Hipoint carbine opinions from owners?

This is a discussion on Hipoint carbine opinions from owners? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got one in a trade deal a couple of months ago and figured to sell it. We took it to the range with the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hipoint carbine opinions from owners?

I got one in a trade deal a couple of months ago and figured to sell it. We took it to the range with the grand kids and they fell in love with it. Never had a failure and the 15 rd mags work and feed well. Yes it is harder to clean but it is not a show piece, so just shoot it and enjoy.

I call it my Studebaker gun. If you never owned a Studebaker car or truck, you never will understand ugly. They were curvy in the wrong places, no sincronizers in the tranny, and just generally very ugly. But they hauled the freight and got the job done. I learned to drive in a 47 Stude pickup and Dad said if I could drive it I could drive anything. You had to double shift every gear change. Now you know why I call my 996 a Studebaker.
    Mine is not for sale, doesn't have to reside in a safe, and generally goes to the range every trip. Form follows function.

2. Remove Ads

My 995 9mm is a keeper. Bought it in 2001ish for 150.00 brand new. Shot the heck out of it and has'nt been cleaned, as in stripped down ever. No jams no FTF nothing. Just keeps shooting..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have own a 995 for several years and its a good little carbine. Fun and cheap to buy a feed. While I would never spend hard earned money on a HP handgun the HP carbines are good buys IMO. They work, are relatively accurate and reliable and with a lifetime warranty that HP stands behind. My experience with the 995 has been good.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have a 4095 40S&W.

Great fun, accurate, easy to shoot and it works period. I use it as a good car long gun and HD gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Thumbs up

I have a 995 with the target/skeleton stock. I just love this thing, cheap and works well. will keyhole my shots at 25 and 50 yards. run brass ammo in it all day long. blazer, federal, wwb and fiocchi and not one hickup. It may not be pretty to some but is the best 250 i have spent on a firearm and fits me better then the keltec.

tried herters steel and had some fte and ftl but the base shape and crimp of those is not the same as american brass.

dont use the 15 round mags, follower shape is not right and can cause damage due to bolt hitting it versus last round hold open lever.

Administrator
    I'd like to see HiPoint ditch their pistol efforts, and go full force into the carbines. By ditching the pistols, they probably could afford the time and money to refine the carbine, use some higher quality components and hopefully be producing a top notch carbine anyone would be proud to own.
    RemMod597 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I have own a 995 for several years and its a good little carbine. Fun and cheap to buy a feed. While I would never spend hard earned money on a HP handgun the HP carbines are good buys IMO. They work, are relatively accurate and reliable and with a lifetime warranty that HP stands behind. My experience with the 995 has been good.

I like that barrel attachment. What is it?
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'd like to see HiPoint ditch their pistol efforts, and go full force into the carbines. By ditching the pistols, they probably could afford the time and money to refine the carbine, use some higher quality components and hopefully be producing a top notch carbine anyone would be proud to own.
    I agree. They are on to a good thing with their carbines.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    When we went to pick up the new Kahr CW9 I bought on GunBroker last week, the gun shop we were doing the transfer through had several of the HiPoint carbines on the floor for sale. My wife seems to have fallen in love with one. I don't honestly remember the price but I remember thinking it wasn't out of line.

The carbine had a laser sight attached to the tactical rail fore end. It was a .40 cal as I recall but they also had several 9mm versions as well.

I'd like to get this gun for her as a surprise but I am just a little apprehensive. It's a HiPoint after all. I have not owned one but I have heard horror stories about HiPoints and I have heard glowing reports as well. So I'd really like to hear from anyone who actually owns one of these carbines. Is it any good? Had any problems? What would be a good price for one as i have described it?

Thanks!
    I have the high point 45 acp pistol and have had ZERO problems with it. It just goes and goes... no failures to feed or extract. I too have thought about the 45 acp carbine, seeing as though i am going to be reloading 45's shortly. Good luck. If you dont like it, you could always sell it and not take a beating on it. I have never seen a luggage rack on a hearse... buy it while the getting is good... Plus, it would come in handy when the Zombies come!! Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

VIP Member
    I hate you guys!!!!!!

I just spent 25 mins. and reading 50+ reviews with nary a negative thing said about them.

Here
    High Point 9mm Carbine.

High Point 45 Caliber Carbine

High Point 995 9mm Carbine

Now I want one,,ahh,, gotta have one.

They also are to be had in .40 and .45, and people seemed to say good things about them as well.

I am thinking this (and anything like it) is the perfect home defense for women and older teens.
    Buckj and RemMod597 like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

We have several as range rentals and I can only remember two "problems". One was dropped and the hood around the feont sight broke. The sight post was fine, just the hood broke off (and really that's what its for anyway). Tje other got cleaned with some chemical that ate the finish off of the receiver. We tend to clean the rentals pretty quickly and casualy and I don't know who used what to do it. Could have been Gunscrubber, could be bore foam of one kimd or another. Gun still works in amy case.

The first gun we just cut the rest of the sight protector off with a Dremel and put it back to work. The second got a spray of Aluma Hyde or something from Brownell's and air-cured and back to work it went.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I have an HP carbine in .40 (4095) wearing the older 'Planet of the Apes" furniture. Sure, it is ugly as sin, but accurate as hell.
    Mine came with the laser but I removed it fairly son afterward. Didn't hold zero. Don't need it, anyways.
    Disassembly isn't as easy as on some, but it isn't bad.
    With the original furniture on it, I experience a fair amount of cheek slap, but I can deal with it.
    I have been considering getting rid of my .40 S&W rigs, but this one inexpensive Hi-Point carbine is keeping .40 in my inventory for the foreseeable future.

P.S. Hi-Point customer service rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I agree HP could improve the carbine with some higher quality materials, but that being said the form in many way follows the function with these guns and the HP carbines use the same simple blowback operation as their pistols. The pistols made by HP are big, ungainly, ugly and heavy because these use the simple straight blowback design for handguns with caliber higher than .380 so the pistols (9mm, .40 and 45acp) have a large heavy slide. Because Hi-Point pistols do not use a breech-locking system like most handguns larger than .380 the oversized heavy slides hold the breech closed through sheer mass. The result is a heavy, cumbersome gun that is less aesthetically appealing than most would want to own. In the carbine the very large heavy bolt can more effectively handle the blowback design in the larger pistol calibers. Its ugly but it works but many have worn out internal parts after 4-5K rounds. Of course all you do then is send it back to HP and they will completely referb the carbine for you free of charge and you are good to go.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    I like that barrel attachment. What is it?
    Its a barrel shroud that just slides over the barrel and has a set screw. I Duracoated mine along with all the metal parts of the little rifle.

MOERSE LEKKER SALES - PRODUCTS

9MM Hi-Point 995 Barrel Shroud for ATI & TS Stock | eBay

Nice. I like how it gives you the option to retain the stock iron sights. Although yours looks a lot cleaner without it, but I'm not ready to plunk down the money to convert mine over to a top rail sight just yet.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links