OK, Now a .223/5.56 Ammo Question - Page 2

OK, Now a .223/5.56 Ammo Question

This is a discussion on OK, Now a .223/5.56 Ammo Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The old saying "garbage in garbage out" applies to more than computers, it applies to ammunition as well. I never understood undertaking the cost of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: OK, Now a .223/5.56 Ammo Question

sgb
    The old saying "garbage in garbage out" applies to more than computers, it applies to ammunition as well. I never understood undertaking the cost of a quality AR system only to feed it the cheapest crap you could find. I'll stick to quality bulk brass cased ammunition that mimics the POI of my carry ammo.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    The old saying "garbage in garbage out" applies to more than computers, it applies to ammunition as well. I never understood undertaking the cost of a quality AR system only to feed it the cheapest crap you could find. I'll stick to quality bulk brass cased ammunition that mimics the POI of my carry ammo.
    When shooting a couple hundred rounds on drills at 5 to 15 yards with an AR, there's no advantage to usig the bes ammo to average ammo. POI will be 1.5" to 2" below POA regardless. When taking a 1,000 to 2,000 round carbine course, again there's no advantage as it's not a precision course. I probably wouldn't take Wolf, but I don't need TAP either. Actually, I've yet to attend a class where anyone was running high quality ammo. 855 or 193 is pretty common as is other training ammo. When running drills on your own time, there's really no problem with running cheap ammo as it won't affect anything remotely important in the way of speed or accuracy.

Even at 100 yards, as long as the weight is the same, the only difference is that the groups may be 3 or 4 MOA as opposed to 1.5 or 2 MOA, and that's only if you're trying for accuracy anyway and not just minute of man.

I ran a case of Hornady training ammo at a class once, and it's steel cased. A good extractor and it's just as reliable and good as brass.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I always stock about 4000 rounds of 5.56, and got it all from Widener's, PRVI Partizan M193. He's got it now for around $300 per 1000. Nice 200 round battle packs. I have run 1000's through my AR15 and AR180, never a hiccup, dead accurate.
    He also sells steel core and tracers.
    "I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you ---- with me, I'll kill you all."

Marine Corps General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links