Went & Dunnit

Went & Dunnit

This is a discussion on Went & Dunnit within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, Well, in a moment of weakness, I broke down & bought my first AR - an S&W M&P15. (Wait, who am I kidding? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went & Dunnit

Went & Dunnit

Hi All,

Well, in a moment of weakness, I broke down & bought my first AR - an S&W M&P15. (Wait, who am I kidding? I planned this for months!) I think I got a really good deal on it, and the dealer threw in a couple of extra mags to sweeten the pot.

I have a few questions for those in the know...

From what I've seen & read, it looks like the Magpul is the magazine of choice. Any thoughts? Better choices?

I got the 'OR' version, with rails but no sights or optics. Any suggestions for a good reasonably-priced setup? My application will be plinking, occaisional coyote & varmint shooting, and zombies. I don't want to break the bank - not gonna spend $400-500. Just looking for a good value on a decent quality basic setup. I bought a cheapo (Truglo) red-dot to start, just to have something on the gun.

What're your thoughts on "must-have" accessories?

Which AR should I be looking to buy next?

TIA for comments.

Regards,
    Jim

Magpul mags are just awesome; you really can't go wrong with them. If you prefer steel the HK ones are great, the Bushmaster mags have self-leveling followers and are about half the price of the HKs. Of course the HK mags are much tougher. However, if you like the look of them the Magpul mags are just unbeatable. I like the Magpul stock and their ergonomic forward grip, shaped like kind of a sideways triangle. Enjoy your new rifle!

RKM
    Magpul really is the number one in mags. I have a couple of Lancer L5 mags and they're very nice as well.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Hi All,

What're your thoughts on "must-have" accessories?

After your sights or optics of choice and a few spare magazines, I am very fond of a good single point sling; after that there is no accessory like a couple thousand rounds.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Right now, if this is your first AR, I think you need about a dozen good mags, preferably Pmags, then a good white light which would be anything from a Surefire G2 in a Gear Sector or LaRue mount to a Surefire Scout light. I'd then shoot the gun until you get to know it well. Then, look at a good optic for your particular needs like a red dot for close to a couple hundred yards or a powered optic for long range shooting, etc.

I like using Magpul angled fore grips, but it took many vertical grips and hand stops for me to realize this. Don't be afraid to experiment as what works for one guy may make you shoot worse!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Thanks, Guys, for the replies.

Looks like the Magpul is the mag of choice! First thing I plan to do is order 6 or 8 more (I have 4 now). As for ammo, I'm pretty well set. Been shooting Mini-14's for 30+ years, and I have a couple thousand rounds or so tucked away. Might need another case, though, just so I don't run out.

The light sounds like a good idea. I saw a slick little package with a high-intensity light and a laser combined in a small rail-mount unit at the shop yesterday. Don't recall the brand, but it was a name brand and was pretty pricey as I recall. Anyone have any experience with those?

Any suggestions on the single-point sling? I am not at all familiar with those. My AR has a single sling attachment point on the buttstock, so I assume that's what I'd use for a single-point sling (?) I was thinking of adding a sling swivel on the forestock for a conventional sling, but please tell me more about the single-point slings.

As for the optics (or sights), I'm concerned only with fairly close range work. My property is heavily wooded, and the longest shot I'd ever expect to make would be maybe 150 yards, if that. Any SD use would be a LOT closer. Besides, I couldn't SEE a 'yote or varmint at 200 yards, let alone hit it with an AR, unless I went for optics that were too much for most of my close-in work, anyway. If I should happen to need a shot (say at a pig, coyote, or cougar) at 200+ yards, I'd be reaching for my scoped .30-30 rather than the AR.

Thanks again for the info, and I'll continue to learn from you guys!

Regards,
    Jim

VIP Member
    I have the same AR. Mags wise P-mags are the best, but there are other good ones out there. I like Fusil all steel mags. CDNN has lots of choices for mags on the cheap. Give them a look here: CDNN Sports, Inc. I will caution you to avoid the Master Molder mags though, they stink.

As to an optic, I just went with a low power variable scope. I have a Redfield 2 X 7 scope on mine and at 2 power it's pretty fast. I can also dial it up to 7 power for longer range work. The scope was about $150 and is pretty dang solid.

