The Combat Lever Action Rifle

This is a discussion on The Combat Lever Action Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LOL, great idea... I had the same idea about 4 years ago. :) It's a neat concept and works well. I did it for deer ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The Combat Lever Action Rifle

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    LOL, great idea... I had the same idea about 4 years ago. :)

It's a neat concept and works well. I did it for deer hunting when our state FINALLY started allowing rifles (centerfire pistol calibers only).
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Every once in a while, the lever action rifle comes up as a SD, HD and/or SHTF rifle.

We always discuss the Marlins and Winchesters, a Rossi might be mentioned...

Why doesn't the Browning BLR get more mention?

One of the differences noted between the lever actions, and more popular semi-automatics, is the lower magazine capacity and reload drills of the lever action.

With the BLR, you get more caliber options, and a faster magazine reload than the more traditional lever actions. They are a bit more money, though.

Another good lever gun is the old Savage 99. While not manufactured anymore, it would be a good choice if you happened on a used one.
    I looked at the BLR, specifically because one version offered is a Takedown variant.
    A couple of points why this rifle did not make it into the article:

There are not many of these rifles around - and the intent of the article was to focus on those platform variations that are used by the vast majority of people.

The magazine is a nice feature to speed up your reloads, but the capacity is very limited and the mags cannot be topped off. Mags are also pricey and to carry a decent number of loads one would have to invest a significant amount of money.

Don't get me wrong, the BLR seems to be a good rifle, but it did not fit into the scope of an affordable and simplistic platform like the Marlin, Winchester and Rossi variants.
    Uli Gebhard
    Suarez International Staff Instructor California
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

+1. I've been looking for a takedown .357mag carbine version and can't seem to find any. Either they're rare or nonexistent. That would be the ideal carbine for me and pretty darn cool! Still a great thread!

the other issue with the mag fed BLR, you cannot keep the extra ammo on the gun - which kills the "grab and go" concept. Nice rifles though.

Quote Originally Posted by PIRob View Post
    +1. I've been looking for a takedown .357mag carbine version and can't seem to find any. Either they're rare or nonexistent. That would be the ideal carbine for me and pretty darn cool! Still a great thread!
    That would be a great rifle indeed. Looks like all the takedowns out there are box-magazine fed or chambered in classic lever rifle calibers or priced in the 4-digit range... bummer!
    Uli Gebhard
    Suarez International Staff Instructor California
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

For a well made take down tube fed lever gun look here.
    Wild West Guns - The Alaskan CoPilot

11A

For that price you can outfit a squad of neighbors with .30-30 lever guns - no thanks.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Man, that co-pilot is VERY cool! I wonder if they have a clinic onsite so I can sell them my kidney or something to pay for it

Great post.....I live in the same county and now you've got me thinking about that Winchester 94 sitting way in the back of my safe.....

If I remember correctly Taurus has a line of pump guns that are chambered for 45LC, 357mag, etc., but I believe they are anything but a carbine.

Definite long barrel.

Just a little food for thought.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Greetings, Gonzo,

I use my 336 .30-30 for hunting - I have better options for SD. BUT, if I had to rely on it for SD, I would use the same ammo I use for wild pigs - Hornady 160 gr. LeveRevolution. It gives 10-20% higher muzzle energy than a typical .30-30, and from what I've seen, the bullet design gives great expansion over a very wide range of velocities. It's also flatter-shooting, and extends the effective range of a .30-30 by about 100 yards. I have a few boxes of 'conventional' .30-30 ammo, but I'll load up with LeveRevolutions for anything other than plinking.

I like the LeveRevolution in .30-30 so much that I've stocked up on it in .44 Magnum as well, for when I go after a hog with my ol' 8" DW revolver. It's also available in .357. Not sure what other pistol calibers you might be considering, or what other pistol calibers LeveRevolution might be available in.

EDITED to add:
    Looks like LeveRevolution for handgun calibers is available in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt.
    Rifle calibers are .30-30, .308 Marlin Express, .32 Special, .338 Marlin Express, .35 Remington, .444 Marlin, .45-70, & .450 Marlin. Hope this helps.

FWIW... Enjoy!

Regards,
    Jim
    Kilowatt3:

There are lots of good .30-30 SD Rounds out there. Pardon my subjective analysis, but increasing muzzle velocity from a .30 Caliber Rifle in most common self-defense scenarios seems like a non-issue to me. Also, the LeverEvolution's rubber tip at common self defense scenario distances wouldn't seem to lend anything to their effectiveness over a conventional JHP round. Lastly, a box of LeverEvolutions around my local area are a few bucks more than other brands' rounds without the rubber tip, so why spend the extra money? Winchester's grey box 150 gr. hollow point is a great example of a fairly inexpensive round that works well in a self defense scenario, (If memory serves, I believe that this round is the one from which coroners coined the term "lead snowstorm" after autopsies of people killed by it.) Federal's 125 gr. JHP rounds are said to be good as well. I loaded up on the PMC Eldorado 150-Grain Starfire before they discontinued it. Kinda the DPX of its' time. Lastly, if you want to spend around double the price, the .30-30 DPX round is most likely the "gold standard" of .30-30 rounds in a SD Scenario. Personally, I would feel equally well protected with any of the above options in a SD Scenario.
    Last edited by bodhisattvya; April 24th, 2011 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Grammar

I really enjoyed your post. I've had my Winny on the market for a while. I'm taking it off! I think I'll put a red dot, sling and cuff on it and head to the range.
    Question Everything!

This thread has really got me hankering to dust of the ole model 94
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for the post.

cg

It seems like I only shoot my Marlin 336 when deer season is approaching. It's really a shame. The thing just feels "right" in my hands and comes to the shoulder like it belongs there.
    Thanks for the inspiration. I may not "tacticool" my trusty brush gun, but I have a feeling that I'll be sending more lead down-range and enjoying my carbine more.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links