Tactical .308

This is a discussion on Tactical .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, I'm really thinking I'd like to add a tactical .308 to my safe, and would appreciate any insights from those in the know. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Tactical .308

Tactical .308

Hi All,

I'm really thinking I'd like to add a tactical .308 to my safe, and would appreciate any insights from those in the know. I want a decent gun, but don't want to take out a 2nd mortgage for it.

I've been looking real hard at the FNAR, and I sure like it, but wonder if I'd be better off sticking with a 'true' AR10 platform for magazine availability, etc. Anyone have any particularly good (or bad) experiences with certain AR10's? Anyone got an FNAR they want to talk about? Or is there another .308 variant that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

By "Tactical .308", do you mean a semi-auto battle rifle in .308?

If so, your main options are the M1A, AR-10 variants, FN FAL's and H&K 91/G-3 variants/clones.

Also take a look at the Saiga in .308. Try to find something that uses a standard magazine type, instead of something proprietary to one platform.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

If you're not set on a semi-automatic, a fellow forum member has a sweet Remington .308
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I also think you might want to check out the M1A line. They even make a 16" model, I think it's called the SOCOM or something. I have the standard M-14 style one and it is awesome.

I went through a similar thought process a few months ago. I bought a .308 AR Remington and had to send it back for some work. I then starting thinking about a caliber that would fit the smaller and lighter AR15 platform and settled on the 6.8 SPC. This cartridge falls between the .223 and the .308 with ballistics and is nice and light to carry. Great hunting round as well.

12 Gauge
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Have you looked at HK91's (or the PTR-91 clones) or FAL's?
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

IMO this is the best of all worlds in a tacticool .308. Not too big, check. not too small, check, proven platform, check. lots of parts and accessories available...check.

Springfield Armory M1A Socom 16 Green AA9625 CA OK : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    IMO this is the best of all worlds in a tacticool .308. Not too big, check. not too small, check, proven platform, check. lots of parts and accessories available...check.

Nice rifles... gotta dress 'em up a little though to make 'em tacticool...

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

You could buy the AR-10 super sass but for that price might as well buy the SR-25

mkh
    If I buy another .308 it will be on the AR platform. My current .308 is a FN/FAL and I've kept it pretty much stock with the exception of adding a scope.

I've had opportunity to play with CETMEs, H&K 91s, FN/FALs, and AR 10s but the M1A still gets the vote. The FAL is the only other out of the bunch that impresses.

oneshot likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks, fellows, for the comments!

That SOCOM is SWEET! It's right at the upper end of what I wanted to pay, but looks like it might be worth saving up for, and I really do prefer something a little smaller than a full-sized M1A.

I am very partial to the FNAR, but not being real familiar with the breed, I don't know for sure if it's compatible with the FN/FAL mags & such (?). And yes, I'm pretty set on a semi-auto in .308/7.62 NATO for the sake of ammo availability & price. Already have a few 7.62x39's for lower-powered action.

Right now, I seem to be on the fence between the FNAR and the SOCOM, but I'm still looking around.

Please keeps those thoughts coming!

Best regards,
    Jim
    Last edited by Kilowatt3; March 29th, 2011 at 10:14 PM.

It would appear to me that the FAL magazines would not be interchangeable with the FNAR, as the FNAR magazines slide in and have a mag release similar to an AR, while the FAL the FAL goes with a more "European" magazine system more akin to the Ak-47.

So your FNAR would run off proprietary magazines. The SOCOM runs of M-14 style magazines, which would probably be cheaper and easier to find, if that makes a difference to you.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post

If it were my money, this is what I'd buy.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    It would appear to me that the FAL magazines would not be interchangeable with the FNAR, as the FNAR magazines slide in and have a mag release similar to an AR, while the FAL the FAL goes with a more "European" magazine system more akin to the Ak-47.

So your FNAR would run off proprietary magazines. The SOCOM runs of M-14 style magazines, which would probably be cheaper and easier to find, if that makes a difference to you.
    Buckeye,

Thanks for the info - I thought the FNAR would take a different mag than the FN/FAL's, but I wasn't really sure...

Your post brought up another question, though - Although I'm leaning real hard towards either the FNAR or a SOCOM, the Saiga looks like a lot of bang for the buck. Since it appears to be basically an AK on steroids, do you happen to know if it shares mags with the FN/FAL platform? TIA

Regards,
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links