Hipoint carbine opinions from owners?

This is a discussion on Hipoint carbine opinions from owners? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When we went to pick up the new Kahr CW9 I bought on GunBroker last week, the gun shop we were doing the transfer through ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hipoint carbine opinions from owners?

Hipoint carbine opinions from owners?

When we went to pick up the new Kahr CW9 I bought on GunBroker last week, the gun shop we were doing the transfer through had several of the HiPoint carbines on the floor for sale. My wife seems to have fallen in love with one. I don't honestly remember the price but I remember thinking it wasn't out of line.

The carbine had a laser sight attached to the tactical rail fore end. It was a .40 cal as I recall but they also had several 9mm versions as well.

I'd like to get this gun for her as a surprise but I am just a little apprehensive. It's a HiPoint after all. I have not owned one but I have heard horror stories about HiPoints and I have heard glowing reports as well. So I'd really like to hear from anyone who actually owns one of these carbines. Is it any good? Had any problems? What would be a good price for one as i have described it?

Thanks!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Out of all the High Points, the carbines seem to get pretty decent reviews. They go for right around a 2-250 around here. Almost the same money as a Keltec carbine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I have a high point 9mm carbine, its accurate, easy on the shoulder, and it can take a beating. I gotta say I really love mine, if you want Mike, whenever we can get a chance to meet up and shoot, I can bring mine and I would be more than willing to let you expirience it for yourself
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I don't own any carbines but I do have a 45 and a .380.
    Both are trouble free and extremely accurate. I am as happy with them as any of my other guns.
    Most negative reviews are from people who have never owned them or shot them.
    Why else would the demand keep ahead of the supply?
    Buy one, you wont be dissapointed.

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I have a high point 9mm carbine, its accurate, easy on the shoulder, and it can take a beating. I gotta say I really love mine, if you want Mike, whenever we can get a chance to meet up and shoot, I can bring mine and I would be more than willing to let you expirience it for yourself
    Thanks Chris. I'd like that and if my wife is able to come too I'd love for her to be able to shoot it as well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Mine is the 9mm version and the only complaint is the 10 round mags. Very accurate and fun to shoot. It gets more rounds through it than my AR.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    they have 15 round mags for them, but if your a stickler for looks like i am you wont want it cause it sticks out the bottom too much
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I own the 9mm version and really like it. Paid $250 at the local Cabelas for the one with the recoil absorbing stock, and foregrip. I only have a few hundred rounds through it, but no failures yet. I put a $30 red dot scope on it from Amazon, its pretty darn accurate at 50 yards. Haven't taken it farther though. Don't expect to field strip it very often. It's a pain, just clean the barrel and whatever you can reach inside the chamber and call it good. The trigger is one of my few complaints about it; It works fine, but its cheap. It wiggles from side to side. Someone makes replacement metal ones that fix this, but it doesn't bother me enough to replace it.

I definitely would recommend it for the price. I took a girl on a date to the range a couple weeks back and let her try some of my guns (Ruger 10/22, HiPoint 995, HK USP, and Springfield XD9sc). Out of those, she liked the HiPoint the best.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Distinguished Member
    My dad wanted a cheap zombie rifle. After research, I bought him the hi-point 9mm carbine for Christmas. When I looked into hi-point, I did not find negative reviews from anyone who actually owned one.

Like mine. Bought used .40S&W for $220. was fun to shoot. biggest negative is 10 rd capacity in .40 cal, the 9mm you can get larger mags, but they are not 100%. The slide lock can be clumsy sometimes, but works. Couldnt beat it for $220. Could easily hit a man at 50 yards with my $25 red dot.

Not sure I'd trust their pistols, but have nothing but solid things to say about my Hi-Point 9mm carbine. I will say that as it came, the original stock SUCKED...it was weird looking and very flimsy. Easily upgradeable though, although through upgrading I lost the ability to use the laser it came with. But it turned out well with a few tacticool options added on.

Buy it, you won't be disappointed. It's a fun rifle to shoot, and not all that inaccurate either.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I have to echo all the good comments here. I have an original stock 9mm, but upgraded with the ATI stock. The new ones are much more appealing. I do wish they had a larger capacity magazine. Though I've heard there are new after-market 15 round mags that supposedly work.

I have a 9mm High Point Carbine...have only shot 50 rounds so far but it has been 100% true & with open sights i can hit a 2 liter coke bottle off hand at 50 yards as fast as i can pull the trigger...pretty impressive !!

I have both the 9mm carbine and pistol. I honestly do not know how many rounds have been put through them but i would guess upwards of 2,000 I have only had one malfunction and it was due to the feed lips on the magazine being bent. These guns are cheep but reliable and accurate. In my opinion the only things they are lacking in are the looks and aftermarket accessories departments. Most people who complain about Hipoints have never shot one and are making assumptions based on price and looks.

I got a Hi-point 995 carbine in 9mm,paid about 225.00 and added a 60.00 ATI stock and a cheap bushnell red dot sight,makes it look more like a Beretta Storm,It's never jammed,but I only put about 100 rounds thru it,It's in my safe with a lot of other rifles I need to take out and shoot sometime
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links