Ruger SR-556E, budget piston rifle

This is a discussion on Ruger SR-556E, budget piston rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; well...ruger just released their E series of AR 15s...everything u need and nothing u dont.... Ruger® SR-556E no iron sights, full top rail, left and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackJack
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn

Thread: Ruger SR-556E, budget piston rifle

well...ruger just released their E series of AR 15s...everything u need and nothing u dont....

Ruger® SR-556E

no iron sights, full top rail, left and right rail sold seperately, one magazine, piston design. adjustable butt stock, cold hammer forge barrel.

MSRP $1369.00

great!

kinda mad cuz i bought a mini 14...wish i waited and saved for this one instead.

Looks like it's still double the price of a mini, though.

I'm on the fence about piston-driven ARs.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

what's the argument against, more felt recoil?
    I was checking the Ruger out as well. I like the hammer-forged barrel and some of the features of the SR-556.What are the pro's and con's of piston systems?
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

VIP Member
    I think the con is that it's more than twice what I paid for my direct impingement gun.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

GM
    I think the price is a little too high
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    what's the argument against, more felt recoil?
    I was checking the Ruger out as well. I like the hammer-forged barrel and some of the features of the SR-556.What are the pro's and con's of piston systems?
    The only three arguments against, that I have ever heard are:

1. They tend to be much more expensive than the DI guns. Yes they are a bit more expensive.
    2. They are heavier. This one I am not sure I entirely agree with. This argument implies a drastic increase in weight because of having a piston rather than a gas tube and I just do not see that much of a difference. The bigger weight increase is in the railed hand guard, which has nothing to do with the piston vs. DI argument.
    3. The piston and a solution looking for a problem, the DI runs just fine as long as it is properly maintained and lubed. This is one that I disagree with. First, not everything is a solution to a problem, sometimes it is just a matter of preference. Second, the condition of being able to properly maintain and lube your firearm may not always be possible or realistic. Yes, if you can properly maintain and lube your AR all the time, it should be fine. However, imagine a Katrina situation...how do you know you are going to have the supplies readily available to “properly maintain and lube” your AR? What will happen to it if you are unable to clean and/or lube it while being out in adverse weather conditions for 3 weeks? Will it still work like it should? I don't know.

With that being said, I do not have any real prejudice one way or the other. I think it is a personal preference. I just wish that I didn't see so much piston bashing by those that think the DI is the only way to go. There is nothing wrong with the DI system, I also do not think that there is anything wrong with the piston system. You should go with whichever you prefer and feel comfortable with.
    Pepsi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    The only three arguments against, that I have ever heard are:

1. They tend to be much more expensive than the DI guns. Yes they are a bit more expensive.
    2. They are heavier. This one I am not sure I entirely agree with. This argument implies a drastic increase in weight because of having a piston rather than a gas tube and I just do not see that much of a difference. The bigger weight increase is in the railed hand guard, which has nothing to do with the piston vs. DI argument.
    3. The piston and a solution looking for a problem, the DI runs just fine as long as it is properly maintained and lubed. This is one that I disagree with. First, not everything is a solution to a problem, sometimes it is just a matter of preference. Second, the condition of being able to properly maintain and lube your firearm may not always be possible or realistic. Yes, if you can properly maintain and lube your AR all the time, it should be fine. However, imagine a Katrina situation...how do you know you are going to have the supplies readily available to “properly maintain and lube” your AR? What will happen to it if you are unable to clean and/or lube it while being out in adverse weather conditions for 3 weeks? Will it still work like it should? I don't know.

With that being said, I do not have any real prejudice one way or the other. I think it is a personal preference. I just wish that I didn't see so much piston bashing by those that think the DI is the only way to go. There is nothing wrong with the DI system, I also do not think that there is anything wrong with the piston system. You should go with whichever you prefer and feel comfortable with.
    If your AR is properly lubed at the outset of your Katrina-esque scenario, and it's a good quality AR, it'll take literally thousands of rounds before it's function becomes an issue due to lack of upkeep. And I would say, if you have access to that much ammo, you should probably have a can of Breakfree as well.

I'll also add that piston AR's add a new issue to the mix--carrier tilt--that DI guns don't have.

If one wants a piston driven 5.56 system, I think that one that has been designed from the get-go as a piston--say a Sig 556 or a ACR--is a better choice for the money.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    If your AR is properly lubed at the outset of your Katrina-esque scenario, and it's a good quality AR, it'll take literally thousands of rounds before it's function becomes an issue due to lack of upkeep. And I would say, if you have access to that much ammo, you should probably have a can of Breakfree as well.
    HA ha! I was thinking this very same thing and then you posted it. Perfect!
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

For that price, you can buy a Mini 14 and a lever gun...oh wait...I did!
    Cory1022 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Could be, I don't have the experience to judge this one way or the other, thus my comment “I don't know”. I did not say, nor did I mean to imply that the DI system would fail. I simply threw out a question I have in my own mind, and then qualified it by saying that I don't know the answer myself.

I'll also add that piston AR's add a new issue to the mix--carrier tilt--that DI guns don't have.
    My understanding is that “carrier tilt” has largely been dealt with and is no longer an issue, but again I do not have the experience to judge this.

My main point was that I see a lot of derogatory comments about the piston system simply because some advocates of the DI system don't see any need to move away from what they like. That is fine for them, but just because they have, and are happy with, the DI system is no reason to degrade the piston system. The choice of DI vs. Piston should be a personal choice based on the preferences and comfort level of the person making the purchase.

As has been said before, it seems a bit pricey for a budget/entry-level model.

Check my post on the Stag model 8 range test; it is a piston gun and I paid roughly $1,000.00 bucks for it, with flip-up irons......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I just purchased a Ruger SR556E. So far, it seems to be a great rifle and much better than I expected from an "entry level" piston gun. I have several DI and a couple pistons (Sig and LWRC), and this one is near the top of my list for favorites. The selling point for me is the forward grip, which I understand to be proprietary to Ruger. It feels great in my hands and has threaded holes to add short 1913 rails as needed for lights, verts, etc... I personally am not a fan of the bulky quad rail setups and this is just what i like. The barrel profile is shocking. Ruger didn't follow the pack with the M4 profile and instead went to a near heavy barrel profile, which i really like. Fully outfitted, weight is not an issue and comparable to average. I believe the bolt tilt issue is nonexistent on this weapon. Bang for the buck, this is an outstanding package. As for DI vs. piston, I have been known to run a couple thousand rounds in a day. I strive to keep my weapons in the utmost operating condition at all times. Tragically, with this kind of round count between cleanings, a DI gun is likely to start having failures due to carbon fouling and debris in the BCG... A piston gun eliminates this issue, however, it moves the trouble area. On a piston driven setup, the piston tends to foul up, and is alot easier to remove and clean in a hurry if need be. I do not have a favorite between operating systems, both have perks, and both have flaws. Do your research prior to forking out the cash for anything and get the weapon that fits your needs. Each person has there own needs and likes that should play into the ultimate decision of their purchase. I would highly recommend Ruger's SR556e to anyone looking to get reasonably priced piston operated AR. I feel it is excellent package for the price and gives many options for end-user customization.

Colt 6920 is cheaper, and no carrier-tilt feature. ;)

Sponsored Links