My First AR15

This is a discussion on My First AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been granted approval from the oversight committee (my Wife), to purchase an AR for myself. I need to keep it <$1000 out the door. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MinistrMalic

Thread: My First AR15

My First AR15

I've been granted approval from the oversight committee (my Wife), to purchase an AR for myself. I need to keep it <$1000 out the door.

I am looking for suggestions.

I want a starter that will leave some money for upgrades, such as a trigger, red-dot type sight systems, etc. I am not interested in lights, cameras, lasers, or anything like that hanging off the gun. I do prefer the rail on the upper opposed to the handle, as i can add a carry handle to the rail if desired.

I intend to poke .223" holes in paper, and have it on hand for a SHTF situation.

I went to my LGS today and fondled a few different models, but the one that stuck out as the best price to feature/fit+finish ratio was the M&P for $699.

Do ya'll have any suggestions on how to better spend that 699?

2. Remove Ads

700.00 out the door for the M&P will give you a good rifle without dropping a ton of cash. The only downside is I don't think they come with a chrome lined barrel which IMO is worth the extra $. Last year when I had 1000.00 budget for my first AR I picked a RRA lower up on sale at my LGS and ordered a complete upper kit from Model 1 sales. The kit was around 500 with the chrome lined barrel if I remember correctly. I had a buddy of mine put it together and it has ran like the wind. 5000+ rounds through it without a hic-up and the most accurate non match grade rifle I have ever shot When it comes to optics I would suggest checking out a red dot from primary arms. They are budget priced but high quality optics and will leave you enough of your 1000 budget left to get a nice trigger setup, stock and grip and if you go with a flat top a set of back up irons.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    That is a good rifle at a great price. Jump on it!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

sgb
    Which model for $699? if it's the M&P 15 Sport it's not a chrome lined barrel. The standard M&P 15, M&P 15 MOE & M&P 15 X all come with chrome lined barrels.

Stag Arms model 2 & Spike ST-15 M4 LE Carbine are also great bang for the buck AR's
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Which model for $699? if it's the M&P 15 Sport it's not a chrome lined barrel. The standard M&P 15, M&P 15 MOE & M&P 15 X all come with chrome lined barrels.

Stag Arms model 2 & Spike ST-15 M4 LE Carbine are also great bang for the buck AR's
    I just went to the S&W web sight because I thought you might be wrong. I hadn't heard of this before, but you are dang right.

OP, I'd stay away from the sport model. All the others are quite nice.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

It was the sport model. Hmm... I'll have to check out their prices on chrome lined models

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would check out Bushmaster rifles since you can get several of their models for less than $1,000. Another option is to build your own AR-15 from Spike's Tactical or Brownells.

• Bushmaster Superlight Carbine with Red Dot $820.00
    • Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4 "Flat Top" Carbine $905.00
    • Bushmaster Carbon 15 M4 Carbine $905.00
    • Bushmaster Carbon 15 R97F Rifle $925.00
    • Bushmaster Carbon 15 "Top Loader" Carbine $905.00
    • Bushmaster O.R.C. (Optics Ready Carbine) $1,068.00
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I was gonna suggest S&W before I finished reading your post.

This would be a second suggestion.

Rock River 16" CAR A4 5.56 223 NEW : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    CDNN has the good M&P 15s for $850. It comes with the handle too.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    For me and for mine, if you're not going to get NFA-style I would go with a direct impingement system instead of a piston system. That's cheaper too. Don't get the sport M&P because the chrome lined barrel is a big deal. If I were you I would get a flat top upper with some flip up iron sights and spend a little more for a nice rifle. Then save awhile and add some optics of your choice.

Beware, ARs are like grown up Lego's. It's a disease to continually tweak and add and replace parts and monkey around with your AR.
    RockStrongo likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Links