OK, Now a .223/5.56 Ammo Question

This is a discussion on OK, Now a .223/5.56 Ammo Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, Now that I have my new M&P15, I'm thinking of increasing my stock of ammo in .223 and/or 5.56 NATO. I've seen Sellier ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: OK, Now a .223/5.56 Ammo Question

OK, Now a .223/5.56 Ammo Question

Hi All,

Now that I have my new M&P15, I'm thinking of increasing my stock of ammo in .223 and/or 5.56 NATO.

I've seen Sellier & Bellot around a lot lately, but have never fired it. I've seen some real good deals on it, but wonder if anyone has any strong feelings pro or con, based on experience?

Also curious about Brown Bear / Silver Bear. I see it is non-reloadable, steel-cased and Berdan-primed, but I don't expect to be reloading again any time soon, and probably not for .223/5.56. Anyone have any good/bad experience with this ammo? It's VERY competitively priced!

TIA for replies.

Regards,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

Well, first, does your rifle have a .223, or a 5.56 chamber? If it has a 5.56 chamber, you are fine to shoot either.

I have fired plenty of brown bear/silver bear out of a lot of my weapons, including my M-4. It takes significantly longer to clean, since it is so nasty, but I have never had a problem running it.

The S&B is generally considered a step above that stuff. I'd rather shoot S&B than the Bear stuff out of my guns, but it all depends on how good of a deal you find.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I've run a whole bunch of it through my guns and never had a problem with it; that being said, as a precaution due to the fact that the ammo is non-reloadable I have always cleaned my weapons promptly when I got home from the range......

Hope that helps.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

RKM
    Russian steel ammo is dirty. I only shoot it out of my AK. I only shoot brass in my AR. PMC Bronze to be exact. Some of the cheapest factory brass you can get :)

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Well, first, does your rifle have a .223, or a 5.56 chamber? If it has a 5.56 chamber, you are fine to shoot either.
    I have fired plenty of brown bear/silver bear out of a lot of my weapons, including my M-4. It takes significantly longer to clean, since it is so nasty, but I have never had a problem running it.
    The S&B is generally considered a step above that stuff. I'd rather shoot S&B than the Bear stuff out of my guns, but it all depends on how good of a deal you find.
    Thanks (again) for the advice! Both my Mini-14's and my AR are rated for 5.56, so I can go with either.

"Nasty" doesn't sound so nice, so maybe I'll go with the S&B for a little extra dough. Cabela's and Gander Mountain are both selling Remington 5.56 (I believe, but it might be .223) for $350 a case (1000) including an ammo can, so that might be the best option (?). Decisions, decisions...

Regards,
    Jim

PMC Bronze, $290 for 1,000 PMC .223 55grn FMJ 20rd box
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    PMC Bronze, $290 for 1,000 PMC .223 55grn FMJ 20rd box
    PMC Bronze is good practice & blasting ammo you can usually find it at Aim, Palmetto State Armory or Ammunition to Go. I mostly shoot Federal XM193 as it's the hotter 5.56. Stay away from the steel cased Russian ammo, it's dirty, stinks and not very accurate. You also want to stay away from the Remington .223 yellow box stuff, their green box however is good to go.

Your S&W has a 1 in 9 inch twist rifling so it'll handle the longer open tip match bullets in the 68/69 gr range and may or may not like the 75 gr loads.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Great thread. And nice post, sgb.
    I'm getting my M&P-15 on Tuesday and told the LGS to get in a couple boxes each of 5 or 6 different rounds before I commit to 1000.

Shoot whatever you can get for cheap. Unless it's for defense or accuracy, anything will do. Also, don't be afraid of steel cased ammo. It won't hurt your gun. Also, as much as dirty sucks, they all get dirty some time!
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Shoot whatever you can get for cheap. Unless it's for defense or accuracy, anything will do. Also, don't be afraid of steel cased ammo. It won't hurt your gun. Also, as much as dirty sucks, they all get dirty some time!
    Gotta agree here, and I even use it for defense purposes. To me, unless over penetration is a concern due to location, its not goin to matter what rips through the BGs body, and he aint goin ask. They make cleaning gear everyday.

Also agree with BuckeyeCpl. PMC is a great ammo, uses a boattail 55 grn FMJ, and kills paper and flesh with equal enthusiasm.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    I shoot the heck out of the 62 grain Silver Bear ammo. It runs fine and I have had zero problems with it.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Yeah but...
    When you get a new rifle and you are sighting it in (optics or irons) and breaking it in, shouldn't you figure out what shoots well before you invest in a thousand rounds?
    My mindset, not reloading anymore, is that I would rather find a nice accurate round I can buy, sight things in, and then stick with it. And if it costs a bit more, that's the way it is. At least I don't have 1000 rounds sitting around that aren't known for their accuracy, or have some other issue. I don't plan on doing the amount of shooting you do though. If I buy 1000 rounds of anything I'd like it to be a decent round so that I won't have 200 rounds sitting around as I move onto something else. I'hope I'm making sense, but that's what I was thinking.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Yeah but...
    When you get a new rifle and you are sighting it in (optics or irons) and breaking it in, shouldn't you figure out what shoots well before you invest in a thousand rounds?
    My mindset, not reloading anymore, is that I would rather find a nice accurate round I can buy, sight things in, and then stick with it. And if it costs a bit more, that's the way it is. At least I don't have 1000 rounds sitting around that aren't known for their accuracy, or have some other issue. I don't plan on doing the amount of shooting you do though. If I buy 1000 rounds of anything I'd like it to be a decent round so that I won't have 200 rounds sitting around as I move onto something else. I'hope I'm making sense, but that's what I was thinking.
    I run three different types of ammo through my AR, the cheap stuff, the good stuff and the steel core stuff. I don't re-zero for each kind.

There is a difference between small, nice groups and practical accuracy. If you can hit a paper plate sized obect with it 10 out of 10 times at 50 yds it is plenty accurate fo a man sized target.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

RKM
    When it comes to accuracy I think a lot of people get carried away with shooting a 3 shot group through the same hole. I'll be the first to admit that I just plain suck, but I'm happy with 4-5" group at 100 yards. I don't re-zero ever when shooting heavier or lighter grains. I just see where it hits and hold differently.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Gotta agree here, and I even use it for defense purposes. To me, unless over penetration is a concern due to location, its not goin to matter what rips through the BGs body, and he aint goin ask. They make cleaning gear everyday.

Also agree with BuckeyeCpl. PMC is a great ammo, uses a boattail 55 grn FMJ, and kills paper and flesh with equal enthusiasm.
    Very true… unlike handguns, we don't see as much of a difference between fmj and hollow point (open tip). 55 grain fmj will work very well for defensive ammo. 75 grain TAP will work marginally better by fragmenting sooner. Though I'd be content with either, I use 75 grain TAP for defensive ammo just because I have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Yeah but...
    Good point.

If I'm zeroing a new rifle or checking it for accuracy, I'll use a few different loads to see what it likes. Generally, I'll use a open tip match 55 grain for zeroing, then check it with fmj to see the difference in accuracy. Once it's zeroed for 55 or 62 grain, since that's 90% of what I use in classes and drills/range time, I'll call it good. I still load it with 75 grain for home defense, but at those distances the difference between 55 or 75 grain won't matter.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links