Tactical .308 - Page 2

Tactical .308

This is a discussion on Tactical .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 Buckeye, Thanks for the info - I thought the FNAR would take a different mag than the FN/FAL's, but I wasn't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Tactical .308

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Buckeye,

Thanks for the info - I thought the FNAR would take a different mag than the FN/FAL's, but I wasn't really sure...

Your post brought up another question, though - Although I'm leaning real hard towards either the FNAR or a SOCOM, the Saiga looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Since it appears to be basically an AK on steroids, do you happen to know if it shares mags with the FN/FAL platform? TIA

Regards,
    Jim
    As far as I am aware, the Saiga can not take FAL magazines, but that is just from a quick google search.

On reason I keep bringing up mags though, is because in my mind, if I am going to buy a semi auto rifle that may see SHTF/HD/training class/competition use, I am going to think of the price of 6-8 magazines I am going to buy for it as part of the price of the weapon. So, for like the FNAR, a quick search shows 20 rounders running around 50 bucks, so that is an extra $3-400 on the price. Surplus mags that could be used in an M1a are about half the price. But that is just for me personally, for a semi-auto handgun that I carry, I think 3 magazines is the minimum, and 5 is a lot better, in case any start to have issues. For a rifle, 6-8. Also something to consider, is aftermarket support, which is more in place for the M1a, FAL, and H&K 91 clones, than for the FNAR. But if you want the FNAR, it is your money to use as you please.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    As far as I am aware, the Saiga can not take FAL magazines, but that is just from a quick google search.

On reason I keep bringing up mags though, is because in my mind, if I am going to buy a semi auto rifle that may see SHTF/HD/training class/competition use, I am going to think of the price of 6-8 magazines I am going to buy for it as part of the price of the weapon. So, for like the FNAR, a quick search shows 20 rounders running around 50 bucks, so that is an extra $3-400 on the price. Surplus mags that could be used in an M1a are about half the price. But that is just for me personally, for a semi-auto handgun that I carry, I think 3 magazines is the minimum, and 5 is a lot better, in case any start to have issues. For a rifle, 6-8. Also something to consider, is aftermarket support, which is more in place for the M1a, FAL, and H&K 91 clones, than for the FNAR. But if you want the FNAR, it is your money to use as you please.
    We're on exactly the same page here - that's why I'm asking the questions.

Regards,
    Jim

RKM
    When I think tactical .308 I think of SCAR-H and Hk417.

Which reminds me, I need a .308, but I want a bolt action .308

DPMS Panther 7.62Nato Oracle.
    Works for me anyway.
    Got it for under a grand.
    Shoots either .308 or 7.62x51 Nato rounds.
    Attached Images

I have toyed with the idea of a M1A SOCOM 16 for a few years now. Or the M1A Scout Squad with the slightly longer 18 inch barrel but never pulled the trigger on getting one yet.

I have an FN/FAL I got when Bill Clinton was in office and it's a real tack driver. I've considered trading or selling to help with the purchase of the M1A, but also hate to get rid of such a proven gun which shoots so well.

Then Ruger came out with their new Gunsite Scout and I'm really thinking hard on that one as well.

I know the dilemma you are in. Good luck in your quest.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If I was looking for a .308 caliber battle rifle, I'd look no further than the FN/FAL.

As to the new Ruger Gunsite Scout, it's a great Practical Rifle. See me after bear and deer season and I'll let you know how it performs.

Biker

I prefer and recommend the Rock River LAR 8 (AR-10) Operator. Much better battle rifle than the SOCOM II.

VIP Member
    This thread is from April of 2011.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member
    And yet it lives. I want one.

(Echo?)
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

FWIW - I bought the FNAR and I'm REALLY pleased with it! My LGS guy gave me an extra mag with it, and I've since bought 6 more, so even though it's a proprietary mag, I'm pretty well set.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Mine is a PTR91K. Accurate, reliable, with the cheapest mags I've ever seen. Requires a special tool to set the iron sights, but once set they are rock solid. Need to find a good scope (and scope mount) for it. Very solid piece.

After seeing it resurrected, I was interested in knowing how this thread shook out for you with that rifle quest.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

And how the .308 world has changed since 2011.

The AR10 is becoming very popular, and just about every manufacturer is coming out with their own versions. Unfortunately there is no uniform standard like the AR15/M4 clones so you have to be very careful about picking and choosing different parts.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links