DM type rifle?

DM type rifle?

This is a discussion on DM type rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK gurus I was thinking about getting a long range AR to fill the designated marksman type role. I want to stay with the same ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: DM type rifle?

VIP Member

DM type rifle?

OK gurus I was thinking about getting a long range AR to fill the designated marksman type role. I want to stay with the same ammo and mags that I already have so let's keep this conversation to AR15s in 5.56 X 45 please.

I was thinking about one of these and I would like some feedback on the idea please.

Smith & Wesson 10 + 1 Round 5.56mm w/20" Barrel & A2 Buttsto $1,170.00 SHIPS FREE
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    HA! I just noticed that I started this thread at 5:56 PM.
    oneshot likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Administrator
    It will be a good rifle, but remember you'll be spending just as much for good glass to reach its potential.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Have you thought about the Colt MT6700C? I have one and it has a detachable handle so you can mount whatever you want up there. I'm very happy with mine. Looks like it goes for $100 less than the S&W too, and still chambered 5.56X45. Just a thought...

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

I happen to know a fair bit about DM doctrine and weapons Timmy, so I'll throw some of it out there.

Mk 12 Special Purpose Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The Mark 12 is what our boys use for that role in the Corps, if I was going to build one, I would use the Mark 12 as the goal of what I want. I don't think you need a suppressor, they are handy in country, but you probably don't need it for your purposes. About an 18 inch free floated barrel, rifled to use heavier weight bullers, the 77gr (mk262) stuff is pretty great.

Ours have Leupold 3.5-10x40 scopes, I forget the exact model. But they have an illumination feature, so for close work they would get dialed all the way down with the red dot visible, and used similarly to an ACOG, for distance, it was different. The biggest thing I would have changed on ours are the stocks. Since Marine ones are built on A1 lowers, they still use A1 buttstocks, I would of put something else on that end, but maybe that is just me.

Hope that helps you a little bit, if you have questions let me know, and I will try to get you answers.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Realistically what type of effective range would we be talking with a rifle like this (assuming good glass and a good shooter)?

DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

just buy or build the upper if u allready have a lower... no need for a new gun

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Realistically what type of effective range would we be talking with a rifle like this (assuming good glass and a good shooter)?
    With the heavier bullets, 6-800 meters, depending on the shooter.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It will be a good rifle, but remember you'll be spending just as much for good glass to reach its potential.
    The worst part about a good accurate rifle to do any serious work with is the money you have to spend on glass.

Armalite AR-15 Target STNLS 15A4 TBN AR15 223 -NIB : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I have this, though (as you can see) in Flat Dark Earth (aka tan). http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...since=&status=

It is pretty much ideal for an SPR/DMR, in my opinion, and it will outshoot me any day of the week. I've only ever been able to shoot it for accuracy to 500m, and with the right ammo (it likes the 77gr OTM Mk 262) I could hold 1 MOA groups to that distance when I was doing my part. It was pricey, but it is an awesome rifle.

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Holy crap OPFOR! That price is waaaay out of my league.

I have a wife and three kids. I need to squeeze every nickel until it bleeds.

VIP Member
    Baghdad money. Plus, I got a mil/LEO discount. Plus, it was a special run and was slightly less expensive two years ago when I bought it. Plus....ah, who am I kidding, the dang thing is expensive. :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

That Noveske is sweet, I didn't buy anything that awesome with my deployment money, but seeing that is makes me wish I had.

I want one.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

VIP Member
    Noveske makes you pay for the name, but the name actually means something - at least in my experience. If (ahem, when) I go back to A/I/P and start making mad money again, another one is on my short list. Hotguns' thread on the .300 Blackout has me looking at this:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...since=&status=

Certainly not a DMR, but pretty friggin' sweet.

VIP Member
    OK guys, here are a few things in my pricerange. I'd like to hear opinions, pros and cons of these:

Smith & Wesson 10 + 1 Round 5.56mm w/20" Barrel & A2 Buttsto $1,170.00 SHIPS FREE

This Smith is about at the top of my price range.

Rock River Arms: Predator Pursuit Rifle / Mid-Length

Wylde chamber? I know what it is but is it a good thing? Also the Rock River goes for about $990 on GB.

Bushmaster Predator 20" Fluted Barrel

At the BM price it would help me get some better glass.

Or I could go with a Rock River lower at $290 and the BM upper from Midway at $530. I like this price even better, but is it a deal or a nightmare waiting to happen? At this price I could afford to drop in a super spiffalacious trigger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links