and H&K 91 clones, than for the FNAR. But if you want the FNAR, it is your money to use as you please.
    We're on exactly the same page here - that's why I'm asking the questions.

Regards,
    Jim

RKM
    When I think tactical .308 I think of SCAR-H and Hk417.

Which reminds me, I need a .308, but I want a bolt action .308

DPMS Panther 7.62Nato Oracle.
    Works for me anyway.
    Got it for under a grand.
    Shoots either .308 or 7.62x51 Nato rounds.
    Attached Images

I have toyed with the idea of a M1A SOCOM 16 for a few years now. Or the M1A Scout Squad with the slightly longer 18 inch barrel but never pulled the trigger on getting one yet.

I have an FN/FAL I got when Bill Clinton was in office and it's a real tack driver. I've considered trading or selling to help with the purchase of the M1A, but also hate to get rid of such a proven gun which shoots so well.

Then Ruger came out with their new Gunsite Scout and I'm really thinking hard on that one as well.

I know the dilemma you are in. Good luck in your quest.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If I was looking for a .308 caliber battle rifle, I'd look no further than the FN/FAL.

As to the new Ruger Gunsite Scout, it's a great Practical Rifle. See me after bear and deer season and I'll let you know how it performs.

Biker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links