The Blackout

The Blackout

This is a discussion on The Blackout within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been working on a rifle with the one of the latest cartridges to hit the firearms scene, its known as the .300 Blackout . ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By HotGuns

Thread: The Blackout

Senior Moderator

The Blackout

I've been working on a rifle with the one of the latest cartridges to hit the firearms scene, its known as the .300 Blackout.

But first, a bit of history...

Created by Advance Armament Corp.(AAC) its really just a standardized version of the .300 Whisper created by JD Jones in the early 80's. Since JD Jones owned the patent, there just wasn't a whole lot of people interested in it other than the military which used it to great effect. It was designed from the ground up to be a suppressed rifle using the heaviest bullet with the best ballistic coefficient, in this case the 240 and 220 grain Sierra Boatail Match Hollow-point. It has better range and penetration capability's and it was pretty quiet...quiet enough that often the loudest sound came from the bullet striking the target.

Reamers and head space gages were hard to get and they were expensive. If you didn't reload, you only had one place to buy ammo.

Even so, it was too good a cartridge to die. To get around patent infringements, the .30-221, and the .300 Fireball were created. These were basically the same cartridge, and reamers and head-space gages became available. Hornady started making dies for reloads and it soon caught on as people recognized the fact that it was the hardest hitting bullet out there with the most quietness.

The main problem with this approach was that there were no set specifications as to standards. Most cartridges go by SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute) standards so that all die makers and case makers were on the same page, but this one didn't. Case lengths varied from 1.350 to 1.400 and everything in between, what might fit in one gun might not fit in another.

AAC came along and made it a standard. They submitted to specs to SAAMI and they approved it. AAC made a great marketing move here and they didn't patent it. This allowed any gunsmith, any company, any one that wanted to the ability to buy reamers,head-space gages and barrels. Since AAC is a big hitter in the Silencer Industry, they marketed this as a cartridge that was made to be suppressed.

The guys at Remington were impressed and they agreed to market ammo for it. As many know, that was a major step in helping the cartridge to be successful. No longer did one have to reload, and even Walmart had the ammo on the shelves.

The beauty of this round and lots of guns that are chambered in it, is that it can function as a multipurpose gun. It serves quite well with 150 grain bullets traveling at supersonic speeds to make it a serious caliber for both man or beast. In the subsonic mode, the 220 grain bullets moving at around 1050 FPS meant that it could be suppressed easily. It was just a matter of picking the cartridge for the job at hand. Got a sentry to take out? Use the subsonic and make it nice and quiet like. Got an insurgent driving toward you? Use the supersonic and light it up. The cartridge itself can fit in a standard AR magazine and one only needs to change the upper on any AR to make it work. Pop out two pins, change uppers and pop the pins back in, in less time than it took to explain it.

The concept was good enough that many companies jumped on the bandwagon and started producing both AR uppers and rifle barrels for it. In fact, they were flying off the shelfs and are still in demand.They can be had in any length and in any style.

This gun is a 9 inch upper on a Bushmaster lower. Since I am a fan of the Magpul stock because it locks up tighter than a Mil-spec collapsible, I went with it as well as the Magpul grip which just feels better in my hand. Its got a free floated hand guard and the trigger has been slicked up. Right now it has a cheapo red dot on it, but it was good enough to prove that the accuracy of this gun is more than adequate. With a good scope and some tailored hand-loads, it would be even better. The more I shoot this gun, the more I like it. The 9 incher is easy to hang on a sling, very easy to get in and out of a vehicle with and it is light enough to be carried all day and barely be noticed.

My next project is to build an integral suppressor for it that can use the existing hand guard as test and development for a company that is looking to market them.
    More to come on that later.

Here is a picture. So far, I'm delighted with the gun. I may even try to whack a deer with it in the upcoming season.

Here is a cell phone pic. My apology's for that, I haven't got a new camera yet.

Disclaimer: Dont try putting a "Short Barrel Upper" on an AR unless you have the proper tax stamp. As an 07/02 Manufacturer, it is legal for me to do so. Without the proper paperwork the ATF can ruin your life.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Very, very cool.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

And it goes all the way on the selector switch?

I wouldn't mind having one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Who cares what or how it shoots- that just looks cool.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nice write up, and nice SBR, too
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I love it. Also thanks for the history
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Lead Moderator
    Nice looking build and very interesting back story .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've been working on a rifle... known as the .300 Blackout.

Created by Advance Armament Corp.(AAC) its really just a standardized version of the .300 Whisper created by JD Jones in the early 80's.
    So are the .300 Whisper and .300 Blackout interchangeable?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Moderator
    So are the .300 Whisper and .300 Blackout interchangeable?
    For the most part.
    Although most manufacturers don't recommend it, just to cover their backsides.

I actually have an upper marked .30-221, a Remington 700 that I built with a .300 Whisper reamer and a Thompson Center Contender barrel from the T/C custom shop that is marked .300 Whisper.
    The .300 Blackout cartridge fits and fires in all of them quite well.

If you look that the cartridge length for the .300 Blackout, its 1.365 plus or minus 20 thousanths...just to make it more compatible with whats already out there.
    That was another good move on AAC's part.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Great looking rifle...sweeeeeeeeeet!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Some day I may cough up the money for the SBR tax stamp,How many rounds can you get in a standard 30 round mag
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Very Cool. Just when I thought I wanted something else...
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    How many rounds can you get in a standard 30 round mag

The Blackout,like the rest of the others like it, is jsut a .223 case cut off at the neck and sized down to .30 cal. The cases are easy to make.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Sponsored Links