Which Ruger 10/22?

This is a discussion on Which Ruger 10/22? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking at getting a new 10/22 and wondering what the opinions are about the best configuration. I see the stainless carbine with synthetic stock ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which Ruger 10/22?

Which Ruger 10/22?

I'm looking at getting a new 10/22 and wondering what the opinions are about the best configuration. I see the stainless carbine with synthetic stock is at Wallmart for a fair price. I think I'd rather have the 16" barrel, but don't know if an 18" would really be that different. They don't show the compact in stainless on the Ruger website. Also wonder if they are all drilled and tapped or will I need to take it to the gunsmith if I want to mount an optic?
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

2. Remove Ads

012.jpg

Any platform is good but I would go stainless. Then put a Volquartsen barrel on it with a barrel scope mount and a thumb whole stalk. This combo makes a nail driver
    Last edited by Truckinfavis; April 5th, 2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Pic

AFAIK they are all drilled and tapped for optics,I bought a standard stainless w/walnut stock,later installed a stainless match barrel and green/brown laminated stock,My wife has the first US shooting team commemorative.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If you are going to replace the barrel, you might as well save a few bucks and skip the stainless model. All 10/22 receivers are aluminum, they just have different paint finishes. Every 10/22 is drilled and tapped and should come with an accessory rail in the box for mounting a scope or other optic, so you are good there, but I've heard that the rail itself is a little flimsy. If you are putting something fancy on there I'd spring for a better rail.

My 10/22 is the stainless, but I replaced the boat paddle with a Hogue Overmolded stock.
    rhinokrk likes this.
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

[/ATTACH]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dleavitt View Post
    If you are going to replace the barrel, you might as well save a few bucks and skip the stainless model. All 10/22 receivers are aluminum, they just have different paint finishes. Every 10/22 is drilled and tapped and should come with an accessory rail in the box for mounting a scope or other optic, so you are good there, but I've heard that the rail itself is a little flimsy. If you are putting something fancy on there I'd spring for a better rail.

My 10/22 is the stainless, but I replaced the boat paddle with a Hogue Overmolded stock.
    A barrel mount is much better, in my opinion. Look at my pick and tell me with the original rail, how I would mount the red dot, or a real scope?

012.jpg

I've got a regular ole wood & blue 10/22. It's served me very well over the years.

It comes with a rimfire scope rail, which is much narrower to accommodate rimfire rings.

I bought some Weaver bases and rings and I like them much better than the rimfire versions.

I shot it for years with iron sights
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    Depends on what you want it for, but I'd just go with the plain Jane base model. If you get any more into it other than popping soda cans, you're going to end up modding it anyway. So factory fancy ends up being a waste of money. Plus, I havent noticed that any of them shoot better than the next, so I'd go with whatever you find for the best price.
    jwhite75 and rhinokrk like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I took the scope off my 10/22 and just use the iron sights. Plain wood and blued finish.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Roger the base model... keep the cost down. If you elect to scope it, the standard Ruger base is fair, but the B-Square mount is a lot more substantial.

The base gun is tons of fun as is, and after I "built" my first three, I got a deal on an early one that had some cosmetic problems. Cleaned it up, left it alone (well... there was a little trigger work), and it gets shot as much as the spiffed-up tack drivers.

The standard 18-1/4" barrel still allows for a compact package. 16-18" is optimal length for .22 LR, so while the Compact model is 3" shorter overall, it also has a 3/4" shorter length of pull. OK for a kid, might be a little too short for an adult.

And if you do decide to tweak it a bit (the trigger is a good place to start), check out all the info on RimfireCentral.com.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    The the one with the target barrel. That way, you can chunk the barrel and replace it with one that is integrally suppressed to make it the ultimate squirrel killing machine...if its legal in your state. You wont have to change the stock since it had the target barrel anyway. With subsonic ammo...the loudest sound comes from the bolt slapping back and forth.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The best configuration? Well, that goes with the intended purpose pretty much. Thing is.....if you're unsure as to the end means, then at least get something that's modular and can grow with you. I say get into a bone stock target model (heavy barrel, wood stock). 10/22KT. The new Rugers aint what they used to be just a few years ago. Take my word for it, or check into the best forum for rimfires.......rimfirecentral.com
    The 10/22 is sort of addicting once you get with it. One way or another, there will be something you can do yourself, or buy to get more out of it as soon as you feel up to par. I absolutely love the 10/22 for what it is, and how easily it can be worked.

Distinguished Member
    I just got a 10/22 Deluxe. The stock trigger is terrible on them so I bought a target hammer from Midway for another $40. Also a auto bolt release and recoil buffer. If you are not going to put good scope on it the factory base will work fine.

Many years ago i had a short barrel (161/2) blue 10-22...it was the most accurate gun i have ever owned...i put a buddy of mine through medical school shooting raccoons/varmints with him...i sold it to him & i still cry at night thinking how dumb i was...

This: M249 10/22
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

Click hereHome

Hornetproducts.com freat products for a tackdriver!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links