Mini-14/AR-15 Mag Question

This is a discussion on Mini-14/AR-15 Mag Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, Since getting my new (and first) AR-15, I started a renewed interest in my ol' Mini-14's, and have been taking stock of what ...

Thread: Mini-14/AR-15 Mag Question

Mini-14/AR-15 Mag Question

Hi All,

Since getting my new (and first) AR-15, I started a renewed interest in my ol' Mini-14's, and have been taking stock of what ammo, etc., I've got on the shelf. I have a couple of "Ram-Line MAC 1530" plastic magazines for the Mini-14 that I notice have embossed on them, "For: Mini-14, M-16, AR-15, AR-180".

I was not aware that there were mags that would work for both the Mini-14 and the AR-15, but it appears that these mags will seat properly in the AR. I have not tried with them loaded, and have not tried shooting them in the AR, but they appear to fit OK and lock into place like they should.

Anyone have an experience using these mags in both weapons? They are pretty obviously not the same quality as the Magpuls, but if there IS a quality mag that will work in both guns, that would sure be a plus. My Magpul AR mags will clearly NOT fit in the Mini-14's.

I'd appreciate any well-informed thoughts on the subject!

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The AR mags have a hole on the side to engage the mag latch whereas Mini-14 mags have a hole in the front and a block on the back to retain them, I have never seen a mag with both types of engagement to make them interchangeable.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The AR mags have a hole on the side to engage the mag latch whereas Mini-14 mags have a hole in the front and a block on the back to retain them, I have never seen a mag with both types of engagement to make them interchangeable.
    Thanks for the post!

The Ram-Line mag does have both - I'm just wondering if any others do. I don't think the Ram-Lines are made any more, and in any case, they don't seem to be a real high-quality mag. I suspect that I'll be better off with the Magpuls for the AR, and original Ruger mags for the Mini-14's, but was kinda hoping there MIGHT be a decent mag out there that would work for both.

Regards,
    Jim

Links