AR 1.jpg

The Redfield scope also comes with a range compensating reticle, it's pretty nice. You can look at the scope here: Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm Riflescope - Matte Finish, 4-Plex / Accu-Range Reticle FREE S&H 67080, 67085. Redfield Revolution Riflescopes, Redfield Riflescopes.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

PMAGs are the way to go for sure, as others have said. They are the magazines I trust my life to at work, and I have not had a failure with them.

I'm a big fan of Magpul gear in general. If you want to use a single point sling, it is best to put a mounting plate on the rear of the receiver, that will carry a lot better, and let you properly use the one point. Magpul's ASAP mount is the one I like for M-4's. If you want to go with a 2 or 3 point sling, you can buy a sling loop to attack to the rail system.

As far as sights, do you want irons, or just an optic? Magpul has their back-up sights, which are made of plastic, but generally get good reviews. Or you can get a set of back up iron sights for $100-150 probably.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

sgb

Thumbs up

There are several good 1-4x20mm scopes that will fill your need for 0-200 yards that won't break the bank. SWFA has a special running on the NIKON 1-4x20 M223 scope that comes with a free AR mount. $279.95

I have a similar Leupold Mark AR mounted on one of my AR's and It's great.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I like that new Nikon M223, but for value priced red dot....try rifle scopes, red dot sights, aimpoint rifle scopes, ar 15, red dot scopes. I also have been researching Vortex Tactical. The PMags are very good stuff.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Great photos, thanks!

My wife loved our trip in a previous year, I'm a lucky man!
    Fast is good but accurate is better.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    ...If you want to use a single point sling, it is best to put a mounting plate on the rear of the receiver, that will carry a lot better, and let you properly use the one point. Magpul's ASAP mount is the one I like for M-4's. If you want to go with a 2 or 3 point sling, you can buy a sling loop to attack to the rail system.

As far as sights, do you want irons, or just an optic? Magpul has their back-up sights, which are made of plastic, but generally get good reviews. Or you can get a set of back up iron sights for $100-150 probably.
    Thanks to all for the info so far!

BuckeyeLCPL - I'll check out the Magpul ASAP - thanks!

As for the sights, I'm still kind of on the fence on this. The aging eyes + bifocals make it ever harder to get a good sight picture with iron sights, but for the close-in shooting I'll probably be doing, they'd probably be OK. I am leaning pretty hard towards a red dot or low-power optic, though. I'll play with the Truglo for a while to see if the red-dot looks like the best solution, and if so, I'll spring for a higher-end model. Still browsing the iron sights and conventional scopes, though.

Thanks to atctimmy and sgb for the info on the Redfield & Nikon scopes! They both look good. I'll check both of them out. I'm VERY partial to Nikon, as I've been really pleased with the ProStaff I run on my .30-30 for pig hunting.

Dang! I never figured that buying one rifle would result in so many decisions to make, and so much (near) future money to spend! Seems a lot like owning a Harley!

Thanks again for the input - and BTW, please see my post this afternoon about ammo. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I like that new Nikon M223, but for value priced red dot....try rifle scopes, red dot sights, aimpoint rifle scopes, ar 15, red dot scopes...
    Thanks for the tip!
    The Aimpoints look nice, but they still seem a little pricey (or maybe I'm just cheap). Are they worth the difference over, say, a Bushnell?

Thanks!
    Jim

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Thanks for the tip!
    The Aimpoints look nice, but they still seem a little pricey (or maybe I'm just cheap). Are they worth the difference over, say, a Bushnell?

Thanks!
    Jim
    On a serious self defense carbine they are, however they offer no magnification and most utilize a 4 MOA dot. In the picture above the SBR on the right has an Aimpoint ML2 in an ARMS 22m68 cantilever mount. They're designed for in close fast shooting are very rugged and have batteries that last for years. In my experience the less expensive red dot optics are more frail and battery hogs.

I have older eyes and the 1-4 x20mm Mark AR I have on the carbine on the left easily allows me to shoot both eyes open on the 1 setting yet gives me the ability to up the magnification to 4x for longer shots.

Here's the view through mine set on 1 (lowest setting).

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Wow! Nice camera work!

Thanks for the update. That pic is through the Nikon? That might just about sell me on it!

Regards,
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links