Mini 14

Mini 14

This is a discussion on Mini 14 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know there are many mini 14 haters out there, but I just thought I would share my experience with my new tactical model. Out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Mini 14

Mini 14

I know there are many mini 14 haters out there, but I just thought I would share my experience with my new tactical model. Out of the box I cleaned it, and lubed it to a very minimal level. I left it almost dry. On Monday, I went to the range with 210 rounds. 140 rounds were Wolf that I purchased in 2006. 20 rounds were Tula. The rest were some brand of remanufactured ammo. This was the only brass cased ammo I used that day. Well, I had zero malfunctions, nothing. I was very pleased. I didnít shoot if for groups because the range I was using is only 25 yards. I was breaking clays that were missed by shot gunners at that range. Overall I couldnít be happier with this little carbine. When I get some more cash and time, I will take it out with a scope and some good ammo and shoot it for groups at 100 yards. I am expecting it to be a 2-3 MOA gun, and thatís good enough for what it is. I will post the results at some future date.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    I am expecting it to be a 2-3 MOA gun, and that’s good enough for what it is. I will post the results at some future date.
    My guess is you will be pleasantly surprised. My regular "580" range rifle shoots that well - it will consistently ring the 6" gong at 200 yards. Let us know how your target rifle works out.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

It's the tactical, not the target. But yes I will let you all know.

VIP Member
    I have one I bought in the 1980s a 182 series, great little rifle and fun to shoot and quite accurate. The only problem I have encountered is most aftermarket mags are not very reliable in mine but Ruger mags work perfectaly.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I have one I bought in the 1980s a 182 series, great little rifle and fun to shoot and quite accurate. The only problem I have encountered is most aftermarket mags are not very reliable in mine but Ruger mags work perfectaly.
    I will stick with Ruger mags, they cost a bit, but I can live with the prices I have seen on CDNN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmorgan View Post
    I will stick with Ruger mags, they cost a bit, but I can live with the prices I have seen on CDNN.
    Keep an eye on Ruger's website, a while back they had a sale on 20 round mags for $19.95, picked up a bunch at that price.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Keep an eye on Ruger's website, a while back they had a sale on 20 round mags for $19.95, picked up a bunch at that price.
    Wow, will do, thanks for the tip!

Administrator
    The mini-14 always got a bad rap. Yes, it can't compete with a good AR in the accuracy department, but neither can an AK.... yet we don't see much bashing on the AK for it. The mini is a good rifle for its intended purpose as is the AK or AR.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have an old school 1978 ranch rifle converted to a-team style. I like it.

I've always thought the Mini-14 was a very smooth shooting rifle, much more so than an AK or AR. That recoil system was designed for much more powerful rounds, and I have always found that with .223, even on rapid fire, it does a very good job of negating recoil, and staying on target.

And they are plenty "combat accurate" if the operator knows what they are doing.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The mini-14 always got a bad rap. Yes, it can't compete with a good AR in the accuracy department, but neither can an AK.... yet we don't see much bashing on the AK for it. The mini is a good rifle for its intended purpose as is the AK or AR.
    I agree, I am fine with the accuracy. I'm not and never will be a benchrest shooter, but the mini will do fine at Outbreak Omega this summer!

VIP Member
    Hey, folks, as it happens, I've fell into a bunch of 20 and 30 round Ruger mags for the Mini-14. As a "hater" (had a lemon in the 80s, and just don't see any need at all to ever get another considering I have several ARs), I won't ever be using them. They are all in very good shape, all Ruger manufacture, all black. That's about all I know of them at the moment, as I haven't had a chance to really inspect them. If any of your Mini shooters are interested, I could put them up for sale at very reasonable prices.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I believe that the mini-14 has traditionally been a 3 MOA shooter. Which is unacceptable for some folks. I guess it all depends on your intended use.

All that I can say is +1 Sixto
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

With a scope, I get sub-2 MOA at 100 yards with a hot barrel and cheap ammo with mine. I had an M16 in the Army, and I had a Saiga AK that I sold off due to poor reliability. I'll take the Mini 14 any day.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I put an Amegaranges forward optics rail on my Mini-14. It really helps stiffen up the barrel along with giving you somewhere to put a forward optic. I also put in a smaller gas port bushing to keep from throwing brass so far. I get 2 MOA easily with a 1X red dot off a bipod. The receiver stays much, much cleaner than an AR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links