The Combat Lever Action Rifle

This is a discussion on The Combat Lever Action Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Gsolutions ...The first thing most people notice about most lever guns, especially a carbines, is how light they are compared to an ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The Combat Lever Action Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Gsolutions View Post
    ...The first thing most people notice about most lever guns, especially a carbines, is how light they are compared to an AK or AR...

...The low weight makes it a very fast handling gun – ...In a mechanical sense: little mass equals little inertia – in common terms, low weight does not have a whole lot of resistance against motion... All these movements are swift and require less effort than a heavier fighting rifle such as a modern autoloader. Skeptical?... Most likely, the novice will prefer shooting the lever gun due to its handling characteristics... The light weight is also advantageous if the Lever-Action is used as a bug-out rifle. Lower weight here translates into ease of transport over longer distances...
    Great read!

I question the weight issue, though. My AR-15, Mini-14's, and Marlin 336 are all within a few ounces of the same weight - about 6-1/2 pounds. My Mossberg 12-gauge is close, at about 7 lbs. Granted, an AK is a little heavier at 9-10 pounds. I tend to agree that the handling characteristics of the lever gun might make it a little easier to manage than a semi-auto for a lot of shooters, but I don't see where the weight is really the determining factor - it's more the geometry.

As much as I love my 336, it ranks way behind the 12-gauge, AR, Mini-14, or AK as a SD/HD weapon of choice. I might feel differently if I lived in CA, or somewhere else where the options are limited. Have to admit, though, that I wouldn't feel particularly "under-gunned" with the lever gun - I'd just rather the shotty or semi-auto. At SD ranges, I'd prefer 6 rounds of buckshot or 30 rounds of 5.56 or 7.62x39 to 5 rounds of .30-30. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

The LeveRevolution ammo is good stuff - just remember to NOT leave it in the tube mag for any length of time...the plastic tip will deform and adversely impact accuracy. If you want to keep the tube mag loaded, use conventional soft points - keep the LeveRevolution ammo for your reloads.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    As much as I love my 336, it ranks way behind the 12-gauge, AR, Mini-14, or AK as a SD/HD weapon of choice. I might feel differently if I lived in CA, or somewhere else where the options are limited. Have to admit, though, that I wouldn't feel particularly "under-gunned" with the lever gun - I'd just rather the shotty or semi-auto. At SD ranges, I'd prefer 6 rounds of buckshot or 30 rounds of 5.56 or 7.62x39 to 5 rounds of .30-30. FWIW

Regards,
    Jim
    In case of an attack by a horde of zombies, I agree that I would take my Mini 14 over my Marlin 336...but how likely is that? Far more likely is the need to deal with vehicles or other cover (brush, trees, etc) - in that case, I'll take the 150-170 gr .30-30 rounds over the 55 - 77 gr 5.56 any day. I do think the semi-auto Mini 14 is a better choice for my wife - all she has to do is aim and pull the trigger.

For inside the home's safe room, final line of defense, I agree with you that the 12 gauge shotgun rules the roost.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

A good, well written piece Uli.

The lever gun is like most guns, to some degree, a niche gun. It does have a less omnious appearance and reputation than many other long guns.

With regard to ammo carry I use one of the below (AK, 4 mage pouch) with the dividers cut out and a piecc of tubular webbing tied through the belt loops. Cross shoulder it carries well, is relatively secure ammo wise and will hold up to 200 rounds.

AK47 East German Mag Pouch - Keepshooting®
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I love my Marlin 336SS...thanks for the post.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Every once in a while, the lever action rifle comes up as a SD, HD and/or SHTF rifle.

We always discuss the Marlins and Winchesters, a Rossi might be mentioned...

Why doesn't the Browning BLR get more mention?

One of the differences noted between the lever actions, and more popular semi-automatics, is the lower magazine capacity and reload drills of the lever action.

With the BLR, you get more caliber options, and a faster magazine reload than the more traditional lever actions. They are a bit more money, though.

Another good lever gun is the old Savage 99. While not manufactured anymore, it would be a good choice if you happened on a used one.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks for the great read! Helps me decide on my next purchase.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The repeating rifle was designed as a fighting gun from the start. It works just as good today as it did then, and is all anyone really needs outside of a war/LE scenario. It was the M4 of its day.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Every once in a while, the lever action rifle comes up as a SD, HD and/or SHTF rifle.

We always discuss the Marlins and Winchesters, a Rossi might be mentioned...

One of the differences noted between the lever actions, and more popular semi-automatics, is the lower magazine capacity and reload drills of the lever action.

With the BLR, you get more caliber options, and a faster magazine reload than the more traditional lever actions. They are a bit more money, though.

Another good lever gun is the old Savage 99. While not manufactured anymore, it would be a good choice if you happened on a used one.
    I took a look at the BLR. Nice, but much more $. IIRC, the mag only holds 4 rounds, and replacements are also $$. I'd rather have six rounds in the tube than 4 in a mag, especially since I can top the tube off. JMHO.
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I took a look at the BLR. Nice, but much more $. IIRC, the mag only holds 4 rounds, and replacements are also $$. I'd rather have six rounds in the tube than 4 in a mag, especially since I can top the tube off. JMHO.
    The magnum versions hold 4, but the standards are 5.

I prefer the tube versions, too. I just thought that the BLR deserved honorable mention.

ETA: the magazines are really expensive, too. One of the good points about lever action guns is that there generally affordable. Not the case with the BLR
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I would assume that it because of the historical lack of a detachable magazine and magazine capacity. The side-load feature of the Wichester 92 and 94 style guns also allow you to reload "as you go"' like many shotguns. Cost is also a factor.

OD*
    What's old is new again.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Colonel Custer would have approved!
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Excellent post. My SHTF gun is a '94 30 30 with a bandoleer. They are quick to the shoulder and easy to reload on the fly. I Love the people with ar's/ak's who own 2 mags and think they are "prepared"
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Cool thread.

Have had a model 94 Trapper model kept on hand long before I purchased an AR. Around the house I would certainly grab it, second only to my 870. Just not a fan of that AR.

My little Trapper is chambered in 45LC. It as Pop's when he used to cowboy action shoot. I shot it once and fell in love with how stinkin' accurate that little thing is. Made sure I snagged it when he gave up the action shooting.

BTW, the Corbon DPX 225gr +P is just plain nasty!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links