What is your Home Defense Rifle? - Page 3

What is your Home Defense Rifle?

This is a discussion on What is your Home Defense Rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ar-15/870...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What is your Home Defense Rifle?

Ar-15/870
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Sks

If I thought I would need a rifle for home defense, I might as well go for the sandbag emplacements in the windows as well.

For now, a Custom Mossberg 500ATP-8 will be the only long weapon needed.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Marlin 1894C .357

Will probably be trading that in on a .30-30 soon.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

One of my M-4's for now but will probably go to my newly gotten Century L1A1 in the near future after I shot it enough to trust it.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    If they're far enough away to be safe from the 12ga, I got lot's of time to figure out how big of a hole to put it em'. And I have lot's of choices to pick between .17 and .375.

My primary home defense rifle (and home defense longarm), a registered SBR:

I can operate this reliably with one hand (it stays loaded), it will stop man, beast, or Godzilla from 1-300m+, and it's proven reliable.

If I have to have a short home defense weapon with potential, this was it and I built it for that, range fun, and urban unhappiness scenarios.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Sponsor
    My g26 sits next to the bed with front night sight on it when in bed, sits where I'm at when not in bed. 11 rds in the gun, 11 more in the spare mag if I need it right near it, and enough ammo in that room to keep anyone/s from getting to myself and the wife.

She loads, I shoot If I need morethan 22 rds on hand without reloading for a house gun, it's not just an intruder we are talking about to my thinking.

If I thought I needed more than that for home defense I'd choose the 30-30 lever or maybe the stevens 12 ga double.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Carbon 15 Bushmaster.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Winchester Model 94 Trails End in .357 mag. I love lever action. This is my only long gun, but if I wanted a better SHTF weapon, I'd seriously consider an M1 carbine. I had one years ago and it was sweet.

No longer keep a rifle handy just the shotgun usually 1300 winchester defender

Rifle ??

Personally I am not an advocate of using a rifle for home defense. Using an AR/15 poses some liability if not used with a 50 grain franible round. I cant honestly imagine using a high powered rifle of any kind for Home Defense. I know of one person who has a select full auto AR/15 and intends to use the "Fun Button" if faced with a deadly threat. The problem with this that he does not even possess a minimum skill level of training on full auto. Can you imagine squeezing off a 3 round burst that ends up being a 7-10 round burst ? Lot's indiscrimatory bullets being thrown through the neighborhood with over penetration and high probability of blinding muzzle flashes, further adding to a possible botched attempt at home defense. There's a reason that full auto is not a preferred option in combat scenarios, let alone for home defense where the urban climate has become your back drop.

As for a lever action pistol caliber rifle, it too poses some possible unforeseen mistakes due to the length of the rifle. One could lose it to the bad guy coming out of the door way of your bedroom or around a corner where the bad guy can tackle the barrel that peaks around the corner before you do !!

If your going to use a pistol caliber, do your self a favor and use a pistol !! Along with a solid 120 lumens hand held light, only while on the move, and shutting off the illumination as you move to conceal your position within in your home. Theres nothing worse than illuminating the whole room and giving your position to the bad guy before you identify him or her as a threat. Remember, your light suddenly might become a bullet buffer.

I understand that every ones homes are different in design and square foot of household. I live in a rather small condo and I have a lethal field of fire from my bedroom door to both the hallway entry door way and the outer doorway leading to the pool. a rifle in my situation is simply a cumbersome employment of an othewise poor choice of home defense firearms. This may or may not hold true of other home designs where a rifle or shotgun is perfectly suitable while standing at the top of the stairs with a safe distance between you and your identified threat.

As for what rifles I have at the ready, it's my Benelli M1 Super 90 tacical with Surefire foreend tactical light with pressure pad, and the extended shot shell tube with following buffer. Although I am more adapt to use the H&K USP .40 S&W that is my night stand weapon.

Oh, yeah, the Benelli isn't exactly a rifle, but it is a longbow of sorts. Just to clear that up before any one make the point of telling me that a Shotgun is not a rifle.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

At the bedside, an M&P .40 (soon ti be equipped with a SureFire X200B LED WeaponLight).

During waking hours, either a S&W 642 .38sp or Sig P239 SAS .40 on my hip.

I would think a 16" lever gun would be more handy than an 18.5" Shotgun.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Skygod, don't forget some homes are built such that a rifle round isn't going to exit the house. And based on tests I've read about, any slug is going to penetrate multiple interior walls. For example, my house in FL is Concrete Block, with plaster walls on the inside and a facia of regular brick on the outside. So long as I don't shoot through a window, and don't aim towards a GG in my house, I should be good with a rifle. Now I'm looking for a shotgun or an M1 carbine, but I feel ok with using my handgun to get to my SKS.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links