Hipoint carbine opinions from owners? - Page 3

Hipoint carbine opinions from owners?

This is a discussion on Hipoint carbine opinions from owners? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the 9mm in the camo "Planet of the Apes" stock, came with a laser which I rarely use since the thing is so ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hipoint carbine opinions from owners?

gtv
    I have the 9mm in the camo "Planet of the Apes" stock, came with a laser which I rarely use since the thing is so accurate with the iron sights. It is a great gun... I would like to get one of the new .45 ACP carbines.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

They gave me one to review awhile back...all I can say is junk, junk junk!

Buit as long as people will buy junk, people will make junk.

Quote Originally Posted by wichaka View Post

Well, there's always going to be at least one...

I gotta say though in all honesty (and I am a big believer in quality firearms) I can't see how you could think that...

Then again I have grown accustomed to the ATI stock which completely transforms the whole nature of the firearm, it's like night and day. I wasn't a big fan of the original stock.

But still for the price paid, you can't expect a Cadillac. They go bang every time you ask them to which is all that counts in the end. They sort of remind me of an AK-47 in that they are inexpensively made, yet tough as nails. Except for the original stock of course.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

You say Hi Point gave you one to review? What publication do you write for? Please post your full review for us. You do realize we are only talking about the 995 carbine not HP handguns.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Guess I spoke out of turn, the model I had was a 4595TSFG.

Am a moderator over on m1911.org, as well as an LEO, and was sent a 4595TSFG to my dept. from MKS Supply.
    I have been sent many a firearm over the last 5-6 years for T&E's. Am currently packing a Wilson X-Tac, doing a long term test of their Armor-Tuff finish.
    Can check out my review of both the X-Tac, and the ongoing finish test here; The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - X-Tac Armor-Tuff Finish test

Anyway, the owner of m1911.org arranged for me to receive the gun, which really doesn't fit anything that I would use it for. The carbine failed to function reliably even after it was taken apart and thoroughly cleaned and lubed. Finally got it running, but was very unimpressed with it. It would make an ok plinker, throw it in the truck and go camping firearm, but wouldn't rely on it for much more than that.

My standards for testing are for much higher than just plinking, so needless to say it failed miserably. And there ain't a whole lot of love put into them things anyway, pretty rough inside and out...especially out!

Don't mean to ruin anyone's day, I just report what I happen to find.

Be well.

Administrator
    Guess I spoke out of turn, the model I had was a 4595TSFG.

Am a moderator over on m1911.org, as well as an LEO, and was sent a 4595TSFG to my dept. from MKS Supply.
    I have been sent many a firearm over the last 5-6 years for T&E's. Am currently packing a Wilson X-Tac, doing a long term test of their Armor-Tuff finish.
    Can check out my review of both the X-Tac, and the ongoing finish test here; The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - X-Tac Armor-Tuff Finish test

Anyway, the owner of m1911.org arranged for me to receive the gun, which really doesn't fit anything that I would use it for. The carbine failed to function reliably even after it was taken apart and thoroughly cleaned and lubed. Finally got it running, but was very unimpressed with it. It would make an ok plinker, throw it in the truck and go camping firearm, but wouldn't rely on it for much more than that.

My standards for testing are for much higher than just plinking, so needless to say it failed miserably. And there ain't a whole lot of love put into them things anyway, pretty rough inside and out...especially out!

Don't mean to ruin anyone's day, I just report what I happen to find.

Be well.
    I pretty much concur with all things said here, However, I do think this egesta can be polished and made serviceable with a little effort on Hi Points part.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I agree, I don't think it would take much effort on their part to put out a bit better product.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The vast majority of people who own the HP carbine use them for plinking and as a a cheap truck gun IMO. I own a lot of firearms, far more than the average shooter and personally would not use this carbine as a HD or SHTF weapon because I have many other higher quality rifle options, but that being said the 995 would serve that purpose relatively well for many people. Also remember the .45 cal version is the newest member to the HP carbine lineup and not as proven as the 9mm model.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links