The Combat Lever Action Rifle

This is a discussion on The Combat Lever Action Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thunder Ranch With A Not so Urban Rifle. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The Combat Lever Action Rifle

OD*
    Thunder Ranch With A Not so Urban Rifle.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Thunder Ranch With A Not so Urban Rifle.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/thunder_ranch.htm
    Nice article. I have read it before.

did you notice his custom flashlight mount?

Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

OD*
    Pretty slick, ain't it?

~ Tiger McKee

Two weeks ago, I had a lever-action going side-by-side with AR's and Saiga's in a combat rifle course. Here is a review of the class.
    In a CQB environment, the lever action, a Marlin 1894C was just as effective as the semi-autos.
    The only disadvantage was obviously the slower reloads, but as far as getting 3-5 rounds downrange while getting off the X, this little lever gun performed very well!
    Uli Gebhard
    Suarez International Staff Instructor California
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

Been on the fence about a Mini-14. Not into the AR thing, would rather put the cash into a 'reach out and touch someone' rifle. Being from the Northeast, we don't have many long range opportunities. Being from the Northeast, my first big rifle was a '94 in 30-30, used, pre-64. As I had it tapped for a scope mount, it's not worth as much, and after I put a few rounds through it a while back I decided to wipe the smile off my face and keep her. Now I have a plan!

I wouldn't underestimate the 30-30 cartridge, I sure wouldn't want to get hit with it.

CC

An interesting anecdote.

The lever action rifle (Henry) could well vie for the title of shoulder weapon having killed/wounded the most men in the hands of a single individual in a single day.

In 1867 during the Hayfield Fight near Fort C F SMith in Montana, a party cutting hay that consisted of around 28 soldiers and civilians were attacked by approximately 800 Sioux, Cheyenne and Arapaho warriors. One civilian, Al Colvin, a civilian war veteran and crack shot was in possession of a new sixteen shot Henry rifle. Estimates are that over the course of eight to ten hours of the fight, he killed and or wounded 250 to 400 warriors, with shots from twenty to one hundred yards.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

This is an interesting thread and as someone suffering from BRD I really don't need another firearms purchase to think about but the idea of a lever action rifle as a truck gun is interesting to say the least.

Going back to the Browning BLR one advantage I could see it having over all the others is in caliber selection, whereas the others are mainly the traditional lever action calibers the BLR could be had in 308 or 06. Of course I've always wanted one of the Marlin Guide guns too.
    One of the fundamental truths of the universe is that there isn't anything that cannot be improved with the addition of pirates, ninjas, strippers, midgets or monkeys.

"A car door is not cover. In fact a car is not cover. Cement is." - military contractor in Iraq 2004

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I knew a Texas State Trooper that carried a Winchester 94 between the seat and car door.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post

EDITED to add:
    Looks like LeveRevolution for handgun calibers is available in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Colt.
    The LEVERevolution .44 Mag load from Hornady is truly awesome when fired from a carbine.

It fires a 225 gr bullet at a muzzle velocity of 1,870 fps! At 50 yards, it is still travelling 1,629 fps, and delivering 1,325 ft/lbs of energy! Even at 100 yards, it is is going 1,416 fps, and delivering over 1,000 ft/lbs of energy!

And firing a .44 Mag out of a 6 lb rifle is very pleasant. It is not bad at all.

If I was to buy one of these rifles it would be the Marlin Model 1894SS, which is a stainless carbine in .44 Mag with a 20 inch barrel.

Makes sense if you have a .44 revolver...otherwise I'd choose the .30-30 for true rifle performance.

Here's the data on the 160 gr LEVERevolution - note that they give data out to 300 yards:

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 30-30 Win :: 30-30 Win 160 gr FTX® LEVERevolution®
    rhinokrk likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Colonel Custer would have approved!
    Custer was a POS that got what he had coming. Killed by the women he raped and whose children he butchered. Never ceases to amaze me how folks glorify rapists and baby killers.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Custer was a POS that got what he had coming. Killed by the women he raped and whose children he butchered. Never ceases to amaze me how folks glorify rapists and baby killers.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the Custer remark was tongue in cheek.

He fell at the Little Big Horn to warriors armed with lever action repeaters, IIRC.

ETA: Was Custer Outgunned?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

OD*
    The braves killed him, it was the squaws that ran sewing awls thru his ears because he wouldn't listen.

~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I may be wrong, but I believe that the Custer remark was tongue in cheek.
    In that case my over reaction. Gasmitty does seem like a good guy so nothing personal intended. I simply despise that a scum bag like custer a disgrace to the uniform he wore, is so glorified despite the pompous butcher and baby killer he was in reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    The braves killed him, it was the squaws that ran sewing awls thru his ears because he wouldn't listen.
    According to the elders back home he was alive when the women got to him, correct about the ears also tore him apart, dug his eyes out so the kids could use him as a punching bag in the after life. Hell truly has no fury like an enraged Oglala women. FYI that S word is equivalent to the English C word, about the most vile and vulgar reference to an Indigenous Woman possible. Not something you would want your mother called.

Sorry about the derail excellent topic and OP. Despite the down sides mentioned it is confirming my reasoning for wanting a .308 Browning BLR as my next gun buy. With modern optics it meets all of Jeff Cooper's criteria for a scout rifle, even though it is not his design,it does fit his criteria. Eliminates the need for dependance on LEVERevolution ammunition expanding my ammo options. Being break down I could throw it inside my pack should discretion be an issue or I just want to pack a carbine on the bike. Mags while expensive do provide me with a quick reload option as well as the ability carry and switch between a variety of different ammo for different needs.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

This is a great thread!! Thanks for the information. I'm being considered for a job in California...and was looking for an option other than my M4gery. I am seriously considering the combat lever-action rifle option.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links